Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

West Sussex - Haywards Heath or Burgess Hill meet-up

(103 Posts)
yogagran Sun 09-Feb-14 18:38:43

I'm hoping that a few of us will be able to get together for coffee and cake. I'm in the Horsham area but I think that Haywards Heath or possibly Burgess Hill may be more convenient for others. I don't know either towns particularly well so if we do manage to arrange a date I would be grateful for suggestions for a venue.
Hope we can arrange a mid week date in early March

I know Babs123 and greatfulgran74 are in this West Sussex area so I'm really hoping to hear from both of you and anyone else nearby

NannaAnna Sun 09-Feb-14 21:05:50

Hi yogagran, I can generally do a Monday, and occasionally a Wednesday or Friday. Is Saturday an option for you? I know greatfulgran74 can only do Saturdays.
Haywards Heath has been suggested a few times and probably has more to offer than Burgess Hill (I've lived in both, but not for a few years now).
Hope we can find a few Sussex gransnetters to come along smile

Brendawymms Sun 09-Feb-14 21:41:16

I'm am East Sussex Nana but can get to Hayward's Heath easily if allowed!

NannaAnna Sun 09-Feb-14 22:08:24

In my mind Brendawymms Sussex is still one county grin Never approved of the split back in the 60s/70s or whenever it was!

yogagran Sat 15-Feb-14 16:29:04

There's been a slight change of plan! A couple of us are planning to meet for a morning coffee on Thursday 27th in Horsham. If anyone else is free to join us let me know and I'll give you the details
It would be good to see you

Brendawymms Sat 15-Feb-14 16:55:39

I would have loved to join you, if allowed from East Sussex but will be on holiday. I'm very sad I won't be there.

yogagran Sat 15-Feb-14 20:11:49

That's a real shame Brenda, perhaps next time?

NannaAnna Sun 16-Feb-14 22:39:59

Can't do Thursdays unfortunately as it's one of the days I work.
Hope you have a good time yogagran smile

Jang Tue 18-Feb-14 19:38:23

Hi Would like to meet up but not Tuesdays or Thursdays.. as I swim those mornings... so maybe next time! Have fun everyone :-)

gratefulgran54 Sat 22-Feb-14 15:56:58

Oh shame, will be back at school then, weekdays are only good for me if it's a school holiday...maybe something around the Easter hols? smile

NannaAnna Sat 22-Feb-14 18:47:07

Anyone else up for the Easter school holidays? I have no idea what the dates are though!
gratefulgran54 would you like to suggest a couple of dates?
And how about 'Miss Mabel's Tea Rooms? Looks fun grin local.gransnet.com/west-sussex/coffee-shops/35780-miss-mabels-tea-room

gratefulgran54 Sun 23-Feb-14 16:04:34

This year they break up on the 4th April, and go back on 23rd.
Miss Mabels is lovely, I would highly recommend, and easy to find, as right next door to Wickes!
How about a Wednesday..9th or 16th. I can fit in with most days though, except 15th, as taking DS1 to have his wisdom teeth out!

NannaAnna Sun 23-Feb-14 19:44:50

Hi gratefulgran54 Miss Mabel's in Burgess Hill it is then, and a Wednesday is good for me smile
Who else would like to join us, and do you have a preference between 9th and 16th April?
Let us know, and let's get this confirmed grin

Jang Sun 23-Feb-14 22:19:58

Oh Dear I am away first two weeks of April and not back in country til 18th...so sadly looks like I will not be able to make it this time ( and I love Miss Mabel's too) sad

yogagran Sun 23-Feb-14 22:39:23

That sounds good. Out of those two dates I would prefer the 16th as it would save me having to change a dentist appointment.
Miss Mabels' sounds interesting!

granjura Mon 24-Feb-14 10:19:46

Sorry to butt in, lol. OH went to primary school in Burgess Hill, to Junction Road- about 1951 to 54. I wonder if any of you were at school with him smile

He played squash with a woman for years at his Club in Leicestershire before they realised they had been at that school at the same time. OH's family then moved on to Surrey, where he finished his schooling in Walton and then Woking Grammar.

Have a nice time all...

NannaAnna Wed 26-Feb-14 23:28:11

As the GN survey has focussed minds on Gransnet locally, I'm giving this thread a bump to see if there are any more Sussex (East or West) Gransnetters interested in meeting up?

granjura Sat 01-Mar-14 15:57:21

Bump.

NannaAnna Sat 01-Mar-14 23:38:22

Thanks granjura smile

granjura Sun 02-Mar-14 10:35:38

LOL you are welcome. BTW do you know if Junction Road Primary school still exists. And does anyone know about Marle Place, now an adult education centre, where his family lived.

yogagran Sun 02-Mar-14 11:35:59

I did a photography course at Marle Place as few years ago, still going as an Adult Education centre granjura

granjura Sun 02-Mar-14 12:29:37

Thanks- if ever you go back there- could you pick up a brochure if there are pictures of the place and send it to me (against postage of course)- it was a child reception centre at the time- for orphans or abandonned children- run by my OH's family (not easy for their own 3 children btw- which is why they eventually left).

yogagran Sun 02-Mar-14 15:32:42

I certainly will granjura. I never knew that it was a child reception centre. I'll call in next time I'm in the area. Try and get some photos for you too

granjura Sun 02-Mar-14 15:38:57

Really kind- he has a few picture of the family there- in the early 50s, and very fond memories of the place.

granjura Sun 02-Mar-14 21:05:12

Sorry for highjacking this thread- hope you have a lovely get together - perhaps some of you went to school with OH (he is from 1946 smile )