Gransnet forums

Local

(20 Posts)
Sunnymorning Fri 05-Feb-16 10:55:41

Hi to all in Herts. Have just introduced myself on the main forum (lots of replies - such a friendly site!) and would also love to say hello to anyone in my local area, I live in st Albans, and have 2 grandchildren with a 3rd one expected at the end of June. Best wishes, Izzy x

GMT6 Thu 11-Feb-16 13:13:26

Hi Izzy, I too am in St Albans, Hertfordshire Gransnet doesn't seem to be very active, but welcome anyway. I have six grandchildren, June is not that long away now for you to wait! :-)

Sunnymorning Sun 14-Feb-16 16:17:44

Hi GMT6, thanks for your message. Nice to chat to a a 'neighbour'
Six grandchildren - that is marvellous, how old is your youngest one? They sure keep us busy don't they!
Yes June is pretty close, a lovely month for a new granchild to arrive, am so looking forward to it (though he hasn't got a name yet!)

Teddy8 Sat 20-Feb-16 15:48:25

Hi, I am in Hemel which is not a million miles from St. Albans. I have just one grand daughter at the moment just turned 2 which is such a lovely age. Although there may well be another one in the future I will never catch up with 6! They must keep you busy.

GMT6 Sun 21-Feb-16 08:59:27

Sorry for the delay, been away. Two are in Spain, so can only send letters (Skype deemed too risky by parents), but we look after the other four on a regular basis each week.

Are you a knitter Izzy? are you making baby things?

GMT6 Sun 21-Feb-16 09:00:53

And Hi TeddyB, Hemil is indeed not far away!

GMT6 Sun 21-Feb-16 17:27:41

Or even Hemel - more haste less speed! smile

Sunnymorning Mon 22-Feb-16 14:17:16

Hi to GMT6 and Teddy8,

Not really a knitter I'm afraid, (often wish I'd had the patience to learn 'properly' when I was young) but as DD2 is having another baby boy she is
well stocked up with baby clothes and says we dont need to add anything..(though of course we probably will!)

Teddy, yes Hemel is just down the road...often go and shop there as
pop into the Asda car park - more convenient than trying to park in St Albans, and better selection of shops I think.

GMT6 Tue 23-Feb-16 19:41:57

I love the shops in Christopher Place, just can't afford to shop in them!

Which are your favourite coffe/lunch stops?

Sunnymorning Thu 03-Mar-16 10:35:54

Hi GMT6, sorry only just seen your message!

Yes the shops in Christopher Place are really nice, but expensive - I browse rather than buy!

As for coffe and lunch hmmm...there are SO many in st Albans aren't there?
I am still looking for one I like that's priced reasonably enough to pop in often. In the Summer its very pleasant to sit outside on the patio at Abigail's
which is at the end of that little old-fashioned arcade opposite the clock tower (can't remember what its called!)

joannapiano Thu 03-Mar-16 11:55:56

Hello Sunnymorning. My friend and I were shopping in St Albans yesterday, but the market was packing up early as they were getting blown away by the strong wind. We had coffee in Caffe Nero.
I live in South Herts.

Sunnymorning Sat 05-Mar-16 13:24:12

Hi Joannapiano, yes I have visited Caffe Nero (think that is the one near market place...?) and it is nice, but the very informal seating situation means it gets very quickly filled up! Are you new to gransnet like me or have
you been around a while?

joannapiano Sat 05-Mar-16 21:25:08

I have been here since the start! Mumsnet is too strident for me. We have 8 DGC, 16 years down to 21 months.
We moved to Herts and down-sized 10 years ago.

Abe49 Wed 04-May-16 08:12:29

Hello everyone. I am new to this site and quite new to Bishops Stortford so don't know many people here. I have 8 grandchildren (including two step grandchildren) from 24yrs to 5 months so we are kept busy.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 04-May-16 10:19:56

Hello Abe49 and welcome to Gransnet - I went to school in Bishop's Stortford! Hope you're settling in well flowers

BBbevan Wed 04-May-16 16:03:03

Hi everyone ,I'm from Hemel too.
That old fashioned arcade used to be Lyons Cafe in the 60s It still has some of the original mirrors there.
We always shop in St. Albans and often have breakfast at Carluccios.

Abe49 Fri 06-May-16 08:21:38

Thanks Lucy. I still miss my old life in London but BS is anice place to live. Just can't get used to not having Central Line 5 mins away and bumping in to people I have known for years in local shops etc. anyone else know what's I mean?

joannapiano Fri 06-May-16 09:28:09

We lived in London for 30 years and moved to this small town 10 years ago. I have got to know people by taking DGC to the local Toddler group and joining our wonderful Community Choir.
We bump into lots of people, now! Everyone takes the time to say Goodmorning, and pass the time of day.
I go back to our old area quite often, as my friend has moved there. I never see anyone I know, now!

Louise42 Mon 23-May-16 22:55:55

I live in sunny Hemel. Does anyone fancy meeting for a coffee either Hemel or St. Albans?

Hobbit55 Sun 05-Jun-16 07:50:02

Good morning from Berkhamsted. Just joined, looks a lovely site. I have a 10 month old grandson....I see some postings from the Hemel and St. Albans area, is anybody interested in meeting for coffee?