Gransnet forums

Local

Silver Stories.

(1 Post)
Jane390 Thu 28-Apr-16 19:21:36

As we all know loneliness and isolation is an increasing issue in our society.
A new project was launched earlier this year by a Headteacher in Plymouth, it is called Silver Stories, communicating across the generations through reading over the telephone.
Once an older person is identified who might like to be involved, and a visit is arranged to explain the project, a member of staff rings the Silver Listener and then hands over to a pupil, the telephone is on speaker phone so that everything that is said can be heard.
The pupil reads a chapter of their reading book or a poem, it takes around 5-6 minutes.
One Silver Listener said " You have made my day and you have put a big smile on my face."
The children benefit building their confidence in their reading skills and it links the children with older members of the community, which helps to diminish their chances of feeling isolated.
I went to meet the children and staff to see it in action and it is a brilliant project, several schools in Bristol are all ready onboard.
Dame Esther Rantzen who launched it says ," There are people who don't have the benefit of conversations and contact with younger people, I hope that this concept will spread once people get to hear about it. Silver Stories is a wonderful idea."
If you know of a school who might like to get involved or you think you would like to be a Silver Listener please contact me.