Gransnet forums

Media/research requests

Aching for grandchildren?

(28 Posts)
MEDIA: Rachel C Tue 01-Dec-20 17:56:15

The Telegraph is looking to speak to women who have grown-up children but are longing for grandchildren, after Jenni Murray admitted she is 'jealous' of friends who already have them... www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9005189/Jenni-Murray-reveals-heartache-wanting-grandchildren.html
If you would be happy to discuss the subject with one of our writers for a thoughtful, sensitive piece, please do get in touch at [email protected]

janeainsworth Tue 01-Dec-20 18:24:02

So Jenni Murray, ‘despite her longing to be a grandmother, ........knows not to 'pester' her two sons into having children.’

But it’s ok to write an article about it in Saga magazine & then have it plastered all over the Daily Fail 🙄

BlueBelle Tue 01-Dec-20 18:59:46

No thanks

Smileless2012 Tue 01-Dec-20 19:02:54

What about the women who have been estranged by their adult child and as a result, are estranged from their grand children too?

Much harder to not be allowed to see the grand children you have, than 'miss' ones who haven't been born yet.

Lucca Tue 01-Dec-20 19:25:58

Doesn’t apply but I wouldn’t anyway. It’s a nonsensical subject IMO, imagine a young couple who are aching for children reading this .

Smileless2012 Tue 01-Dec-20 19:26:55

I agree Lucca; talk about insensitivetchangry.

M0nica Tue 01-Dec-20 19:40:26

I am always wary of people who 'ache' for things. Aching for grandchildren always suggest to me a grandmother who, once such grandchildren arrived would be interfering and dominating and would then wonder why she hardly ever saw her grandchildren once they did arrive.

I always hoped to have grandchildren, but never set my heart on it. In the end I became a grandmother of two children and am glad it all worked out,

Urmstongran Tue 01-Dec-20 19:51:45

I can appreciate she’d like to have grandchildren but to ‘ache’ for them? Really? Get on with your life Jenni & count your blessings. If it happens, it happens. She sounds too needy to me.

Namsnanny Tue 01-Dec-20 19:52:55

Lucca

Doesn’t apply but I wouldn’t anyway. It’s a nonsensical subject IMO, imagine a young couple who are aching for children reading this .

Totally agree!

My Mother got wind we might be happy to start a family, and she asked every week
'No news then?' smirking and adding
'I only had to look at your Dads trousers to get pregnant'!
Lovely woman.

Namsnanny Tue 01-Dec-20 19:55:25

Smileless2012

What about the women who have been estranged by their adult child and as a result, are estranged from their grand children too?

Much harder to not be allowed to see the grand children you have, than 'miss' ones who haven't been born yet.

Agree Smileless2012

Hithere Tue 01-Dec-20 20:01:08

Makes no sense

She chooses to stay quiet but there is a piece of news with her name and a picture of the sons in a major newspaper

The bit of " the sons are married with professional women with a career on the late 30s" wow, what a loaded passive aggressive statement

crazyH Tue 01-Dec-20 20:03:13

There are some women who "long for" grand children and when they do arrive, they take over ownership. My son's mother- in -law said, when the first baby arrived "she's mine" and I was just 2 feet away. I know I sound petty, but it really annoyed me at the time.
Sorry, I digress 😂

Urmstongran Tue 01-Dec-20 20:11:32

What a crass statement that woman made crazyH.
Unbelievable.

Jaxjacky Tue 01-Dec-20 20:15:16

Is still seeking media attention after giving up Woman’s Hour? Disgraceful.

Woodmouse Tue 01-Dec-20 20:17:01

This raises an interesting issue as I am at the other end of the scale maybe? I have grown up children, two sons and a daughter. I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to be a grandmother. My daughter can't have children of her own but presumably my sons could. If grandchildren come along one day then so be it and I will do my best to be a good grandmother. However, if they never do I really can't imagine being disappointed or upset.

V3ra Tue 01-Dec-20 22:03:43

What a strange, self-absorbed and outdated attitude.
I've childminded for many, many clever, talented, ambitious, professional women over the last 32 years.
They were and are excellent mothers and it's been my privilege to share the upbringing of their children with them and their families.

Gwyneth Tue 01-Dec-20 23:26:19

It’s unlikely I will ever have grandchildren but have just accepted it. I rarely think about it. As long as my children are happy that’s all that matters.

eazybee Wed 02-Dec-20 07:30:36

It is a sorrow not having grandchildren, but it should be private; to put pressure on children in such a public way is inexcusable.
As for saying,'what you have never had you never miss'; that is not true; it is rather like being excluded from a club to which everyone else belongs, and being pitied because of it.

BlueBelle Wed 02-Dec-20 08:10:24

Dont give away personal stuff don’t forget this is media asking

Iam64 Wed 02-Dec-20 08:41:48

smilesless raises the unspoken pain felt by grandparents who are estranged from their adult children, so have the double loss of not seeing their own children or grandchildren.

BlueBelle gives the best advice. Don't give away personal stuff to the media

MrsThreadgoode Wed 02-Dec-20 09:06:57

I find it strange that’s she was in her 30s when she had children, her Mother was desperate for her to give her Grandchildren and she’s doing the same!

She is a professional and successful woman who has fought for Womens rights so I find her interview puzzling.

sodapop Wed 02-Dec-20 09:20:21

I agree MrsThreadgoode I would have expected better from Jenni Murray.

Ellianne Wed 02-Dec-20 09:56:12

I guess you can sort of ache for your children to experience the pleasures of having their own children, without aching for grandchildren yourself. That's different.

Nana3 Wed 02-Dec-20 10:20:15

I wouldn't believe anything printed about a person in the Daily Mail.

Astral Wed 02-Dec-20 10:23:27

I can't understand this. I think my life would have to be pretty empty to ache for other people to have children. Saying this as a total baby snatcher who welcomes any opportunity to cuddle a baby and loves children.

Women have been too pressured historically to have and love their own children and I think that has been ultimately detrimental in many families where relationships have been unhealthy due to the stress and pressure and mental problems associated with having children people weren't ready for or didn't plan.

Granted many parents do a wonderful job in difficult or unexpected circumstances but not wanting children is a valid choice that should be respected.

The last thing our children need is their parents having expectations about grandchildren.