Gransnet forums

SEEKING ADVENTUROUS MINDED AGE 70+ TO TRIAL RUN LIVING WITH A YOUNG PERSON FOR COMPANY AND ODD JOBS FOR TV PILOT ( NON BROADCAST)

(15 Posts)
MEDIA: Jane Mon 22-Jan-18 11:16:21

ARE YOU 70 OR OVER AND LIVING ALONE?

We are a television company and we are making a non-broadcast pilot exploring the idea of the older generation (70+) renting out their spare rooms to young adults making their first move away from home.

If you have ever wondered what it would be like to rent out your spare room and would like to take part in a short trial, please get in touch ASAP - we may be able to help!

To find out more please email your name and phone number to [email protected] or call Jane on 0208 222 4518.

Applicants must be resident in the United Kingdom. By submitting the information requested, you are consenting to Sharp Jack Media using such information for the purposes of selecting participants for the pilot and to your information being shared with our insurers and any independent contractors involved in the pilot. We consider all interested applicants carefully but we cannot guarantee that we will contact and/or select everyone who gets in touch.

OldMeg Mon 22-Jan-18 15:35:22

Come on GNetters! Does this appeal to any of you 🤣

Auntieflo Tue 23-Jan-18 12:10:50

No, sorry, not for us.

NanaandGrampy Tue 23-Jan-18 12:17:12

Surely you know using all capitals online is tantamount to shouting? We're old- not deaf :-)

Charleygirl Tue 23-Jan-18 12:22:03

I have eyesight problems but even I can read that from a distance.

janeainsworth Tue 23-Jan-18 16:06:21

I don’t know why this company imagines it’s running a pilot.
The idea of older people sharing their homes with young people has been around for decades.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeshare

Elegran Tue 23-Jan-18 16:23:17

Pilot for TV programme rather than pilot for the scheme? Perhaps they feel that if something has not been videod it hasn't really been tried out.

janeainsworth Tue 23-Jan-18 18:53:20

Well the ‘non-broadcast’ pilot puzzled me Elegran.
And why they would want to recruit new older people when there are already several charities facilitating these arrangements.

Elegran Tue 23-Jan-18 19:05:43

Perhaps they want to show that they are casting the net wide to recruit varied talent?

grannyactivist Tue 23-Jan-18 19:38:52

I smiled at the description of 'adventurous minded 70+' as I've been taking in young people for donkey's years. Who knew I was 'adventurous' to do so? Or will I only be adventurous if I'm still doing it in my 70's? grin

M0nica Tue 23-Jan-18 23:26:18

Not all of us live alone. I think my local Age UK runs such a scheme and I have heard it discussed on the radio and I have read/watched online news items about similar schemes, complete with interviews, so there is nothing particularly adventurous about the concept. Perhaps just new to the production company.

OldMeg Wed 24-Jan-18 08:21:21

A much more sensible arrangement would be an old person proving board and lodging in return for personal care.

Carers in residential homes are paid peanuts. Set against this are old folks living in their own home who need carers. Given the right match and terms and conditions, it would surely benefit both.

Teetime Wed 24-Jan-18 08:58:55

Literature is littered with examples of older people taking in a younger person as a companion aka general dogsbody e.g. Rebecca, French Lieutenants Woman.

bikergran Wed 24-Jan-18 09:14:15

I have no idea who these people are!! but do they really think! that we are going to divulge that we are over 70 and living alone!!! hmmm...!!

annsixty Wed 24-Jan-18 09:36:20

Very good point Bikergran