Gransnet forums

Local

Dignity magazine

(24 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 08-Feb-19 14:27:53

We've recently partnered with Dignity Magazine and thought gransnetters might be interested in what they have to offer. It's a bi-monthly, current affairs title set up to help tackle the economic, health and social inequalities affecting the lives of senior residents of London, many of whom now find themselves disempowered when in the past they were proud, active and productive citizens.

There are huge issues with pensioner poverty, loneliness and social isolation, and declining physical and emotional health. There are also big problems with marginalisation. Some of their readers have told them that because of ageist attitudes, they have felt unable to participate in or contribute to society in any meaningful way once they hit state pension age.

Dignity Magazine aims to challenge this state of affairs by empowering their readers, whatever their age, to take charge of their lives and thrive. They provide informative and engaging news stories, step-by-step articles and in-depth features covering a range of subjects, such as money and and pensions, employment and retirement, and health and social care. If anyone would like to subscribe to the magazine or find out more you can visit www.dignitymagazine.co.uk. Although some of the listings are specific to north London, most of the magazine's features will be relevant to anyone over 65.

boheminan Fri 08-Feb-19 15:24:07

Thanks for drawing attention to this mag.

I'd given up on finding a magazine that would interest me, and from the subjects shown on Digity, that's about to change. I'll give it a go and get a copy, then subscribe if it comes up to expectations.

It'll be good to get back to putting my feet up with a cuppa coffee, gingernut and good newsy magazine I can relate to smile

janeainsworth Thu 28-Feb-19 10:42:22

Bit of ‘product placement’ going on there, Lara grin
Shameless! grin

aggie Thu 28-Feb-19 10:59:26

I missread the name !blush and thought it was a route to Switzerland !!!!

janeainsworth Thu 28-Feb-19 11:17:03

Me too aggiegrin

midgey Thu 28-Feb-19 11:36:02

Shocking choice of name! grin

Teetime Thu 28-Feb-19 13:51:17

I opened this thread thinking it was Dignitas!

Cherrytree59 Thu 28-Feb-19 15:16:21

? Agree Terrible name!

It also appears to to be Shouting Dignity on on 'our' behalf which (imho) is quite undignified.

There may be a need for a magazine that reflects age, interests" lifestyle etc,
But it does need to look like Protest Magazine or an informative brochure to be found in advice centres.

NanKate Thu 28-Feb-19 15:16:57

Me too ?

Cherrytree59 Thu 28-Feb-19 15:31:32

Does NOT need to look like......

M0nica Thu 28-Feb-19 15:55:52

I confess that I am not comfortable with niche magazines like this. Especially when part of the blurb includes phrases like:

Some of their readers have told them that because of ageist attitudes, they have felt unable to participate in or contribute to society in any meaningful way once they hit state pension age. Dignity Magazine aims to challenge this state of affairs by empowering their readers, whatever their age, to take charge of their lives and thrive.

The only way to deal with ageist attitudes is to go out and challenge them and be part of a bigger wider world. Not hunker down behind the barricades and cower. I am afraid this magazine sounds like a barricade.

Cherrytree59 Thu 28-Feb-19 16:19:37

Agree M0nica I don't need when I reach 65 for a magazine to protest on my behalf.

Especially now retirement is a moveable feast.☺

aggie Thu 28-Feb-19 18:33:56

Think they might have shot themselves in the foot with this daft name and saturated publicity stuff on here

janeainsworth Thu 28-Feb-19 18:57:51

Test

aggie Thu 28-Feb-19 21:02:14

test post

Cherrytree59 Fri 01-Mar-19 00:06:53

Test posts
Is there a problem?

sodapop Fri 01-Mar-19 08:09:37

I agree with MOnica & Cherrytree and its a terrible name.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 01-Mar-19 18:15:54

Hello, we know that some of you are having issues posting on this thread. Sorry about that. The tech team are trying to sort it out.
The founder of Dignity wanted to post on the thread but is also having trouble so asked if we would post this on her behalf in response to some of the comments above :

"Hello there. My name is Arlene Martin and I'm the founder of Dignity Magazine. To midgey, Cherrytree59 and NanKate, I'm sorry to hear that you don't like the name of publication. I'm assuming that's because of Dignitas, which is understandable.

Dignity Magazine was named by a friend of mine, and I love title simply because I love word 'dignity'. From my perspective, it is a reminder that everyone is equal and entitled to be treated with decency, honour and respect, regardless of their circumstances. It is the inalienable birthright of every human being. I hope this helps. Perhaps it is time for us all to re-claim the word.

Kind regards,

Arlene Martin
Dignity Magazine"

janeainsworth Fri 01-Mar-19 19:54:28

I’m sorry to disagree.
Whereas I think everyone deserves to be treated with respect, behaving with dignity is a choice we make. It’s not bestowed on us.
Not every older person behaves with dignity.

aggie Fri 01-Mar-19 20:04:09

I agree with janainsworth

kittylester Fri 01-Mar-19 22:07:16

And I agree too.

And, I don't need a magazine to protest for me.

I am treated with respect by almost everyone I meet. And, if I'm not, I don't think about it a lot, I just get on with what I am doing and ignore it.

NanKate Sat 02-Mar-19 06:51:51

Kitty ?

The moment I hear the word dignity I think of death. I really do think the name of the magazine will put a lot of people off.

M0nica Sun 03-Mar-19 19:06:22

I am sorry the name is just far too close to Dignitas i fI saw a magazine on the book stalls called dignity I would expect it to be trade magazine for undertakers or a magazine devoted to preparing for death, funeral plans etc.

The first rule of marketing a magazine like this is to make sure the name has the right connotations for your target audience. The last thing to consider is whether you, as the promoter like the name. That is completely irrelevant.

Cherrytree59 Sun 03-Mar-19 21:07:58

I have just read the link in OP.
I was mistakenly under the impression that this was a New Magazine launch.
However it states in the link that Dignity Magazine was first published in 2014
and is a bi-monthly publication.

So I can only conclude that it has been brought to our attention because Gransnet in their words has 'partnered with Dignity Magazine

Perhaps GNHQ could/should have canvassed GNers opinion before partnering up.wink