Gransnet forums

Media/research requests

Lockdown drinking habits

(56 Posts)
MEDIA: Claire Cohen Tue 26-Jan-21 12:22:51

Hi

I'm writing from the Telegraph, looking for lockdown drinking stories for tomorrow's paper. There are some new stats today about an increase in alcohol consumption among 'older' (sorry) generations. Are you worried your partner is drinking too much in lockdown? Are you drinking more than ever but not worried as you're otherwise really healthy? Did you have a moment in the last year where you realised your at-home drinking was tipping over over into problematic? Get in touch if you have a story to tell and can speak today. Ideally, we'd name and picture you but anonymous tales can also work.

Thanks so much,
Claire
[email protected]

janeainsworth Tue 26-Jan-21 13:42:50

Sorry! No change in consumption levels here wink

Lucca Tue 26-Jan-21 13:45:13

No change here either. A glass of wine at 6.

MaizieD Tue 26-Jan-21 14:08:59

Absolutely no change at all here, apart from an afternoon beer in the garden on fine days during that lovely summer.

janeainsworth Tue 26-Jan-21 14:16:17

I think Claire might have to change her storyline from ‘Shock as old people quadruple their alcohol intake during lockdown’ to ‘Shock as old people just carry on drinking at pre-lockdown levels’
grin

PamelaJ1 Tue 26-Jan-21 14:20:32

We’ve changed.
We have used lockdown to reduce our weight and as a result have reduced our drinking too.
I think that we were very aware that our alcohol consumption was too high. Higher than the recommended units anyway.
I think that we were a fair distance from having a problem though.

We drink non alcohol beer rather than the full fat stuff! Adnams Ghost Ship is our favourite. Not keen on the low alcohol wine and haven’t tried the new low/no % Gin.

Redhead56 Tue 26-Jan-21 14:25:10

No change here red wine 🍷 nightcaps.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 26-Jan-21 14:25:25

No indeed, it's just a case of 'more tea, Vicar?' which I ask myself as I get up from the sofa to operate the kettle.

Jane10 Tue 26-Jan-21 14:26:49

I'm drinking less. Just as happy with a soft drink or water.

Luckylegs Tue 26-Jan-21 14:30:09

We are drinking an awful lot more tea.

blondenana Tue 26-Jan-21 14:32:28

No, don't drink anyway, lockdown didn;t tempt me to start

Tea3 Tue 26-Jan-21 14:37:07

‘There are some new stats today about an increase in alcohol consumption among 'older' (sorry) generations’. I don’t know who these iron clad stomached individuals are but good on them! Both hub and I, plus most of the post 70s we know, have had to cut down or give up alcohol altogether for various medical reasons.

Jaxjacky Tue 26-Jan-21 14:47:07

We’ve cut down, for us drinking is a social event and pubs/restaurants are closed.

PamelaJ1 Tue 26-Jan-21 14:56:20

I just thought I would air this thought.
We hear that young people are not drinking as much. Not sure exactly what that means but when I see the amount of alcohol that the young folk in our family can put away I am not sure if that is true.
We, didn’t start drinking on a regular basis until we were about 50. We couldn’t afford it.

Jane10 Tue 26-Jan-21 14:58:55

Media only want dramatic stories. Not interested in us oldies with moderate or less alcohol consumption.

M0nica Tue 26-Jan-21 15:13:55

Never drank much and I still aren't.

But i think that Gransnetters as a whole and those responding to this thread in particular are not a statistically balanced sample of older people.

grannyactivist Tue 26-Jan-21 15:40:37

BrewDog do (apparently delicious) alcohol free beers and since the pandemic started my husband and son regularly buy a case between them and this has naturally led to a decline in their alcohol consumption. My own drinking rose slightly (from a very low starting point) at Christmas as I needed to test the limoncello, raspberry gin, sloe gin, cassis and fruit wine that I was bottling to give as gifts! blush

My parents-in-law, in their mid-eighties, are drinking the same amount as ever; a bottle of wine between them each week and a glass of either sherry or Baileys on a weekend.

BigBertha1 Tue 26-Jan-21 15:45:16

DH is barely drinking any alcohol now and I'm making up for it.

kittylester Tue 26-Jan-21 15:53:20

janeainsworth

I think Claire might have to change her storyline from ‘Shock as old people quadruple their alcohol intake during lockdown’ to ‘Shock as old people just carry on drinking at pre-lockdown levels’
grin

I was going to say that!!

But, my wine is not available from Sainsbury's since Brexit so I could be drinking an awful lot less!!

janeainsworth Tue 26-Jan-21 16:12:57

Kitty other supermarkets are available and sell very good wine! I'm working my way through Morrison's list winegrin

M0nica But i think that Gransnetters as a whole and those responding to this thread in particular are not a statistically balanced sample of older people.

In what way do you think Gransnetters differ from other older people?
I would think there's perhaps a difference between people in their 60's & people in their 80's?

Grandma11 Tue 26-Jan-21 16:17:07

I have never been a big Drinker, and never will be! The odd glass of wine or Champagne on special occasions, and the odd Icecold Lager on a hot day and it suits me fine! TH drinks a Craft beer that is only 0.5% alcohol, and it's very nice too! The same brewery also produce a full strength version, but taste wise there is very little difference, even the Name on the Label is the same.

grandMattie Tue 26-Jan-21 16:18:48

No change. We still only have one glass every evening, sometimes we put the boat out and have another 1/2!
I think more drinking is a problem for the younger ones, who aren't used to being at home all the time...

Callistemon Tue 26-Jan-21 16:28:39

Luckylegs

We are drinking an awful lot more tea.

grin

Lexisgranny Tue 26-Jan-21 16:35:53

No increase in alcohol, significant increase in tea.

AGAA4 Tue 26-Jan-21 16:40:58

Drinking less and only the odd glass of wine before lockdown.
Drinking more coffee and tea.