Gransnet forums

Local

Win a hardback copy of Rachel Hore's latest book, The House on Bellevue Gardens!

(135 Posts)
GrannyPatchwork Fri 03-Mar-17 20:41:49

Rachel Hore is a Richard and Judy Book Club author whose latest book tells the story of the lives of different characters in the present and the recent past.

To win a copy of Rachel's book The House on Bellevue Gardens, tell us what kind of fiction you usually read - is it contemporary, historical, futuristic, stories about time travel? If you'd like to recommend a book to other gransnetters, that's good too!

Competition closes Friday 17th March. Winner announced here on Saturday 18th.

heatherjw Sat 04-Mar-17 13:20:23

the genre of book I read has varied over the years. In my teens and early 20s I read a lot of historical fiction. Nowadays I just enjoy a well written story. I am currently reading a Maggie O'Farrell story set in the 1976 heatwave, which I am sure many Gransnetters will remember.

GrannyPatchwork Sat 04-Mar-17 14:33:50

Thanks Heather - oh yes do I remember the summer of 76! Youth hosteling around the Lake District and getting heat stroke!

janeyf Mon 06-Mar-17 16:14:46

I like to read thrillers or if going on holiday - light-hearted stories set in seaside locations

moonray Mon 06-Mar-17 16:26:06

I normally enjoy contemporary fiction, but also fantasy and science fiction..I love letting my imagination run wild

granh1 Mon 06-Mar-17 18:21:35

Historical fiction is my favourite genre.

hartley123 Mon 06-Mar-17 19:34:39

DETECTIVE NOVELS - ED MCBAIN AGATHA CHRISTIE

beckyinman Mon 06-Mar-17 20:45:52

I like a crime thriller (nothing too scary though or I'll never sleep!)

gillogg Mon 06-Mar-17 21:18:54

I love a good crime thriller. Doesn't matter whether it is set in America or the U.K. However, since joining G.N. book club I have received several books of a different genre and have enjoyed historical, modern novels and some biography. Now I am more open to try any new books.

wallers5 Tue 07-Mar-17 06:42:53

I love Historical fiction & autobiographies. Just read the English agent by Clare Harvey, which I loved. Full of twists & turns.

Liz46 Tue 07-Mar-17 07:38:45

I like a variety of books but the two that first came to mind are both by Lesley Pearse. Trust Me is about children offered a new life in Australia after the war. It is a novel based on what really happened.
The other book is Remember Me and is about convicts sent to Botany Bay. If I remember correctly it is about Mary who was penniless and committed a minor theft. It is many years since I read it but it has stuck in my mind and I think I will read it again.
At the moment I am reading The Humans by Matt Haig and it is unusual. I am new to this author but will probably look at his other books.

Finch Tue 07-Mar-17 10:14:26

I enjoy family sagas especially those set during the world wars or in modern times.

cookiemonster66 Tue 07-Mar-17 10:23:32

Crime fiction fascinates me anything psychological that gets the brain cells ticking

dragonfly63 Tue 07-Mar-17 10:35:24

I love historical fiction, a well written biography, murder mysteries and psychological thrillers. Having said that, I will read most (well written) books and enjoy them. My first memory of a book that knocked my socks off was The Hobbit when I was about ten. I still love it and read it regularly fifty years later and look forward to introducing my granddaughter to it in years to come.

mbody Tue 07-Mar-17 10:44:57

I like most books that are well written with a good story but am finding these hard to find these days. Am I getting old!!! I do miss Maeve Binchey though, she could tell a story.

GrannyGlyn Tue 07-Mar-17 12:13:10

I used to read a lot of sci fi but seem to be choosing romantic fiction set in Italy or Greece at the moment. I think I need a holiday!

philatel Tue 07-Mar-17 13:56:44

My favourite genre is non fiction especially biography, autobiography, travel, etc. BUT I love to read anything and everything.

kacky Tue 07-Mar-17 18:34:42

I love romantic fiction or family reunions

Quincejam Tue 07-Mar-17 20:30:06

I will read a wide variety of different books, apart from horror, sci-fi and fantasy
I love being recommended a book and then finding a treasure. I find it hard to not finish a book that I don't like, and I think that is because at school you had to finish every book you started ! I'm getting better at it at last, as there are too many books to read to waste your time reading a book you don't like!
Tulip Fever by Deborah Moggach was a book I read that I couldn't put down.

GrooveHeart Tue 07-Mar-17 22:06:38

I love all genres. I can't read two books of the same genre in a row. I have to mix them up smile

obag Wed 08-Mar-17 09:50:28

Like GrooveHeart I like to mix up my reading genre as I read all genres, the last book I read was Sunshine over wildflower cottage by Milly Johnson and am now reading Before the rains by Dinah Jefferies.

Pamaga Wed 08-Mar-17 10:15:16

There's nothing like a good crime novel or thriller! I am into Scandi Noir and authors like Camilla Lackberg and Jo Nesbo. Of our British authors I am a big fan of Ann Cleeves especially her Vera series and the husband-wife partnership known as Nicci French. I do try to read other genres occasionally just to avoid getting in a total rut. I loved Emma Donahue's Room, Markus Zusak's The Book Thief and Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner.

HHBBNN54 Wed 08-Mar-17 11:16:37

I mostly read fiction books, I used to be a big fan of Danielle Steel I still read her books but not so often now. At the moment I am reading James Herriot - Every Living Thing. I read most books except mills & boon.

gran1 Wed 08-Mar-17 11:44:33

cosy murder mysteries such as Hazel Holt

pattiesplum Wed 08-Mar-17 13:55:27

I like a wide variety of fiction including a good thriller or crime novel, however I do not read horror and rarely Sci-fi or fantasy.

My two favorite books are both by Khaled Hosseini The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. In contrast I am a huge fan of James Patterson.