Gransnet forums

Menopause

will this ever end?

(24 Posts)
Ziggy62 Tue 06-Jun-17 20:03:50

Christmas 2014 I had my first hot flush. Have continued to deal with them using soya capsules which helped until recently. I got married to the most amazing guy last September, we have a good life, my children are doing well, I changed jobs last Christmas to a much easier, less stressful role which I truly enjoy

BUT recently I feel so very very tired, hot flushes wake me every night and I never feel like I get a decent sleep anymore. I went to the doctor a few weeks ago as I'm also constantly thirsty. My joints and bones ache, I'm 55 and the pain walking downstairs is crazy. I have no energy at all. I follow slimming world plan so have healthy diet and don't drink to excess. I get out in the garden every day, weather permitting.

All blood tests doctor sent off came back clear, so is this just the menopause and will it ever end

phoenix Tue 06-Jun-17 20:14:29

Oh Ziggy I do feel for you, it's bloody awful!

Yes, hot flushes etc, it will end, but what you say about joint ache & walking downstairs, plus the constant thirst, should be taken seriously, don't be fobbed off with "well, it's your age".

My menopausal symptoms (apart from the damn hot flushes!) included anxiety, forgetfulness, and other things that I can't remember grin I'm hurtling towards 59 with all the grace and elegance of a hippo on a skateboard.

Go back to your GP, for some women a course of HRT can work wonders, although it isn't suitable for all.

It may be just the menopause, but these days you don't have to just put up and shut up!

Ziggy62 Thu 08-Jun-17 17:56:52

thanks, I am gonna go back to the doctor as I am getting worse

Luckygirl Thu 08-Jun-17 18:07:39

No - don't just put up with it if it is making your life miserable. I feel for you!

Gotthattshirt Wed 12-Jul-17 09:38:16

I so hate to add gloom to this discussion but I had my first missed period at 50 and at 65 I still experience menopausal symptoms of hot flushes and cotton wool brain.
Don't suffer in silence. There's no avoiding the menopause but there is still a quality of life to be had.

Nanabilly Wed 12-Jul-17 09:55:57

For starters I'm not fully convinced the sw plan is a healthy one .For me personally it proved not to be with the cutting out of some foods my hair went dry and dull , my nails went brittle and my joints were achey and creaky. Then there is my skin which was awful, dry ,dull, dirty looking and spotty at almost 60.
Not my best look.
The menopause, I was thrown into it at full throttle when I had a total hysterectomy aged 45 and the sweats were horrific.
I took a combination of vitamin c tablets with starflower oil capsules and vitamin b tablets and it helped but did not cure completely. I suppose we are all different so it's a case of trial and error .
Have you heard of the chillow pillow for hot nights. You can get them on the internet and nowadays you can get them quite cheaply compared to the £30+ when they first came out. They are supposed to be quite good , I know a lot of women who swear by them . Worth a try but I would still pay a visit to your gp and discuss things with them as they should do a blood test to determine if you are in the midst of the menopause or if they need to do further investigative tests.I
Good luck with it all , it's not nice is it . These men think they have it tough ,I wish a few of them could have the symptoms

eddiecat78 Sun 23-Jul-17 17:31:26

What I don`t understand is why I can go for weeks feeling reasonably ok and then (today!) I feel generally unwell and the hot flushes are back. I had my last period about 5 years ago - surely the hormones must have settled down by now?
It doesn`t happen enough to justify going on HRT but I am fed up with it

shysal Sun 23-Jul-17 17:44:37

I loved the Chillow cooling pads, but the original company has folded due to the cheap inferior fakes seen on line. The different brand I now have are not nearly as cool, but can be put in the fridge for an hour or two before bedtime.

eddiecat78 Sun 23-Jul-17 18:04:07

I can cope with the occasional hot flush - but on the days they happen I can feel really rough - washed out and wobbly. I woke up this morning feeling bad and couldn`t understand why - then along came the hot flush!

Menopaws Sun 23-Jul-17 20:57:11

No booze and no coffee reduced mine a lot and anxiety and heart rate dropped

Ziggy62 Sun 13-Aug-17 21:50:14

I returned to doctor, he was very sympathetic and listened to all my woes. He went through all my blood tests with me explaining them all. In the end he gave me a low dose pill for lowering blood pressure, apparently they help with hot flushes. I was prescribed 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening but had to stop the morning dose as I felt so sleepy at work. Thankfully hot flushes no where near as bad. I'm still following slimming world plan, weight is coming off slowly but its coming off. I'm drinking a lot more water. My husband bought me a bike for my birthday 2 weeks ago and we go for short rides most evenings, my knees are very sore but i'm loving it and feel so much better.
I've accepted this is part of life and will avoid HRT as long as I can

Claudiaclaws Sun 13-Aug-17 22:47:28

For heavens sake go back to your GP and start taking HRT
It will change your life. You are only 55. I had a hysterectomy when I was 40 and have been on it since. I am now 67.
It protects against osteoporosis, heart problems.
There has been a lot of bad press about HRT which is completely unjustified. There are no medals for suffering unnecessarily.

Ziggy62 Mon 14-Aug-17 08:33:43

I don't read health scares in the press, never had. I have looked into HRT and don't feel it is the answer for me at the moment.

gillybob Mon 14-Aug-17 08:42:25

I'm 55 ziggy62 and like yourself I have been suffering for years. Hot flushes all night, little sleep, day time flushes, irritability, reoccurring urine infections, no sex drive, aching joints, tiredness and on off prolonged bleeds sometimes lasting weeks. It got to the point where I couldn't take much more and it took me several visits to the GP before I eventfully persuaded one of them to prescribe me with HRT (I have other health issues) I have been taking it for several months now and whilst things are not perfect by any means I feel much better and looking forward to further improvements over the next few months.

Ziggy62 Mon 14-Aug-17 10:06:07

wow, gillybob, that is some list of awful problems to be dealing with. I totally understand you trying HRT. Luckily I haven't had any bleeding, hot flushes no where near as bad as they were. Must admit if I had urine infections I too would seek help (nothing worse). Hope you're feeling much much better very soon

helpme Fri 06-Oct-17 13:54:25

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Bluegal Mon 09-Oct-17 21:33:21

This is probably going to sound ridiculous but as you mention following SW diet I am wondering if you need more fat in your diet. I only mention this because I read of a GP who had similar symptoms as you describe and she stopped all dieting and ate a lot more of fats and her symptoms eased. She did say as a GP she couldn't advise her patients to follow her example (as probably more fats may increase the risk of other problems) However, maybe SW is lacking in something you actually need?

Ignore me if you feel this is complete rubbish but I have never followed any diet in my life I just eat in moderation but eat anything, carbs, fats, proteins etc - am probably slightly overweight but not massively - I have never suffered with any of the problems my stick thin colleagues and friends seem to suffer from. Sailed through the menopause, don't have osteo parosis or any joint issues. Is it luck? or is there something in dieting that is extremely bad for us? Just a thought...... Hope you feel better soon

Volvariella Mon 13-Nov-17 17:26:52

Nothing wrong with slimming world although I agree it is important to have a small amount of "good fat" if following the plan long term. Your symptoms Ziggy62 are most likely due to menopause (if other things have been ruled out) and will be alleviated or at least minimised by HRT. Far better to take this (ie replacing deficient hormones) than some form of blood pressure drug. Your doc should have prescribed HRT as this is the recommended treatment for menopausal symptoms caused by oestrogen deficiency. Why don't you want to take it? I've been on it since mid 50's now in mid 60's. It helps protect heart and bones and we now live for 30 years or more post-menopause so these are important considerations as well as quality of life.

corkychum Wed 22-Nov-17 11:39:36

I don't want to be negative, but I've had symptoms (anxiety, disturbed sleep, hot flushes, etc) for 10 freakin' years!! And apparently this is quite common. They're gradually easing now (I'm 64) but it's been a long haul and my doctor wouldn't let me have HRT - why? Dunno, I wasn't a high risk patient. I find yoga and meditation help, but still needed anti-depressants for the panic attacks. Happy days.

valeriej43 Fri 24-Nov-17 23:01:20

Corkychum, try another Dr, i have just been put back on HRT and im early 70s,,mention the NICE guidelines who have said a lot of the heakth scares are not valid
I have had no problem with my Dr, he gave me livial. [Tibolone] and vagifem, without any argument at all
The guidelines used to say stop HRT after 60, but now its changed and you can stay on them for life

Audrie57 Fri 05-Oct-18 12:25:41

I had a complete hysterectomy when I was 34, then I had no problem until 20 years ago and the sweats started, it was hell, I heard a little boy ask his mummy why was I crying, I was not crying I was on the bus, and I was soaked, my hair flat stuck to my head it was a good job I had my usual half roll of Kitchen roll in my pockets. It was awful and it was to much, people use to stare at me all the time, the wsweat ws just pumping out of my body from the top of my head to to my feet, If I wasn't careful I would drip on stuff I was working. My GP was about as use as a chocolate teapot. He didn't know what togive me. Then I didn't ask I demanded to see someone higher than my GP, I was sent to the hospital It was the Cancer Dr,I had been tosee him before, he said Audrie why have you been sent to me, I said I don't know, I was suppose to see someone about my sweating. I had been referred to the wrong department. So it was another wait. I finally got an appointment with Mr Jones and he gave me some tablets at first it helped then I was back to square one. Sweating, again back to the gp, back to Mr Jones, he said there was nothing else. I suffered, didn't want to go out, I didn't want my partner near me, it was hell, even when I was due to go out to lunch with my dad, he use to come in have a cuppa, and he never said a word, and then when there was a lull he said shall we make a move, and we would go to lunch, my sweating would start, out come my half roll of kitchen roll, to wipe my face and then I went back to my hospital to the ENT, department. I had a Ba Ha fitted, this is where a magnet is anchored into the mastoid bone, and the srew is on the out side of my head, and I knew it was a wonderful expensive tool but with water(sweat pumping my out of my head), I was scared that I damaged my Ba ha
Anyway this day it was a woman doctor in ENT and she said how long as this been going on, floodgates opened. She said you can not stay like this, she said I have a colleague here in Sheffield Hallamshire, I would like her to see you is that ok, I said I would try anything. I was called to the encrinology department, she said write lets start at the begining, how long has this been going on for, asked loads of questions and she percribed some tablets, went back after a month she increased and I was cured, but then I started again I saw her partner he, was very nice,and he went through it, wrote out a script said I will see you in a month and then we should be able to let your GP monitor you After a month I was still ok,he said I want to sign you off to your own GP in Barnsley, and I said NO you can;t, he asked why and I said cos my doctor has not a clue about this sweating lark, so he said what would you like me to do??? I said keep on seeing me for 6mnths and If I am not sweating then I will go under the GP. My tablets had to be altered not the ones for the sweating, but other medication was altered but in turn that was me sweating, I thought I just don't believe this. Anway looked up the medication for the sweating, read about it. Went to the gp and said when ever my medication is altered it mucks up my sweating, can I try a 5 mg increase in the morning and evening. I did that and after a couple of days I had the extra, and I was fine and still fine, touch wood, my Ba ha is worn all the time, now, which is great, I am not sweating no were near the amount I was, now it starts as I am getting ready to go out, Now I give my self more time, so when I start sweating I just sit down for a few minutes. so I am not getting , my hair dripping its really good.

Lynne59 Sat 06-Oct-18 09:08:18

I sympathise with you. I thought I was in the menopause, had been having the sweats, feeling tired, hot flushes, etc. Then, after 11 months of no periods, I started last weekend (it lasted a few days). I'm 59!

Doodle Sat 06-Oct-18 20:43:18

Fans!! Need I say more? I have a small desk fan by my chair and a bigger one in the bedroom. As soon as I feel the heat starting I turn them on. Doesn't help when you are out I know but I hardly ever wear a jumper always a very light Tshirt plus layers and I I heat up I strip off.

Happychops Sun 07-Oct-18 03:58:53

Do go back to your doctor as advised by others. I hope they can offer you some help. I can’t advise but will offer hope,you do eventually get through it although it may not seem like it at the moment. I thought it was never going to end, but it did and I am so much happier,no sweats etc.. it does stop,it just feels like forever. Thinking of you.