Gransnet forums

Are (were) you a young grandparent? Woman's Hour

(11 Posts)
MEDIA: CariGransnet Wed 22-Nov-17 14:11:26

On behalf of Woman's Hour...

Are you a young grandmother? Did you become a grandmother in your 30’s or 40’s? What difference has it made? BBC Radio 4’s Woman’s Hour would love to hear your experiences. Contact [email protected]

Riverwalk Wed 22-Nov-17 15:01:40

According to the Evening Standard, Angela Rayner became a grandmother today at 37 - congratulations!

tanith Wed 22-Nov-17 15:09:19

I was 39 it's meant I'm around to see my Grt Grandchildren arriving aren't I the lucky one.😁

silverlining48 Wed 22-Nov-17 15:39:38

Yes, You are lucky tanith. My dd had her first child when she was early/mid 30’s . I was early 60’s. My gd is now 7. Its doubtful i get to dance at her wedding, if she has one, and even less likely to see her with a child of her own and do feel a bit sad that i wont see her grow to full maturity.
When she was born the man who was fitting our kitchen became a great grandfather, and he was 5 years younger than i was as a first time gran.
However friends of ours have just become grandparents for the first time at 79and 76 respectively. Making me feel like a spring. chicken. All is relative.
My two little grandchildren bring great joy and i am very grateful.

gillybob Wed 22-Nov-17 15:50:55

I became a grandma for the first time at 44. My eldest DGD is now 11.

I had my son at only 18 and made my late mum a grandma at only 38 which was a terrible shock for her.

morethan2 Wed 22-Nov-17 16:29:39

I was was 42 (I can still remember the shock) I had lots of energy. Then there was a gap and the next lot arrived when I was 47. We all had great fun. They remember us all having lots of adventures. The next 3 arrived between 56-59. Now I don’t know if it was because they were three born very close together or because I was older but I find I simply don’t have the energy or strength to do as much with the last three as I did with the others. If we take them out for the day or away I have to make sure it’s on a day that my husband can come too. My sister always said that I was lucky to have been a nanna so young. At the time I didn’t see it but as I’ve got older I think I might agree with her. She worries that if her children do have children she’ll be too old to do the things I did with my first lot.

ginny Wed 22-Nov-17 16:36:13

I was 48 when DGS1 was born so reasonably young. 62 when DGS2 arrived. Luckily don’t feel any older now than them but boy do I know when he has been here for a few hours !
I have quite a few friends who are two or three years older than me that. Are still waiting and hoping.

blossom14 Wed 22-Nov-17 17:54:51

I became a Grandmother at 38 but still had younger daughter of 7 at home. So not so hands on with my elder grandchildren as with the children of my younger daughter: they came along when I was in my Sixties.
Now I have two great grandchildren. I only see them 2 or 3 times a year as they live about 100 miles away.

Willow500 Wed 22-Nov-17 18:19:06

I was 43 when my eldest granddaughter was born and 61 when the youngest grandson arrived 2 years ago so a big gap between my two son's productions grin

Teetime Wed 22-Nov-17 18:36:01

I must have been 32 but didn't know about it (long story). I shall be a great grandmother next May at age 65 - woop dee doo!!

silverlining48 Wed 22-Nov-17 18:50:14

Think you will win this teetime🙃🙂 32!!! Gosh.What a shock ! Bet woman’s hour would like to talk to you.