Gransnet forums

Grandparents as babysitters

(15 Posts)
MEDIA: Pick Me Up Magazine Wed 21-Nov-18 12:02:48

Did you know that more than 50% of parents rely on grandparents to babysit so they can work?

Some stats online say 40% of grandparents feel taken advantage of. We want to know how you feel.

As a grandparent would you happily look after your grandchildren whenever, wherever? Or do you still want to have your own life and feel it's not wholly your responsibility?

Ideally we'd like to speak to two women with differing views on this topic who would be happy to have their thoughts printed in Pick Me Up Magazine.

Please reply or email [email protected] with your thoughts and feeling. Ideally you'll happily be named and possibly pictured.

sodapop Wed 21-Nov-18 12:38:05

I think the title is misleading. A large number of grandparents are much more than
'babysitters'

Cherrytree59 Wed 21-Nov-18 13:22:19

Grandparents just 'Grandparent'
Just as Parents just 'Parent '

The clue is in the namesmile

Jane10 Wed 21-Nov-18 13:26:43

I agree. 'babysitting' just doesn't cover it. I pick up the boys one day a week from 2 different place and at different times, take them to my home, do homework, provide teas and entertainment etc etc to allow DD to work out of town that day. It's not a chore but it involves lots of different aspects.
I sometimes 'babysit' but that's just being in their house while the parents go out to a party or similar.

kittylester Wed 21-Nov-18 14:14:22

U have a lovely life. Busy, busy, busy. Volunteering, school runs, having the grandchildren at the drop of a hat, meeting friends, running a house, cooking when the family visit and when they don't, entertaining friends. It's all part of the same life! And part of being a family.

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Nov-18 14:17:42

I am rather confused.

Some stats online say 40% of grandparents feel taken advantage of.
Is that 40% of the total of grandparents in the country or 40% of the possibly 50% who care for DGC?

I am confused also about the 50% - if 50% of parents rely on grandparents to care for their children what percentage of grandparents is that? It could mean anything as, normally, children have two sets of grandparents.

Sorry, the percentages you are quoting are not clear and what exactly does some stats online mean? Which statistics and from where?

M0nica Wed 21-Nov-18 15:14:06

You would think by now GN staff would be warning anyone wanting to do something like this that we are an intelligent set of people with our wits about us and can recognise badly designed research plans and questionnaires and will query the basis of any project and see it off if it doesn't meet our high standards.

I suspect groups like this do get warned but just do not believe them. Convinced that nobody old could possible understand anything well enough to be able to pick holes in their badly designed projects.

Izabella Wed 21-Nov-18 15:30:07

M0nica grin

Never hear of the magazine personally either

Izabella Wed 21-Nov-18 15:30:21

heard

kittylester Wed 21-Nov-18 15:34:11

I've heard of it but I never pick it up -?boom boom!

Day6 Wed 21-Nov-18 15:43:46

Grandparents have become childminders, much more than babysitters.

Many have their grandchildren for long periods of time and do the school runs, etc.

I had my children in the 1980s and had to pay for a childminder to have them before and after school. It seems now that free care and an imposition on their own parents is the way many modern parents operate.

My feeling is that retirement is OUR time. We don't have all the time in the world any more and if we want to live our lives we cannot agree to have our grandchildren on fixed days every week.

We made that clear to our children. Much as we adore our grandchildren, we have done our bit raising children and have no wish to be surrogate parents and tied to childcare duties every week. I know some grannies who say they don't mind, and enjoy it, but I think we are all different.

We are there for them in any emergency, night or day, we will take the children away on holiday or for weekends, , by arrangement, and babysit when our children need a bit of time to themselves.

Our grandchildren went to paid nursery places and had a whale of a time, playing with other children and learning new skills as well as social skills. We picked them up sometimes, or dropped them off, if their parents couldn't.

They had us as fall back - and that suited us all.

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Nov-18 15:58:11

I am rather confused

I could be confused because I am elderly old M0nica
Or perhaps I just need a pick-me-up

M0nica Wed 21-Nov-18 16:19:32

No pick-me-up like wine, providing it is Sanatogen grin

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Nov-18 16:27:21

Fortifies the over 40s!
Or was that Phyllosan?

I should buy some for some of my DC

BlueBelle Wed 21-Nov-18 16:28:47

I m a bit fed up with these media questions personally and well aware that things can get twisted around to fit their own criteria
So I m not interested in being one of your two people
I do a lot for my grandkids willingly voluntarily and also lead a good diverse life of my own