Gransnet forums

empty nest grandmothers

(20 Posts)
MEDIA: angela neustatter Tue 20-Nov-18 11:02:36

I am wanting to interview grandmothers who are experiencing the empty nest after grandchildren have grown up and away - there have been some interesting posts recently - for a Daily Mail article. I am a grandmother myself so with a special interest and I would be so grateful if any grandparents empty nesting would talk with me.

Teetime Tue 20-Nov-18 11:41:04

I will.

tanith Tue 20-Nov-18 12:52:57

I don’t think my nest will ever be empty as my oldest Grandchildren are already refilling it with Great grandchildren 😂 sorry bit off topic 🤭

sodapop Tue 20-Nov-18 12:55:21

Can't imagine feeling like that - sorry I'm out.

M0nica Tue 20-Nov-18 20:00:35

It would be interesting to hear from parents/grandparents who didn't suffer from empty nest syndrome. It seems to be all the fashion.

From birth I gave a little cheer every time DC did something that showed their independence like reaching for their own toys. First day at school had me skipping down the path to have time to myself and so on. I missed their presence when they left home, but just loved having all my time back.

It is not that I do not love my DC but I always had a life of my own, and my happiness at them flying the nest hasn't diminished our closeness, in fact I think it has kept us close. Come Christmas DS and family will be staying for a week, DD for 10 days.

sodapop Tue 20-Nov-18 21:35:46

I didn't either MOnica I enjoy my independence just as they do.

notnecessarilywiser Wed 21-Nov-18 07:29:37

Full credit to OP for making a formal request for views through the official GN channels. Far too many of her colleagues lazily rely on lifting large chunks of content here and on MN! Could it be to do with the fact that she's literally "old school"?

(I have no experience of grandmotherly empty nest yet, so sadly can't oblige with my views.)

Apricity Wed 21-Nov-18 07:32:54

If parenthood is a process of planned obsolescence then grandparenting is even more so or do some people think they will live forever? In essence I wonder if this is a form of denial of our own inevitable mortality? There is, I think, a big difference between missing grandchildren as they fly from the various family nests and a grandparent who is significantly affected by the departure of grandchildren into the world. Lots of food for thought there.

BlueBelle Wed 21-Nov-18 07:38:56

Look it’s not rocket science your grand kids grow up ! celebrations not because you don’t want to see them but because you are happy and overjoyed that they have interesting lives of their own and are branching out on their next adventures
Any grandmother who has empty nest syndrome ( unless they are full time careers for their grandkids) are over involved in their lives
I love all seven grandkids I would give a kidney or right arm to any of them but each step away from me is a huge success in my opinion so sorry Media I don’t fit your criteria good luck with whatever it is your are doing (unless it’s in connection with DM)

henetha Wed 21-Nov-18 10:29:43

I adore my grandchildren and would not have missed the time I spent with them for the world, but I am also now quite pleased to have my freedom back. I still see them, but am no longer needed on any sort of regular basis, so .... yippee!
So I'm not suitable for your research.

user7694 Wed 21-Nov-18 12:03:28

I am really grateful for all your thoughts, and good cheer, but as I have seen quite a number of Gransnet posts (no I don't believe journalism is just lifting big chunks from posts, but doing proper interviews) where empty nest is a real issue and I would like to write about it.

TEETIME I would love to chat with you if you are willing and for you and anyone else willing I can be contacted at [email protected] Very many thanks

janeainsworth Wed 21-Nov-18 13:27:17

I like your honest approach OP, but I have never had a grandmother’s nest from which my GDC could fly.
Two of my GDC live 250 miles away and the others 3000 miles away.
I harbour a naughty hope that one day some of them will leave home and come and live near me instead but of course, never voice that thought to their parents grin

janeainsworth Wed 21-Nov-18 13:29:02

GDC?? DGC!

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Nov-18 14:29:38

I've never thought of 'empty nesting' applying to grandparents, only to parents, as the DGC don't exactly fly from our nests unless they've been living with us, of course.

I did give up a couple of hobbies to care for DGC and now that they are at school I could pursue them again. However, I seem to have found new hobbies - but am still available if needs be eg if they are not well or for occasional holiday cover.

user7694 Thu 22-Nov-18 17:17:17

GangstaGranyou wrote a very touching post about your grandchildren growing up and how you dread the empty nest without them. I am writing an article on this theme for the Daily Mail and wonder if you might be willing to talk with me. I can pay £25 for interviews that the Mail agrees.
I can be contacted on 07710 285296 or [email protected]

user7694 Thu 22-Nov-18 17:18:09

Anniebach

You joined the thread on empty nest grandparents, and I was interested by what you said. I am writing an article on this theme for the Daily Mail and wonder if you might be willing to talk with me. I can pay £25 for interviews that the Mail agrees.

user7694 Thu 22-Nov-18 17:18:59

henetha you wrote a very touching post about your grandchildren growing up and how empty things seem without them. I am writing an article on this theme for the Daily Mail and wonder if you might be willing to talk with me. I can pay £25 for interviews that the Mail agrees.

user7694 Thu 22-Nov-18 17:20:03

Elrel you too wrote movingly about the empty next after grandchildren. I am writing an article on this theme for the Daily Mail and wonder if you might be willing to talk with me. I can pay £25 for interviews that the Mail agrees.

janeainsworth Thu 22-Nov-18 18:01:24

Angela you might be better sending these GN members private messages - they might not necessarily see this thread.

user7694 Fri 23-Nov-18 16:42:54

Thanks for the guidance JaineAinsworth