Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

North-West Meet-up

(17 Posts)
helshea Wed 26-Sep-12 18:48:22

Just seen quite a few threads about meet ups and was wondering if there had ever been a Lancashire meet up?

whenim64 Wed 26-Sep-12 19:10:01

Welcome back Helshea. We are planning a north west meet up in the next couple of months or so. Nothing finalised yet, though.

helshea Wed 26-Sep-12 19:12:25

Sounds good... hopefully count me in. Any ideas where?

annodomini Wed 26-Sep-12 19:19:49

Somewhere around Manchester, we think, helshea because of accessibility. Unless you have a better idea!

helshea Wed 26-Sep-12 19:21:09

Manchester is good for me.. know it quite well so anywhere that way would be fine!

irener Fri 28-Sep-12 11:58:19

Please add me and send info.

annodomini Fri 28-Sep-12 12:14:47

OK, irener, will put you on the list to contact when we decide.

annodomini Fri 28-Sep-12 12:18:29

Getting quite a long list of possibles from all over the NW and into Derbyshire. I wonder if we could change the thread title because we encompass more than Lancs. Will contact HQ.

annodomini Fri 28-Sep-12 12:59:52

Cari has agreed to have the thread title changed to North-West meet-up. As there's a tech glitch at the moment, this may take some time. Any bright suggestions for a venue will be warmly welcomed.

Knowsley Thu 29-Nov-12 16:01:59

Is this still on the cards? If so add me to the list.

I live in Huyton, just on the outskirts of Liverpool. I've helped arrange a meet up for members of an on-line Music group in Liverpool in the past. Some things which I might suggest would be - running it on a Saturday (making sure no other major event is taking place in the city on that day), arrange to meet in a large pub that serves food and coffee as an alternative to the demon drink. wink Somewhere like a Wetherspoons which would be near to the station - the central hub where most would arrive. For those driving, there would usually be a car park near to the station.

Mind you, most of the on-line Music group were borderline alcoholics. Good luck!

whenim64 Thu 29-Nov-12 16:19:23

Hi Knowsley we met a week ago and now have another get-together planned for Wednesday 19th December 12.30 pm at The Coach House, Trafford Centre. I'll find the other North West thread and put it on here so you can see what's been happening. You're very welcome to join us smile

crimson Thu 29-Nov-12 16:29:17

What sort of music is it that you're interested in Knowsley?

Knowsley Mon 03-Dec-12 22:57:56

Thanks Whenim64, I don't think I'll be able to make it on the 19th - I'm due to be teaching in Kirkby that day. (I teach the over-50s how to become silver surfers for Age UK).

Hi Crimson, we were ex-members of the Mojo magazine on-line board. We fell out with the admin on the site and one of our number was a Systems Programmer who started his own board. So, to answer your question, it was music that featured in Mojo magazine - pop, rock and singer-songwriters from 60s & 70s mainly. When we had the regional meets a lot of the guys wore black or very dark tee-shirts to disguise their middle-age spread. I coined a term for them - 'FOBBITS' (Fat Old Balding Blokes In Tee Shirts), it seemed so apt. I've got it accepted in the Urban Dictionary. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fobbits

whenim64 Mon 03-Dec-12 23:02:24

Shame you can't come this time Knowsley. I remember Mojo magazine. It would be good to hear more about its life and times.

Perhaps we'll see you when we next meet up? smile

Knowsley Sat 08-Dec-12 01:16:46

I hope I can get to a future meet-up. I'm extremely busy at the mo - we've moved to new premises, increased our class sizes by 50% and I'm juggling with my volunteer mentors with one off sick and another taking time off to move house.

Have any of you heard that nearly all benefits will have to be claimed online next year? On here I expect the Pension Credits and Housing Benefits will affect most. It's going live nationally in October 2013 but we, in the North West, are to be the guinea pigs as we go live in April next year. Will be interesting times.

Bill smile

Nelliemoser Sat 08-Dec-12 09:29:35

whenim I am still not sure about that date but will confirm later.

annodomini Sat 08-Dec-12 09:57:49

Knowsley- yes, the benefits minefield! At the CAB we expect an avalanche of puzzled and disgruntled claimants, especially those DLA claimants who will have to apply for PIP and assessment by the discredited Atos. And what about the benefit cap! It will all be stressful for advisers but distressing for many of our clients.