Gransnet forums

Local

Win a hardback copy of Rachel Hore's latest book, The House on Bellevue Gardens!

(136 Posts)
GrannyPatchwork Fri 03-Mar-17 20:41:49

Rachel Hore is a Richard and Judy Book Club author whose latest book tells the story of the lives of different characters in the present and the recent past.

To win a copy of Rachel's book The House on Bellevue Gardens, tell us what kind of fiction you usually read - is it contemporary, historical, futuristic, stories about time travel? If you'd like to recommend a book to other gransnetters, that's good too!

Competition closes Friday 17th March. Winner announced here on Saturday 18th.

leilajay21 Wed 08-Mar-17 17:03:39

I love a good thriller with a food plot. I am a big fan of classics like Agatha Christie books.

Lorelei Wed 08-Mar-17 18:48:09

I read a wide range of books and that includes all sorts of fiction titles. Lately I've had a blitz on historical fiction and read a few crime books, some psychological thrillers and family sagas. The 'Call The Midwife' books were interesting to see how the books and the TV series compared. J.M. Auel's 'Earth's Children' 6-books series is an epic saga following a young woman's life at a time during the last Ice-Age when modern humans shared Europe with Neanderthals, and whilst it is easy reading it is very well researched and discusses a lot of interesting concepts that are thought-provoking - recommended reading from a great storyteller.

jeapurs54 Wed 08-Mar-17 19:12:39

I just love reading, but Crime Novels by James Patterson, Agatha Raisin books, psycological thrillers, light hearted reads from Lisa Jewell, Katie Fforde or Freya North, I also like Virgina Andrews and Cecelia Ahern books and also enjoy amusing poetry by Shel Silverstein or Roald Dahl or Spike Milligan. I enjoy reading quite a lot and am always open to reading different authors if the story seems to be good - most recent is C L Taylor which is psychological thriller and The Ice Twins were excellent but can't remember author. Sorry for all the rambling but as a book lover I enjoy lots of books.

tolly16 Wed 08-Mar-17 19:55:51

Fiction anything by Victoria Hislop or Santa Montefiore. Loved The Island

jammy388 Wed 08-Mar-17 20:23:20

I read all sorts. At the moment I'm working through some boxes of books I got through Freegle and have been reading some pre 1940 fiction by writers like Michael Arlen and Clemence Dane.

earnshaw Wed 08-Mar-17 21:38:18

reading is my main hobby, just love it,

Cailin7 Wed 08-Mar-17 22:10:14

I read lots of different kinds of books mainly crime fiction, thrillers, historical.

nancytownsend Thu 09-Mar-17 01:24:49

Like others have said, I find it hard to pin it down to one genre. Lately I seem to have been reading mainly crime/thrillers or comic fantasy.

SheenaBatey Thu 09-Mar-17 11:12:16

I will read absolutely everything and have done since I was a child.Books open whole new worlds for me.

sallyc06 Thu 09-Mar-17 11:30:39

I love Nora Roberts, she has quite an array of all different books, you never now what to expect, they are full of mystery and intrique.

Shinyredcar Thu 09-Mar-17 11:40:34

I read a lot of non-fiction, mostly scientific, but apart from Terry Pratchett (who never made anything up) my fiction reading is not Sci fi or fantasy.

I will read most things other than romance. Just read and loved The Book Thief. I do like crime thrillers, John Grisham and Lee Child, and historical mysteries. Whatever there is on the Mobile Library when it visits, really!

blubber Thu 09-Mar-17 12:09:40

I read anything and everything (almost). I will read the cereal packet if there is nothing else so I suppose one could say I am almost addicted to the printed word.

DanniRae Thu 09-Mar-17 14:24:11

I love family sagas set in World War II or Autobiographies of people who lived through World War II - especially in the Channel Islands which were occupied.

hannafore Thu 09-Mar-17 15:54:37

I enjoy historical fiction and mysteries.At the moment i'm reading all of the Poldark novels which are so good

marpau Thu 09-Mar-17 16:00:48

i love crime fiction or a who done it thriller

Teddy8 Thu 09-Mar-17 16:36:22

I love thrillers but also anything by Dinah Jefferies.

Teddy8 Thu 09-Mar-17 16:37:00

I love thrillers most of the time but also anything by Dinah Jefferies.

Isis1981uk Thu 09-Mar-17 19:31:46

I usually read historical fiction, literary fiction, & psychological thrillers! I'd recommend The Husband's Secret by Lianne Moriarty!

Desdemona Thu 09-Mar-17 20:58:28

Crime Thrillers definitely, Ruth Rendell and writers with a similar style.

sweir1 Thu 09-Mar-17 22:19:56

I love a good thriller

Harris27 Fri 10-Mar-17 11:08:32

I like country novels picturesque village types I like to be taken away from normal life and imagine myself in a village like mid sommer but without the murders! I loved the miss read books and have returned to them many a time also Rebecca shaw village novels Wasserstein sad to hear she had passed away last
Year ,

jenupt Fri 10-Mar-17 15:06:44

I like a good family saga or a British detective.

alialiath Fri 10-Mar-17 20:55:24

I will read just about anything, but I'm especially fond of Scandi and Euro crime thrillers, crime fiction, historical fiction, espionage. But I'm not that keen on romance annd chic lit

Venus Sat 11-Mar-17 09:31:04

I enjoy reading autobiographies and biographies. At present,inspired by the recent serial about the footballer Bobby Moore, I'm reading Bobby Moore By The Person Who Knew Him Best, written by Tina Moore. . . much more interesting then the T.V. contribution.

adrisco Sat 11-Mar-17 10:24:46

I love thrillers .. especially psychological thrillers! .. but I also read Anne Tyler's books and am re-reading all Maeve Binchy's .. wonderful for relaxing.