Gransnet forums

Your memories of the 1940s - 1970s

(10 Posts)
MEDIA: Robhuk Mon 17-Sep-18 09:54:51

Your stories wanted!

Do you remember any or all the decades of the 1940s to the 1970s? Of course you do!

I am compiling another collection of people’s personal memories, this time from the decades after WW2, for publication in 2019.

Would you like to share your stories and photos with the rest of us? Memories may be related to childhood, teens or later years - funny, sad, memorable or ridiculous. Anything that stimulates the reader to think 'Did they really do that?' 'I remember that,' 'Well, I didn't realise that,' or 'I'm glad that I lived/didn't live then' and more ...

More details at www.20thcenturymemories.com

Please email to: [email protected]
or write to: Rob Horlock, 4 Barleycorn Walk, Cadnam, Hants, SO40 2LY

Thank you and I look forward to reading your stories from the 1940s – 1970s.

Rob Horlock, Cadnam, Hants

Scribbles Mon 17-Sep-18 12:48:07

Didn't this request appear last week?
As I think others said then, if there's a book to be made of my recollections, then I'll write it!

HildaW Mon 17-Sep-18 14:04:15

Not sure this isn't a bit lazy. A bit like getting your Mum to do your homework.

BBbevan Mon 17-Sep-18 20:24:29

Yes I do, thank God!

Cherrytree59 Mon 17-Sep-18 20:52:18

Only remember the 70s

Flares, Hotpants, maxi dresses and skirts
White knee length boots

Purple everywhere.

TRex, Iron maiden, abba, David Bowie, The Osmonds, David Cassidy. Blondie.
Listenimg to music on HiFi or Cassette player
Top of the Pops.
Radio One.

List goes on
I'm sure plenty info on Google.wink

dunstabl Tue 08-Jan-19 13:38:05

Having joined the RN in 1964 as a boy sailor £2 a week wages and having been a naughty boy, i was sentenced to 28 days DQ's (detention Quarters) which were located in Portsmouth. I was confined to a cell. Wooden bed. No sitting on it during the day when locked up. Whole cell scrubbed out daily by hand together with loo and showers. Running an assault course each morning and afternoon with a 303 rifle on my shoulder. Pooing in a bucket which had to be hand polished daily. One cigarette a day if you smoked as many did, having been allowed 600 duty free cigarettes a month. (Too young to claim my daily tot of rum) Porridge for breakfast, potato stew for lunch and again in the evening as i recall. Unlike prison cells today, no telephone, no reading material. No access to phones or TV, no free UNI courses etc. Left that place as fit as ever was before or since and never went back.

Jalima1108 Tue 08-Jan-19 14:13:38

The 1960s - if you remember them you didn't live them

Chewbacca Tue 08-Jan-19 14:37:24

Correct Jalima! wink

Lisagran Tue 08-Jan-19 15:03:41

A bit like getting your Mum to do your homework - (or your Gran!) - love it!

kittylester Tue 08-Jan-19 15:11:00

Have you run this past GNHQ? I'll check.