Gransnet forums

Local

Voluntary work for men

(4 Posts)
dollyjo Mon 23-Jan-17 11:11:12

Thank you all, i have passed on your ideas to him.

jayd33 Fri 20-Jan-17 18:57:16

do-it.org/

The link above is to a website where you can search volunteer opportunities across teh country. The opportunities cover a range of roles in different industries.

As a former fireman, I am sure the Derbyshire Fire and Rescue service would be overjoyed for him to join their volunteer programme which includes roles such as event campaigners and home safety officers and many more. here is the link: www.derbys-fire.gov.uk/volunteering/

And Chesterfield have their own volunteer centre which have a number of volunteer opportunities.
chesterfieldvolunteercentre.wordpress.com/

Hope these are useful.

kittylester Mon 16-Jan-17 16:46:27

Men in Sheds, voluntary driving, The Canal and Rivers Trust were looking for volunteers!

dollyjo Mon 16-Jan-17 16:39:55

I have just had a visit from a relative. He is an active 65yrs old, widower, ex-fireman and living alone. Reasonably new to Chesterfield and so no past local network of ex-workmates or friends.
I think it took a lot of courage for him to come and tell me that he is'bored' because some days he does't see a soul. He came to ask me if I had any suggestions of voluntary work he could do or of 'groups that welcome men. He doesn't want to work in a shop, he hates gardening and he found members if U3A to be 'older in years and attitude hen he joined.
Does anyobe have any ideas that I can pass on to him.