Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

(34 Posts)
bunic Sat 23-Jul-11 18:46:37

just seen a stageshow called Dreamboats and Petticoats it was fantastic.Its set in 1961,it brought so many memories.I started work in that year, what were you upto in 1961?.

Marelli Thu 29-Nov-12 18:40:55

kitty, I was just the same -no confidence whatsoever. I used to be called names 'skinny-malinky long-legs', 'long streak of misery', 'scarecrow' (my clothes tended to hang on me rather than fit me) I was called all sorts of things - and as you can see, it's all stayed with me!
I'm confident and happy now too, but when I went to High School (the equivalent of Grammar School here), along with the one other pupil who passed the 'quali', it was even worse. I was really lonely and found it quite hard to mix. Lots of the children seemed to come from well-off homes and to my mind, were always pretty, clever and 'popular'. I ended up as the class clown though, and that helped make me a bit more popular, but didn't help me pass many more exams!
Gally I always lusted after a pair of slip-ons, too grin

glitabo Thu 29-Nov-12 18:50:44

I was 18 and started teacher training in September 1961.

london Thu 29-Nov-12 18:54:00

i was 13 in the june and was very loud .

flowerfriend Thu 29-Nov-12 18:57:36

I was 14 in 1961. My friend's cousin told me about rock and roll and she was always "jigging" around and friend and I thought she was 'cool'. I remember a girl at school talking about Elvis Presley and when I saw a photo of him I thought he looked 'common'. I was a little snob! When my sixties starting swinging I forgot about all that and although there were no drugs in my life there's an agreeable blur which is BEATLE coloured.

absentgrana Thu 29-Nov-12 18:59:26

Like kittylester and Marelli I was in my last year at primary school. I also did the 11+ – just marched into the hall one morning and given a sharp pencil and then an entrance exam (all day one Saturday) at the school where my older sister had won just about every prize going during the year. Did that make me feel inferior? Of course it did. I got in with a scholarship though, but whether that was or good or bad thing is another matter.

I remember the late sixties much better.

vampirequeen Thu 29-Nov-12 18:59:31

I was 2 years old.

merlotgran Thu 29-Nov-12 19:00:14

I was 14 and living near Marlow in Buckinghamshire. Weekends were spent riding or messing about on the river. Happy Days. smile sunshine

baubles Thu 29-Nov-12 19:14:17

I was seven years old and have absolutely no memories of being that age. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing hmm