Gransnet forums

Local

Books that have moved you

(8 Posts)
lucycakeface Mon 12-Oct-15 22:27:07

Has anybody ever read a book that has given you that "wow" factor? I have just read "The French Gardener" by Santa Montefiore. Now I'm not into romantic novels, but this book was amazing. It was magical, sad, passionate and humorous.
During the final two chapters I cried with sadness and with hapiness. I honestly cannot remember a book that has ever moved me so much!

ButtonLiz Tue 13-Oct-15 20:39:54

Any book by Victoria Hisslop. The Thread....The Island.......The Retuurn. Very strong books and very moving.

Captain Corellis Mandolin.......wonderful ( not the film )

Mrso Tue 13-Oct-15 21:20:15

Before you jojo Moyles

stillhere Tue 13-Oct-15 22:54:27

Yes, The French Gardener was lovely. Ooh, so many... Kazuo Ishiguro, Never Let Me Go. Nothing like TFG, but I was very moved. The Elegance of The Hedgehog, by Muriel Barbery. I really loved that one. Loads of emotions! My favourite book from the past two years has been Maps for Lost Lovers, by Nadeem Aslan. So many emotions in that one, and so beautifully written.

stillhere Tue 13-Oct-15 22:55:48

PS Norfolk/Suffolk border! Norfolk is at the bottom of my garden, pretty much.

lucycakeface Wed 14-Oct-15 15:46:35

Hi Stillhere, I am not usually in to weepy books, but I am so glad I read TFG. Being a gardener it was extra special for me, such a beautiful book in so many ways. You must be Bungay way?

stillhere Wed 14-Oct-15 20:03:53

I am/was a gardener too.

No, I am south of Thetford. So don't tend to go into Norfolk much, as we are so close to Bury, although I do love Norwich.

downtoearth Thu 15-Oct-15 13:42:31

Before you Jojo Moyes