Gransnet forums

Local

New gran

(3 Posts)
Karen57 Fri 30-Jun-17 21:05:23

Hi
I became a nan 9 months ago. I cannot believe how I feel about this small child. I was unfortunate enough to suffer with post natal depression when I had my daughter 30 years ago. Sadly this was not addressed by anybody at the time so I suffered for 10 months not really being that interested in my baby. Luckily it did lift and things improved. With my grand daughter it has been instant love and I just adore her. I see her regularly and just spoil her I can't help it. I do sometimes wonder if maybe I'm trying to make up for what happened with my own daughter all those years ago although maybe I would have still been the same. For me it has been the best thing that has come into my life. Whoops I sound a bit soppy not intentional.

PoshGran Sat 01-Jul-17 10:11:11

Don't worry one bit about sounding soppy on GN, Karen, & particularly if talking about granchildren! Belated congratulations on the birth of your granddaughter flowers.
It's lovely that you can see her regularly, that you can express your feelings for her & can "spoil her". You don't say exactly what you mean by that, but with a 9 month old I suspect it means a lot of cuddles, & there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
I wonder if you have mentioned all your feelings to your daughter? Certainly going forward, she will be the one to guide you if she thinks that you are "spoiling" your GD, either by being over-indulgent or not sticking with routines or behavior expectations. Opening such free conversation with your DD while your GD is a babe will be of immeasurable benefit for all in the future.

As an aside, I wonder if you are new to GN? (If so, welcome!) Possibly by starting a thread on the Local Site you may have inadvertantly reduced the number of replies to your post. I'm sure that other GNetters will have shared your experience & if you were to post on Ask a Gran, for instance, you might get more response.

Me? I'm a south of the Nene Gran who's felt she's been the only Gran in P'boro!
Good luck.
smile

NannyOmo Mon 17-Jul-17 18:41:43

Hi, I'm new to Peterborough, nannysitting my 10 month old grandson. I know exactly how you feel about the flood of love you feel for your GD you do wonder where all the love comes from!
Posh Gran is right having a conversation with your DD will make a world of difference to you but I'm sure you are not overspoiling your GD they need a lot of love at this age.
All good wishes to you and yours
?