Gransnet forums

Local

Alternative to Streetlife

(11 Posts)
Scribbles Sat 10-Feb-18 11:51:19

I really miss Streetlife, too and disliked Nextdoor from the start when I was commanded to print off flyers to put through my neighbours' doors. I detest and resist the intrusion of junk mail so I was never going to do that! I deleted the account when I realised my address was visible to all.
I signed up for Kahuti, too but my experience has been like BlueBelle's - apart from a little conversation in Boston, absolutely nothing going on in the rest of Lincs and a fair chunk of Notts.

MissAdventure Sat 10-Feb-18 10:10:57

I miss streetlife. I don't belong to Facebook, and nextdoor felt as if it went against all the advice not to give out too much info online.

Charleygirl Sat 10-Feb-18 09:28:32

The local police have recently joined my local Nextdoor so that can only improve it. I also did not like giving so many personal details but I have been able to give help and also receive some.

Pittcity Sat 10-Feb-18 09:17:36

I must admit that I gave up on Kahuti soon after I wrote the second post. I now use local Facebook groups and am looking forward to seeing how the new Gransnet Local forums develop.

BlueBelle Sat 10-Feb-18 08:00:21

Depends on your area Graygran ideal in a small safe location not so good if you live amongst a transient population of bedsits

GrayGran Sat 10-Feb-18 07:58:38

I'm quite happy with Nextdoor - I only stick to my immediate neighbourhood, so there are only about 13 households on there.

Thanks to Nextdoor, a wonderful woman and her teenage son came to help me weed and prune my elderly immediate neighbour's rosebed outside his front door when he was terminally ill. It made him so happy before he died.

BlueBelle Sat 10-Feb-18 07:48:44

I must add Kahuti is a US business and as such there are no U.K. data law to protect you so do be careful

BlueBelle Sat 10-Feb-18 07:44:47

I joined Kahuti last year and it was dreadful nothing at all happening in my area although I opened my area out to the whole county and half the next one but it was dire and nobody posted anything except complaints that no body posted anything I gave it six months and then deleted it
It may be better in some areas than others perhaps London or city areas but there was simply NO footfall at all where I am

MindBodyMoment Sat 10-Feb-18 07:40:20

I found Nextdoor too "nosey" and noisy. Thanks for the heads-up re: Kahuti, I've just created an account to see what it is like

Pittcity Fri 24-Mar-17 16:13:37

After experimenting with both I think I prefer Kahuti.com.
Mixing it with Gransnet Local means I can keep up with What's On locally.

Pittcity Sun 19-Feb-17 19:28:20

A lot of gransnetters were also members of Streetlife. This local website has now been taken over by Nextdoor. Many people are not happy to have to disclose their address and so are looking for an alternative.
I hope that you enjoy chatting and exchanging recommendations on these local Gransnet pages.
I have also joined Kahuti.com which has recently launched in the UK and am interested to see how it develops.
What do you think?