Gransnet forums

Local

LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 28-Mar-17 16:59:07

Why are we invisible?

Loneliness is an issue that affects us all, but it’s particularly widespread among the older generation. Wendy Smallman, founder of Chandlers Ford Connect (a blog that seeks to combat loneliness on a local level), argues that no one who wants company should be without it and that we ourselves, wherever possible, need to take the necessary steps to create change.

Wendy Smallman

Why are we invisible?

Posted on: Tue 28-Mar-17 16:59:07

(1 comment )

Lead photo

Loneliness – what can we do about it?

I was born in 1940 and grew up living with my gran, mum and dad, and uncle and aunt. I don't ever remember being alone. The neighbours always seemed to be popping in and out. We played in the street. Piano lessons were just down the road.

With the passage of time, the rhythm of life changed. People moved away, newcomers arrived and large fences appeared along with a feeling of isolation. Today the fences, if anything, seem more intimidating, keeping people in and others out.

In the last decade I have noticed a shifting of attitudes towards those who are older. It sometimes seems as though we are invisible. I remember moving aside on the pavement to allow my elders to pass, but this rarely happens now. Why are we invisible? I'm still tall, although I have shrunk a bit. Is it a lack of respect? Are young people more self-absorbed, focusing solely on technology? Is there is no room for other people in the equation?

In the last decade I have noticed a shifting of attitudes towards those who are older. It sometimes seems as though we are invisible. I remember moving aside on the pavement to allow my elders to pass, but this rarely happens now.

Loneliness doesn’t necessarily come with age, but when we talk about it we do tend to think of the elderly. To a certain extent, there is a correlation between loneliness and age in that getting out and about is harder and there is always that inner voice that says, “I can't be bothered to go. I'll go next time”.

When the day finally comes when the car must go, that will seem like the final straw. We rely heavily on friends if they are still mobile (and local organisations that are able to lend a hand), but our independence will undoubtedly waver. As long as I'm mobile I can take some responsibility to get out, but I don't yet care to think of the time when I can't drive.

Of course, you have to make an effort in the first instance to create change. Connect with other people, talk and listen. For those of us who are lonely, these can be daunting steps indeed. But for those out there who are not, you can really help make a difference.

Wendy was born in Southampton and has since moved to Chandlers Ford with Lou, her Red Setter, to be closer to her daughter. She started her blog, Chandlers Ford Connect, last year to help those who may be feeling lonely find friendship and support locally. As she’s discovered, a friendly voice online or at the end of the phone is priceless.

By Wendy Smallman

Twitter: @GransnetLocal

AdeleJay Wed 05-Apr-17 09:43:53

If I actually knew how to start a thread Wendy, I was going to write one entitled 'what to do with the rest of my life'. I am a fit & healthy 68 (at least at present)

I thought I would grow old disgracefully with my wonderful husband whom I married in 2007. I had been married twice previously and thought '3rd time lucky' as we were so very well suited. I retired a bit early (from a much loved career) in 2008 and was glad in retrospect that I did so as he died in 2013. In the course of helping to look after and nurse him (he had his palliative care at home) I became more and more cut off from friends.

Last year I moved back to the city I lived in before marrying my late husband. I am now closer to my sons and past colleagues. I am however reluctant to join in with others having been more or less a recluse for 3 years. I know this is my own fault and a good friend tells me I must attend clubs or join groups. I'm just not ready to. I don't like large groups and hate cliques.

I know that many people are lonely and I confess to being so at times in spite of my family and grandchildren. I feel I can't crowd them too much nor rely entirely on them for my happiness. I can't seem to make any future decisions, having downsized and moved last September.

Strangely enough I had to put my Red Setter Liam to sleep this time last year. I still miss him terribly but can't even figure out whether to get another dog, pathetic really.

A book which might interest you is 'The Invisible Woman' by Helen Walmsley -Johnson. I hope you enjoy reading it.

I admire you starting your group. Well done and very good luck.