Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Late November Edinburgh

(61 Posts)
Elegran Fri 18-Oct-19 14:13:54

How about a non-Christmas lunch on 25th or 26th November?
Possibly -
Katek
Cascats
Grammaretto
Elegran

Grammaretto Fri 18-Oct-19 14:42:25

That might be nice. For me the December one would mean stuffing my face 2 days in a row....

GeminiJen Fri 18-Oct-19 17:48:24

Sounds good. Could do Nov 26. Perhaps a lighter lunch on this occasion? Somewhere different? hmm

cascats Fri 18-Oct-19 19:41:47

26th good for me as well. Any ideas for location?

Elegran Fri 18-Oct-19 20:22:19

Yes, a lighter lunch, definitely.

Elegran Fri 18-Oct-19 20:31:41

I've just had a look on Tripadvbiser, and Lowdown Coffee, 40 George Street, has very good reviews. I know absolutely nothing more about it, except that it says "A modern specialty coffee basement in central Edinburgh. Daily light food menu and retail coffee too." "Cafe, British, Healthy" and "Vegetarian Friendly, Vegan Options, Gluten Free Options, Breakfast, Lunch, Brunch" Anyone been there?

Grammaretto Fri 18-Oct-19 21:41:36

Lovely. I look forward to it. I haven't been to that place but it sounds fine. Consistently excellent is good enough for me.
26th is a Tuesday.

Elegran Fri 18-Oct-19 22:27:51

It is somewhere a bit different. I asked about their menu. It changes frequently, but this is today's. It would be just soup and sandwiches, but they do sound very good.

Elegran Fri 18-Oct-19 22:28:55

Sorry, forgot to attach the menu.

Jane10 Fri 18-Oct-19 22:36:51

Bit cheeky saying you can only stay for an hour and a half!

Elegran Fri 18-Oct-19 22:50:58

Maybe they have had people sitting all morning over one cup of coffee!

Now if you go to the White Lady in Corstorphine, you can not only keep refilling your mug free as often as you want, but it only costs £1.50 - lattes, cappucinos and all.

GeminiJen Sat 19-Oct-19 11:40:48

Sounds good, Elegran....Count me in.
Jane10 In fairness, the wording is "We kindly request...."
Given how common it is these days for people to make a solitary coffee last for ages while they take advantage of the free wi-fi, my sympathies are with the cafe. On our recent visit to the Dovecot Studios, Elegran and cascats can vouch for the fact that 3 individuals + laptops took up 3 tables for 4 in the busy but small cafe hmm

EllieB52 Thu 31-Oct-19 10:33:22

Hi all. I’ve only just discovered there are meet-ups. I live in East Lothian but could come into Edinburgh for either of those dates. As I would be on the bus a central location would suit me. Only lived up here for a year (in fact one year on 26th November) so still finding my way around.

Brunette10 Thu 31-Oct-19 10:52:00

I'm sorry I won't mange this meet-up. Have dentist follow-up after dental hospital visit. So sorry. Hope everyone has a good time - enjoy!

Elegran Thu 31-Oct-19 11:37:31

EllieB52, we'd be very pleased to meet you. I've added your name to the list. It looks like it is the 26th Nov at Lowdown Coffee, 40 George Street, very handy for the bus station. Look for the table with several women all talking nineteen to the dozen. That'll be us.

Has anyone who's been there know whether booking is necessary, or would dropping in be OK? If no-one knows, I'll go in for a cup of coffee one day and reconnoitre.

Cascats
Grammaretto
Elegran
GeminiJen
EllieB52

Elegran Thu 31-Oct-19 11:38:10

Brunette Sorry to hear you won't be there. Good luck with the dentist.

EllieB52 Thu 31-Oct-19 11:50:46

Elegran thank you so much for including me. What time would I need to get there?

Elegran Thu 31-Oct-19 11:56:15

Probably 1.00 pm. Does that suit everyone?

GeminiJen Thu 31-Oct-19 13:12:38

Elegran 1pm is good for me.

EllieB52 If you're interested, have a look at the Christmas lunch meetup in Edinburgh on December 2. I think I'm right in saying that Elegran has booked for 15 and numbers currently stand at around 10...so there's room for more smile

EllieB52 Thu 31-Oct-19 14:18:28

Will do GeminiJen.

Grammaretto Fri 01-Nov-19 13:06:52

I am looking forward to it! Hello EllieB52 !

Elegran Mon 11-Nov-19 16:22:45

I've just been to suss out Lowdown Coffee and another place in George street which was recommended by my Daughter-in-Law - Milk and Honey.
Verdict - Only peered into the windows of Lowdown, but it is very small, one row of tiny tables against the window wall plus serving counter and bar against the back wall. Haven't tried the food.

Milk and Honey - bigger, normal size tables-for-4 plus one large marble-topped table which would hold five or six (eight if you keep your elbows in) Excellent pea and ham soup or another soup, array of sandwiches wraps etc and a display case of cakes.

I think we might do better in Milk and Honey. Any views on that? I had not booked anywhere until I saw both places.

cascats Mon 11-Nov-19 16:37:26

Milk and Honey sounds better from what you say. Happy to go with your judgement Elegran.
Just a thought, if Lowdown Coffee is small maybe thats why they request the one and a half hour time limit, to increase their turnover.

Elegran Mon 11-Nov-19 16:51:26

You could be right, Cascats. It would only take a few people sitting over laptops with one cup of coffee per morning, each at a separate table, to fill it up.

Elegran Mon 11-Nov-19 16:55:01

I hope it is clear that neither of these places is a "Christmas Lunch" sort of establishment. They are coffee shops with homemade soups and sandwiches/snacks.