Gransnet forums

Local

Retiring in Norfolk - best place to live?

(8 Posts)
Annie2 Thu 02-Mar-17 10:27:20

Good morning all!
I have recently retired and my husband is due to retire soon. I am 61, hubby is a little younger. We are hoping to retire to Norfolk, as we have visited many times and really love the way of life there. I was wondering whether you lovely people could recommend any good places to live, taking into account healthcare and activities for people of our age? We currently live in a village in North Yorkshire, so we are not afraid of being quite rural! Thank you in anticipation.

omipips Thu 02-Mar-17 17:23:28

I lived in Norfolk for a short time in the 90s and my favourite place was Wroxham, its not far from anywhere but does get really busy during the tourist season. Wells is lovely too

Annie2 Thu 02-Mar-17 17:48:54

Thanks, omipips. We have visited both Wroxham and Wells, and they are both lovely places. I think the problem may be that we're spoilt for choice! smile

lucycakeface Fri 03-Mar-17 16:55:53

Hi Annie2. I live in South Norfolk between Diss and Bungay. It's lovely here, but public transport is not very good. Do you have a car? I don't think there are any bad areas in Norfolk.

downtoearth Fri 03-Mar-17 18:48:17

Hello annie2
I am west Norfolk...swaffham,small market town good bus links mid point between city of Norwich and Kings Lynn, have been here 9 years

Annie2 Sat 04-Mar-17 11:55:34

Thank you so much to everyone who has posted their recommendations. We do have a car at the moment, but obviously that may not always be the case as we get older, so public transport is definitely a consideration. We're going to have a good scout round in a couple of weeks, so we'll have a look at the places you have mentioned.

omipips Sat 04-Mar-17 18:56:13

Aylsham is lovely too

Enon Tue 28-Mar-17 08:46:37

I live in a village nearFakenham and love it. There is a bus stop just round the corner so if I have to give up the car I can still get to kings lynn, Fakenham, Norwich or Wells.