Gransnet forums

Local

Have you heard of Mrs Savidge, the lady who moved her house?

(12 Posts)
lucycakeface Thu 15-Oct-15 13:19:31

Has anybody heard of Mrs Savidge? This incredible lady had her Hertfordshire house taken down brick by brick and beam by beam and transported it to Wells-next-the sea, where she spent 25 years having it rebuilt. I saw the book about this in my local library and read it with great admiration.
Her Niece is going to tell the story on 30th October at the Queens Hall in Watton. I really wish I lived a bit nearer as I can imagine it will be quite a good afternoon.

downtoearth Thu 15-Oct-15 13:46:31

Am going to put that date in my diary sounds really interesting...not far from watton

Treebee Thu 15-Oct-15 20:41:06

Ooh, DM lives there, I'll let her know!

lucycakeface Fri 16-Oct-15 10:22:54

Thats great, I have entered the details on the whats on section under "others". Funnily enough I have just been telling Hubby about this event. I am thinking of getting in touch to find out if she is doing the presentation elsewhere in the county. If anybody goes, please please update us on the forum, it will be so interesting.

downtoearth Sat 17-Oct-15 11:51:40

I live quite near Watton and I am going to go,the cost is £5 for adults £3 for under 16 if any one is interested the post code for the venue is IP25 6DA and situated in the middle of watton

Treebee Sat 07-Nov-15 21:54:53

Thanks for posting about this. My Mum and her beau went and really enjoyed it.

downtoearth Sun 08-Nov-15 15:35:28

I also went wonder if I was sitting any where near your mum...I have also been googling and the house is now a b&b owned by the niece Christine Adams it is named Ware Hall House,and is in wells next the sea.As I am living near swaffham I might find out if they serve afternoon tea with visit with my friend who was unable to go to the talk ...

lucycakeface Wed 18-Nov-15 16:06:06

I am so glad that some of you managed to go and thanks so much for mentioning it again. I always try and add interesting events on here and as I already knew of this story I thought it would appeal to others. There is actually a book available with the whole story in it. I got mine from the library. It was quite interesting to start with but became a bit too descriptive to hold my attention. The author kept on mentioning bus tickets and shopping receipts etc with dates and journeys on them (yawn) and I gave up in the end. Thats why I really would love to have attended the event. Does anybody know if she is doing anymore events around Nofolk?
By the way the B&B sounds brilliant. I must check it out on my next visit to WNTS!

NfkDumpling Wed 18-Nov-15 16:12:17

What's the book called Lucy? The story rings a bell, and I had assumed it was just that - a story.

lucycakeface Wed 25-Nov-15 21:45:48

Hi NfkDumpling, this is the book I found it on Amazon. I think you can get it from the library under the local section.

NfkDumpling Thu 26-Nov-15 07:23:22

Thanks. I'll get it from the library.

(Hope your DH is on the mend)

NfkDumpling Thu 26-Nov-15 07:26:24

Sorry! I then read the other thread, that he'd been off around the supermarket!