Gransnet forums

Media/research requests

The secret to a long and happy life

(20 Posts)
annep1 Mon 20-May-19 08:15:04

Quite true, Humbertbear.
Genes play a major part. I wonder though does attitude play a part too. My husband is very relaxed, worries about nothing, eats and drinks what he likes and is rarely ill. I on the other hand am an anxious person and watch what I eat and have lots of ailments.
I think too it is a bit of a lottery.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-May-19 08:06:07

Yes mum is coming up to 101. Glass of sherry or wine or both every day. That’s the answer😄😄

Whitewavemark2 Mon 20-May-19 08:04:38

And me anno blimmin’ sore shoulder for about 6 weeks now ☹️

Humbertbear Mon 20-May-19 07:53:23

I think longevity is down to genes. Both my grandmothers lived into their nineties and my mother, who always ate what she liked and drank alcohol and would live on cake if she could, is 98 and still has all her marbles. Surely the ‘happy’ part of the question is a different issue?

lmm6 Sun 19-May-19 22:56:29

It's genes. My mother is 94. Her diet consists of biscuits, chocolate, puddings, white bread, cream, brandy..... virtually everything considered no good for us. Almost no vegetables or fruit. She has all her own teeth, very little memory loss and doesn't wear glasses except for reading. Unfortunately for me I'm more like my dad!

Callistemon Fri 05-Apr-19 17:54:42

oh yes, that too annodomini

Concentrate! is a good motto

annodomini Fri 05-Apr-19 10:01:38

From my recent experience, my message would be to watch where you put your feet to avoid tripping. hmm

EllanVannin Fri 05-Apr-19 09:43:51

Teach your brain to shut off--------it can be done.

lemongrove Fri 05-Apr-19 09:14:06

And not running in front of buses.

lemongrove Fri 05-Apr-19 09:13:46

All down to genes.

Callistemon Thu 04-Apr-19 23:50:41

If I was approaching 102 I might just consider it - otherwise it could be tempting fate.

BradfordLass72 Thu 04-Apr-19 21:58:28

It's an interesting paper, thanks for posting, that's my field of research too.

But like much research about health and longevity, is based, of necessity, on guesses and risk factors not solid fact.

My very active father, who ate a good, fresh foods diet, died of a heart attack at 54, which means his history is a risk factor in my own health.

I am a big woman of 72 summers but a recent check up, including a heart scan shows it's in perfect condition, as are all my other organs.
So am I at risk or not?

'Suboptimal diet' - the focus of the study, means "less than the highest standard" and as this paper deals with 195 different countries, including those with very different life-styles to the UK, they give an average over all.

Not a reliable statistic on which to base individual choices.

They say:

"^Dietary data were from mixed sources and were not available for all countries, increasing the statistical uncertainty of our estimates^."

Note those words "estimates" and "uncertainty".

So we can probably take it with a large pinch of the sodium which it says killed 11 million people worldwide between 1990 and 2017 . smile

M0nica Thu 04-Apr-19 08:52:49

Ah, well, now we know:

The diets cutting one in five lives short every year www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-47734296

grannyticktock Thu 04-Apr-19 08:24:53

Also, many people live to be old but are far from happy. Often this is because of poor health or other problems, but some people are just miserable and negative by nature and grumble their way through their old age. Being happy and being old are two separate strands of the question.

It does make me smile (somewhat ruefully now that I am widowed) when couples who have been married for 75 years are asked what the secret is of their long marriage. Once you're past the restlessness of middle age, it's largely a matter of both staying alive, isn't it?

BradfordLass72 Thu 04-Apr-19 07:55:38

Apricity I absolutely agree with that.

But making the actual fabric of your life happy does not necessarily come down to good health, wealth or good fortune.

Many people in poor health have happy lives. Longevity is a different matter - that's in the genes I believe.

Happiness comes from being content with what you have, grateful for it but not necessarily settling.

Strive to improve, learn and work with others. Don't allow life to revolve around YOU all the time; you are part of a community and if possible, seek to improve it in any way you can, even if its just smiling and waving at your neighbours each day.

That's my 2 pennyworth smile

merlotgran Wed 03-Apr-19 10:49:02

The secret to a long and happy life? Don't die!

crazyH Wed 03-Apr-19 10:37:50

That's right Apricity , we need ☘️

Apricity Wed 03-Apr-19 10:34:07

Can't participate in program but everything I have learnt professionally and personally tells me that you can do everything 'right' to contribute to longevity- eat well, drink in moderation, exercise, be happy and content, have great relationships, don't smoke and still not win the longevity lottery.

The three elements of a long life are a complex interplay of good genes, positive personal and environmental factors and plain old good luck. ☘️

M0nica Wed 03-Apr-19 09:48:50

Too far a way to take part. There is no secret. It is all ordinary commonsense.

MEDIA: Frankie Allan Wed 03-Apr-19 09:12:12

Hello,

BBC Radio Scotland's John Beattie radio show is looking for a contributor to take part in a discussion about the secret to a long and happy life. The discussion will take place at around 12:30 in the afternoon today. We could arrange for you to come into one of the BBC Scotland studios and we can take care of transport. Alternatively, we could do the interview via Skype or Facetime audio.

Thanks very much.

Best wishes,
Frankie