Gransnet forums

Menopause

Menopause symptoms

(91 Posts)
Welshgirl21 Fri 21-Feb-20 09:21:55

Having a bad week all my symptoms have arrived together the aches are the worst need to rest but cant . Crying for no reason am i the only one feeling like this .no one to talk to who really understands

Welshgirl21 Fri 21-Feb-20 09:25:50

Having a bad week all my symptoms have arrived together the aches are the worst need to rest but cant am i the only one who feels like this crying for no reason no one to talk to who really understands.

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 21-Feb-20 11:09:25

My eldest daughter is having problems too Welshgirl I think the reason you feel so alone is that everyone symptoms seem to be different, sadly I’m no help to her, which doesn’t help.

But she does speak to me on the phone and she talks to her sister who has just started having similar symptoms. Hopefully they will be through it all soon.

I saw on a forum recently that going back onto the birth control pill is helping some women. I’m sure you will have lots of help on Gransnet too.

I hope you soon come through it and out the other side.

Welshgirl21 Fri 21-Feb-20 11:13:57

Thank you for your reply i will try and keep positive .

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 21-Feb-20 11:31:28

My daughter longs for the weekends when she can just curl up with a book and relax, it helps that the children are older and can help her with the dog and other pets. But I know that trying to be positive is tough.

Missfoodlove Fri 21-Feb-20 12:30:01

I suffer low mood, hot flushes, all the usual stuff but nothing extreme.
For me exercise, sage for flushes and d mannose for all the UTI’s have helped enormously.
Alcohol is a big trigger so I have really cut down.
Yesterday I was so irritable and felt really grim, I wallowed and ate too much.
Today I’m active and feel far better.
My GP is useless friends and forums are far more helpful?.
I hope things improve.

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 21-Feb-20 15:08:48

DD1 has just told me that she is going to do a liver detox as a lot of her symptoms could be improved with a change in diet, lets hope it works.
At least she feels that she is doing something.
Although she is already vegetarian and cooks from scratch with organic food. As you said missfoodlove most doctors aren’t interested in Menopausal symptoms, although DD has had recent blood tests etc. to rule out anything nasty, which is more than a lot of Doctors will do.

Alioop Fri 28-Feb-20 10:06:07

Hi Welshgirl, I am feeling exactly like you. I spoke to my GP(male) about joint pains, night sweats, flushes etc. I was told he would rather see if I could 'ride it out' as he really doesn't like HRT as it's only putting the menopause off. My flushes in the day are embarrassing as I go red like a tomato, it's so obvious what's happening. I live on my own and find it lonely at times, but since the menopause hit me it's got a lot harder.

endlessstrife Fri 28-Feb-20 10:17:54

Oh don’t get me started!! I was fine until about 3 years ago, and then someone switched my body for this ‘ new ‘ one in the night!. Started with insomnia, aches and pains, fatigue. More recently, it’s been emotional, so depression and anxiety. I’ve also had horrible head nausea, a bit like travel sickness. I can honestly say I haven’t felt truly well for 3 years, but am sensing a change for the better. Just ride it through if you can. The supplements that help me are, magnesium, vit D and calcium, folic acid, and the occasional sleeping tablet. You are not alone, have no fear of that.

Esspee Fri 28-Feb-20 10:30:47

@Alioop
Your doctor is clearly not up to date and is simply parroting his personal prejudices.

All doctors should be aware of the latest best practice and to make this simple the NHS publishes the NICE guidelines on all subjects medical. Anyone can google “NICE guidelines on the menopause” and read up on the subject.

If you decide to try HRT simply print the guidelines off and take with you (better still make an appointment with another doctor). He has no right to make you suffer. Unless there is a specific medical reason to avoid it HRT has huge benefits.

I have been taking it for 31 years now and will do so for the rest of my life. Yes I’m putting it off, but as I’ll be dead I am not going to lose any sleep about that.

Do not accept pills. Ask for a transdermal method such as patches, gel, or implant. You may have to experiment to find what is best for you but I assure you the relief will be rapid and dramatic.

Good luck.

Alioop Fri 28-Feb-20 17:03:39

Many thanks, I'm on sage, vit D, calcium, cod liver oil, magnesium & of course pain relief. I've had night sweats from I was 47, now 53 so many other symptoms have arrived from start of last yr it knocked me for six and it just gets to you at times. Today was one of those times. Again thanks for chats, does help

SirChenjin Fri 28-Feb-20 17:26:39

I’ve got to come off my HRT and I’m dreading it - I’ve developed some boob and uterine problems which are hormone related so both consultants have suggested I might want to think about coming off it. I don’t know how I’m going to try all the other things like sage, black cohosh etc to see if they help - the thought of not being on it is quite grim sad

Allsaints55 Sat 29-Feb-20 09:46:02

Yes HRT . I’ve been on it for 8 years . I’m 62 this year and feel FAB .Sleep well , energy, no more water infections, no dryness. Slim .no sweats . No aches . They are even saying now it benefits your heart and bones x

Allsaints55 Sat 29-Feb-20 09:49:26

Sir Chen Jin . Sorry I didn’t see your post before I did mine . There are these reasons to be careful and we shouldn’t ignore them either.Obviously if you have to come off HRT we might have the symptoms return .

Ffion63 Sat 29-Feb-20 09:52:20

I sympathise so much. Went through it with every problem imaginable but all symptoms are gone now except for dryness and soreness down below. Look after yourself and have plenty of treats. ?

grandtanteJE65 Sat 29-Feb-20 09:54:50

No, you are not the only one. I was lucky and had an easy time, but that doesn't help you.

Please do go and discuss this with your doctor. A lot can be done to make the menopause easier.

You say you need to rest but can't - which worries me. Try to deal with whatever it is that is preventing you from getting the rest you need.

paddyanne Sat 29-Feb-20 10:02:08

SirChenjin dont come off it ,change it,Different formulas will cause different results,so the one you are takking might be the only one with that issue.Ask to have a referral to the menopause clinic ,mine was brilliant and still is.I see them once a year ,I have things that are contraindications against HRT yet I've been on it years and wnt be coming off it.Finding one to suit is key.Good luck with it,dont just accept what one doctor says ,there is HRT to fit all ,just needs effort and willingness from your GP .

notanan2 Sat 29-Feb-20 10:02:12

My current list: "morning sickness" dry skin (REALLY itchy), very sensitive but not accurate sense of smell (now know why middle aged women douse themselves in strong perfume, I now do it too), sensitive bladder (I am going to have to give up coffee, cant even have nice things sad )

Theyre my newer ones. Added to the horrible periods and constant aches and lack of sleep and rubbish memory and anxiety that have become my "normal"

I would advise a friend to see their GP but for me I have been treated so badly whenever I have needed healthcare for womens health issues that now I dont see the point sad and thats the most depressing part. Im not up for a "fight" for good treatment. Im too tired/emotional for that.

Annaram1 Sat 29-Feb-20 10:04:08

I am 79 and have been on HRT for nearly 20 years. Both my grandmothers and my mother suffered from weak bones and I was told by the doctor to take HRT. I feel fine on it. The once a day pill is really tiny.

Paperbackwriter Sat 29-Feb-20 10:08:49

Esspee - I too am on permanent HRT. I consider it recreational and none the worse for that - hell, why not? My only disagreement with you here is about pills. Some are great - it does depend what suits you. I take Tibolone every other day after trying other ones that weren't so good.
As for male GPs that 'don't like' HRT, Alioop honestly, words (almost) fail me. It's not for them to decide how OUR bodies should or shouldn't be treated. Stuff the patriarchy! Argue your case and go for it. Why shouldn't we feel the best that we can?

Saggi Sat 29-Feb-20 10:11:48

I started my menopause symptoms the same time my husband had his stroke ....all attention was on him and nobody noticed the 10 years of miserableness that was my life! Still haven’t recovered any sort of sleep pattern...and lucky to get 3 to 4 hours most nights! Thing is.... his stroke was 24 years ago and all I’ve done in all that time is ‘See to him’. I sometimes wonder when anyone is gonna ‘see to me’..... good luck with your symptoms... I hope you get/demand more help and appreciation. We all deserve a little of that.

Ashcombe Sat 29-Feb-20 10:12:10

I really feel for those who don’t have sympathetic responses from their GP's regarding menopausal symptoms. I began taking HRT when I was 50, reducing the dose after 10 years and, after negotiating with my (female) GP, I now take a low dose on alternate days. It’s just enough to keep me on an even keel but the vaginal dryness is an issue so my GP prescribed Ovestin, a hormone cream inserted twice a week, using a plunger. Since I remarried in 2015, KY has also been my friend! I shall be 70 in May.

Saggi Sat 29-Feb-20 10:13:05

....oh , and no HRT for me as I’d already had two strokes, in my 30’s and 40’s.....

Patticake123 Sat 29-Feb-20 10:22:19

I started drinking decaf tea and coffee ( do it gradually to avoid horrendous headaches) and I cut down on alcohol. This definitely helped me. Also, I grew sage in the garden and made sage tea - soak the leaves in boiling water, strain and drink - it didn’t taste very nice but again, it worked. You will get through this and when you are through the other side, you’ll be great. Think positive!

Angeleyes58xx Sat 29-Feb-20 10:23:22

Welshgirl21 if you need anyone to talk too please contact me, I’ve been through the menopause I’m now 62,