Gransnet forums

Local

Their Finest

(5 Posts)
Pittcity Tue 11-Apr-17 16:53:13

Several Essex Gransnetters were lucky enough to get free tickets to preview "Their Finest" last night.

DH and I thoroughly enjoyed the film and we laughed and cried along with everyone else in the cinema.

Bill Nighy was hilarious as usual and the cast of big names, including Richard E Grant, Jeremy Irons and Eddie Marsan were fabulous as larger than life characters.

I would recommend the film to those who would enjoy seeing WW2 from another angle. It was at times heartwarming and at times harrowing. Take a hanky for the tears.

What did others think?

Sue56 Tue 11-Apr-17 18:01:18

Went to see Their Finest last night courtesy of Gransnet and what a fabulous film. It had comedy by the bucket load, mainly supplied Bill Nighy as the ageing film star. It was lovely to watch a film without oodles of swearing although there was some. There was one scene with nudity but again it wasn't too much. This is the type of film you can take your kids, parents and elderly aunt knowing that they wont be offended and will walk out knowing that they had a enjoyable viewing. The laughs were often, slipping in and out with ease. The cast was fantastic and, of course, who can resist a film that has dogs in!

millymouge Tue 11-Apr-17 19:56:28

I did enjoy Their Finest. It was quite a light story but I think some of it would have been quite true at the time. The sets of war torn London seemed very realistic, but Tom's sudden demise was very shattering. Thought we were in for a happy ending! I must say that Bill Nighy played a really marvellous aging actor, loved the way he worked himself from a bit part to the hero Uncle Frank. I do just wonder if the film will appeal more to the older cinema goer, the younger generation may want a story with a little more depth.

Granpammy Wed 12-Apr-17 14:47:22

My husband and I both enjoyed this film on Monday. Some really good actors and it was entertaining. There were bittersweet moments but I wouldn't call it a tear jerker, at least it didn't have that effect on me. I'd say it was easy watching and not too challenging. Excellent comic moments supplied by Bill Nighy.

Dodo123 Sun 16-Apr-17 16:49:47

My husband and I throughly enjoyed the movie.
The movie had very good actors. Including Bill Nighly and Jeremy Irons.
It made us both laugh with its humorous lines. It was really entertaining and it didn't drag on. Great plot. We give it 10/10.