Gransnet forums

Media/research requests

Volunteers needed to participate in simple online study

(8 Posts)
MEDIA: Dr John Prowle Fri 12-Feb-21 17:11:22

Dear Gransnet members,

As the NHS recovers from COVID-19, we will be faced with an enormous backlog of surgery, making it even more important that patients are best informed to make correct decisions about their care.

The Optimising Decision Making for High-Risk Major Surgery (OSIRIS) programme (osiris-programme.org), led by Barts Health NHS Trust & Queen Mary University London, and funded by the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR), is currently investigating different aspects of the communication and decision-making process for patients and their doctor’s around major surgical operations

One of the studies consists of a simple online survey in which participants are invited to think about an imaginary medical situation and think about the decisions they would make under those circumstances. The details given are varied for each person taking part to help us better understand how information and risks affect people’s choices. A detailed description of the study is provided in the link below.

This survey takes about 20 - 30 minutes and can be accessed on a phone, tablet or computer, and we are looking for UK residents aged over 50 to respond.

We would be very grateful if you could take part, by following this link and then clicking “Start”: bit.ly/2ZEPEus.

Thanks much in advance for your help.

Dr John Prowle

on behalf of the

The OSIRIS Research Programme
osiris-programme.org
[email protected]

cornishpatsy Fri 12-Feb-21 17:29:48

That was an interesting survey.

silverlining48 Fri 12-Feb-21 17:40:56

My thought exactly Patsy. Hope there is a good GN response and that it helps.

Nannarose Fri 12-Feb-21 17:58:38

Sadly, I am awaiting surgery - would have been interested!

Kate54 Fri 12-Feb-21 18:04:30

Started doing this but technology got a bit wobbly so I stopped. Plus, it was full of errors so I’m afraid I got rather suspicious.

Jaxjacky Fri 12-Feb-21 18:58:15

Bit disappointed with some spelling...being picky!

Septimia Fri 12-Feb-21 18:58:36

The errors were certainly off-putting. However, having taught undergraduate students and proofread PhD theses, I know just how poor the spelling and grammar can be. Intelligence seems to have nothign to do with that!

MadeInYorkshire Fri 12-Feb-21 19:41:02

Been in a similar position!

Interesting ....