Gransnet forums

Media/research requests

Do you have a grandchild aged 2-4 years old? If so, you are invited to take part in an online study. £10 high street voucher for participating.

(27 Posts)
MEDIA: ColetteK Thu 30-May-19 15:52:27

Hello, I am a PhD student at the University of Sheffield. I am looking for grandparents of children between the age of 2 and 4 years, 11 months old to take part in an online study. The study is looking at the similarities and differences between parents and grandparent’s food provision to preschool aged children. To take part you must look after your grandchild at least one day per week and provide them with at least one meal on that day. All participants will receive a £10 Love2Shop e-voucher upon completion.

Taking part in the study involves two parts;
1. Completing an online survey
2. Completing an online 24 hour food & drink recall (for food & drinks provided to your child/grandchild)

For more information and to take part in the study please click on the link below

scharr.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6WmCIrwmQDFupDL

This study has been approved by the University of Sheffield, ScHARR research ethics committee. Ethics number 026363

ColetteK Mon 03-Jun-19 09:29:38

Any help, greatly appreciated.

Thanks Gransnetters

MiniMoon Mon 03-Jun-19 09:34:36

Sorry, can't help. My grandchildren are all older.

gillybob Mon 03-Jun-19 09:50:13

Me neither as mine are either too old at 13,11 and 9 or too young at just gone 1 . Sorry .

glammanana Mon 03-Jun-19 10:08:39

My DGD has her meals provided by her parents sorry can not be of any help.

Squiffy Mon 03-Jun-19 10:33:56

I'm just wondering what your study can show by just requesting grandparents (potentially) providing only one day's worth of food. How can that give a true picture of 'similarities and differences' regarding the provision of food?

Have I missed the point somewhere?

ColetteK Mon 03-Jun-19 12:00:15

Thank you all for taking a look anyway. Shame your grandchildren don't fall within the age range. Hopefully there will be a few Gransnetters who do look after grandchildren this age and provide meals.

Squiffy, you are completely right this is a limitation of my study. One 24 hour recall is not enough to capture a completely accurate picture of typical food provision. However no study has even attempted to capture the similarities and differences of UK parents and grandparents food provision, using validated dietary assessment methods, instead often relying on parental interviews. I hope to get a less biased picture. Moreover, I had to consider recruitment and participant burden in my design and weigh up the pro's and con's of asking my participants to complete multiple recalls.

Thanks again for taking an interest though. I hope this provides some clarification on your point somewhat.

janeainsworth Mon 03-Jun-19 12:15:47

Sorry Colette I have a grandson within your age range but he lives in America and so I’m not able to look after him on a regular basis.

By the way, pros and cons don’t have an apostrophe in them.
It could be that your tablet or phone inserted them without your noticing, and I wouldn’t normally point out grammatical errors, but if you’re writing up research for a thesis, punctuation and grammar might be important wink
Good luck with your study - it sounds very interesting, though I have found that the content of meals with grandchildren tend to be dictated not by what the grandparents think the child should eat, nor what the grandparents are able to provide, but the child’s own dictatorial tastesgrin
Last time my older grandson came to stay from the USA he brought with him his own special peanut butter. U.K. brands were not acceptablegrin

Squiffy Mon 03-Jun-19 12:28:03

Hi Colette, Thanks for your reply. I understand the difficulties that you have! I just felt that you wouldn't get a true picture of what grandparents provide on the sustenance front!

If they are only childminding for one day a week, it's very possible that they will be providing 'easy' food, rather than a three course meal, whereas, if they were on duty for a few days per week then they would create 'proper' meals.

Just a thought!

EllaKeat Mon 03-Jun-19 12:56:07

Hi Colette, just completed the first part for you 😁 My granddaughter is 3, and i have her 2 days a week, so hope to be useful for you.

ColetteK Mon 03-Jun-19 13:07:27

Thank you Jane, I think the error came from my Monday morning brain.

These are all really interesting points, Jane and Squiffy, certainly things to consider in my discussion of the research. I still have two more years of my PhD so will consider conducting interviews with grandparents to discuss these drivers of food choice further.

It fascinates me that even really young children are influenced by branding.

ColetteK Mon 03-Jun-19 13:08:51

Thank you EllaKeat. Your help is greatly appreciated. You should receive a link to the second part shortly.

DoraMarr Mon 03-Jun-19 15:30:56

Hello, I’ve just completed the survey for my two and a half year old granddaughter. I feed her the same sorts of food as her parents. She doesn’t eat sugary foods, and the only processed foods she eats are frozen vegetables occasionally, and baked beans.

Grannyknot Mon 03-Jun-19 16:07:26

Hi Collette, I could complete your survey (my grandchild is 4) but I don't look after him on a regular basis - rather, it is randomly as required or when he is here on a visit. I do regularly have him over a 24 hour period though. Do I qualify?

ColetteK Mon 03-Jun-19 17:05:05

Thanks DoraMarr, I really appreciate you giving up your time to participate.

Grannyknot, how frequently do you look after your grandchild? For instance, on average, how many times per month?

Grannyknot Mon 03-Jun-19 18:34:25

Hi Collette, 3 or 4 times a month, sometimes over a weekend.

Grannyknot Mon 03-Jun-19 18:39:26

I just read the entire thread - re Squiffy's comment above re providing "easy" food if the childminding is occasional, that wouldn't apply to me. My poor grandson smile has to eat what I feel like cooking and/or what the rest of us eat, standard homecooked fairly healthy meals. Occasionally I will make something that I know he likes.

How I feed him is also influenced by the fact that he generally loves food and is not a fussy eater. He recently finished a plate of Mary Berry's Moroccan Salad - bulgur wheat and all! grin

ColetteK Tue 04-Jun-19 08:02:20

Hi Grannyknot,

Thanks for getting back to me, yes you would be eligible to take part if you're still interested.

It's really great to hear all of these different experiences.

Grannyknot Tue 04-Jun-19 16:24:10

Thank you, I have completed the first part of the survey. Now just need to wait for a day when I feed him!

ColetteK Wed 05-Jun-19 09:42:51

Great, thank you Grannyknot

Laurely Thu 13-Jun-19 10:32:46

We have granddaughters in this age range, and look after them quite often; one regularly one day a week. But it is much easier to get children of this age to eat if one gives them what they are used to; so that is what we do. We have found they love going to supermarkets, mostly for the pleasure of identifying and naming things. There is an immense number of things in there, though, that 'We don't buy' or 'don't need today' or 'has to stay here'. We don't buy sweets, though we may buy bubbles. And sometimes scones or small cakes to have about 4 o'clock.

Is any of that any use?

ColetteK Fri 14-Jun-19 13:42:16

Thank you Laurely,

It is great to hear your experiences. It can definitely be challenging feeding children in this age range (and beyond). As you look after your grandchildren regularly, if you are happy to take part in my study I would really appreciate it.

Colette

Laurely Fri 14-Jun-19 21:43:57

Colette: Happy to do so if it will help. How do we do that?

ColetteK Tue 18-Jun-19 10:27:08

Thank you Laurely,

The study is all completed online. Further information and how to proceed with the study can be found at this link

scharr.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6WmCIrwmQDFupDL

Taking part in the study involves two parts;
1. Completing an online survey
2. Completing an online 24 hour food & drink recall (for food & drinks provided to your child/grandchild)

Let me know if you have any questions or queries.

Thank you

glammanana Tue 18-Jun-19 11:36:49

Have completed first part now,when I first had my DGD her mummy sent her with the food for the day,she now eats what we eat and I provide all the meals on the day she stays here.Just waiting to complete the 24hr food diary.