Gransnet forums

Media/research requests

CNN journalist looking to speak with grandparents

(28 Posts)
MEDIA: mickbk Fri 05-Feb-21 14:02:04

Hi there,

I'm a journalist with CNN in London. I am working on a story about the newfound freedoms for those who have been vaccinated.

In particular, I am interested in speaking with grandparents who will be able to reunite soon with their grandchildren now that they are vaccinated.

If you would be interested in speaking with me, please let me know, either in comment to the post, as a personal message, an email, or a phone call.

Thank you!

Mick
[email protected]

janeainsworth Fri 05-Feb-21 14:07:41

I am interested in speaking with grandparents who will be able to reunite soon with their grandchildren now that they are vaccinated

Is this a trap for the unwary?
I think most of us know that being vaccinated won’t mean we can be reunited with our grandchildren.
That won’t happen till lockdown restrictions are lifted, and that won’t happen till infection rates and hospital admissions are way down from what they are now.

3 of my grandchildren live in America and I won’t be able to see them for months, even though I’m going for my first dose tomorrow.

EllanVannin Fri 05-Feb-21 14:20:07

It's no panacea against the thousands of other viruses that are lurking. The world is no longer a safe place, nor is mixing with others.
I for one will be in no hurry to jump feet first into the unknown just because I've had one vaccination.

M0nica Fri 05-Feb-21 14:32:56

I may be vaccinated but will not being seeing my DGCs until the rules change.

I am usually not the totally obedient' do as the government says' type, but in the current situation, the price of being too precipitate -the virus spreading again and more people dying - is too high to be anything other than law-abiding

Jaxjacky Fri 05-Feb-21 14:35:45

As others have said, rules remain the same after vaccination.

keepingquiet Fri 05-Feb-21 15:43:29

Yep I've had my first dose today and I am desperate to see my grandsons who live 200 miles away. However, I know it does not become effective for a few days and not fully effective until after my second dose which should be in May.
Truth is it is still too early to tell the full levels of protection.
I sense this is about fishing for a TV story where families are reunited and I certainly wouldn't want that level of intrusion in my life.

Esspee Fri 05-Feb-21 16:29:44

Interesting that a journalist, who should know better, is implying that one vaccination allows you to be able to see your grandchildren.
Most of us have, or are about to have the first of the two needed. There is supposed to be a three week gap between vaccinations. Very few people have been allowed that (Boris’s dad and Tom Jones and the like being exceptions).
Even once we get both vaccinations we will still be able to catch Covid, we will not be immune. Perhaps that information has not trickled down to CNN.

Marydoll Fri 05-Feb-21 16:31:49

Has this been cleared by GNHQ?

EllanVannin Fri 05-Feb-21 16:38:43

Probably not Marydoll.

Callistemon Fri 05-Feb-21 16:39:25

Having the first vaccination does not mean we will have a new-found freedom and surely even journalists know this?

I only know one couple who have had both vaccinations but, even so, they are still being cautious.

Ro60 Fri 05-Feb-21 16:39:39

Hmm agree with all above

Callistemon Fri 05-Feb-21 16:43:57

mobile.twitter.com/mickbk?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Interesting - Mick Krever - you know quite well we will not have any new-found freedoms for quite some time yet.

Are you looking for a sensational story about "the older generation" who intend breaking the rules?

Cynical, moi?
Always

Judy54 Fri 05-Feb-21 16:45:38

Doesn't putting personal information including email address and phone number violate GN rules?

Callistemon Fri 05-Feb-21 16:50:32

He is a journalist looking for a story, Judy54 so it will be business phone and address.

M0nica Fri 05-Feb-21 16:59:46

This is a CNN report. A news station not known for impartiality or subtlty.

janeainsworth Fri 05-Feb-21 17:10:46

MOnica in the USA it’s known as the Communist Channel. Compared to the likes of Fox News, CNN are the good guys.

Judy54 Fri 05-Feb-21 17:11:58

Thank you Callistemon for confirming that.

janeainsworth Fri 05-Feb-21 17:12:56

Doesn't putting personal information including email address and phone number violate GN rules?
Judy the journalist has put them in the OP so what’s the problem?

I don’t know why anyone thinks this might have been posted without GNHQ’s permission confused

Riverwalk Fri 05-Feb-21 17:36:54

Marydoll

It's in the Media section - I think that means it's been cleared.

It's still a stupid premise that a first vaccination will enable us to reunite with grandchildren and give new found freedoms.

I'm disappointed that GNHQ cleared this.

Riverwalk Fri 05-Feb-21 17:43:14

In fact I'm tempted to report it, but there are accusations of members being trigger-happy!

Marydoll Fri 05-Feb-21 17:57:53

It has been approved. I asked! 👍

mickbk Mon 08-Feb-21 10:20:38

Hi all - thank you for your responses. To clear up any misunderstandings, yes this post was cleared by GNHQ.

If anyone is interested in speaking with me, please do let me know. Again, at this point it's just for my understanding of the story, nothing on the record.

Thanks,

Mick

mickbk Mon 08-Feb-21 10:20:38

Hi all - thank you for your responses. To clear up any misunderstandings, yes this post was cleared by GNHQ.

If anyone is interested in speaking with me, please do let me know. Again, at this point it's just for my understanding of the story, nothing on the record.

Thanks,

Mick

LauraNorder Mon 08-Feb-21 10:30:27

Two doses and the requisite time lag to being protected will still not mean we can happily throw caution to the wind.
The protection only goes as far as perhaps not being as ill as we might have been otherwise. We can still catch the virus and therefore still spread the virus.
Only a complete numpty will give you a story.

Maggiemaybe Mon 08-Feb-21 11:37:23

Marydoll

Any threads on the Media/research requests forum have been approved, Marydoll. You can’t just add a thread on here, as you can on the others.

It’s the ones that sneak through on Ask a Gran, etc that you’ve to avoid!