Gransnet forums

Menopause

Post menopausal, 61, on Tibolone, no libido, who best to talk through feeling miserable?

(9 Posts)
Corryanna Mon 10-May-21 15:47:41

Hi, I'm a returner (gosh, makes me sound like I'm an inmate of HMP!) and think Gransnet the best place to talk this over. Most of the afternoon I've been reading over most topics on here. I want to be "normal" again - enjoy life and looking forward to things, I don't want a lot but to make the most of a well-earned retirement, with some spare cash to spend on nice clothes and make-up now I've the time to spend on "me". Does anyone else feel like this too?

DiscoDancer1975 Mon 10-May-21 16:02:55

I’m the same age as you. Through my menopause too. I use estriol cream as a local HRT. Nothing else. Feel battered by menopause, but now starting to feel better. I think that’s most likely because I’ve started exercising again....mainly swimming.

Are you on your own, or do you have a partner / husband? I would think we all feel like you to some degree. I don’t want to do anything much until after my second jab in a few weeks time.

I think the trick is to just relax and things will happen naturally. Sorry I can’t be more positive for you. It’s still a waiting game for the moment..

Corryanna Mon 10-May-21 16:51:58

DiscoDancer, thank you for your reply. I have a husband (of 38 years) and I'm going to try to get him to watch Davina's film/documentary on Wed.
He's ok (to a certain extent!) but pays lip service to any meno info I have asked him to read. He thought hot flushes and no more periods were the menopause and that would last 1-2 years, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

To wait for 2nd vaccination before doing something for ME is a good plan. The last 20 months have been the hardest of our marriage and I'm definitely going to be more independent once it's safe to do so. We have gone from 2 cars to 1 and I miss mine, but there's always the bus (free now!)
Thanks again x

Soozikinzi Mon 10-May-21 17:01:47

Maybe get yourself a little runaround if you’re missing your car so much f doesn’t have to be expensive? What are your symptoms exactly? If you don’t mind using the telephone you can get a counsellor , just search on google and loads will come up . You just read their profile and choose the most appropriate for your needs . I found one for my husband that way , very successfully . Hope you get everything sorted ASAP. The covid nightmare does seem to be coming to an end now so keep strong.

Shelmiss Mon 10-May-21 17:56:21

Hi Corryanna

I’m also post menopausal and on tibolone, I have been on it for approx 6 years, I’m 58. I’m trying to wean myself off it now, just to see what happens. I’ve reduced the dosage to 75% for the past 2 months and I’m going to do the next 2 months on 50%, then see what happens, how I feel etc.

I don’t know anyone else on tibolone - how long have you been on it?

Redhead56 Mon 10-May-21 18:05:49

You will pick up don't give yourself too much pressure. My friend's husband decided one car was a good idea it wasn't. She feels as if she rushing back for him or taking him everywhere she goes. I would not put up with it not while I am in my sixties still love shopping etc. Be kind to yourself it will get better ?

DiscoDancer1975 Mon 10-May-21 19:52:56

Corryanna

DiscoDancer, thank you for your reply. I have a husband (of 38 years) and I'm going to try to get him to watch Davina's film/documentary on Wed.
He's ok (to a certain extent!) but pays lip service to any meno info I have asked him to read. He thought hot flushes and no more periods were the menopause and that would last 1-2 years, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

To wait for 2nd vaccination before doing something for ME is a good plan. The last 20 months have been the hardest of our marriage and I'm definitely going to be more independent once it's safe to do so. We have gone from 2 cars to 1 and I miss mine, but there's always the bus (free now!)
Thanks again x

Hi again Corryanna. To be honest, I thought the same as your husband before I started menopause! No periods...a few hot flushes, but oh no?, as we know it’s so much more than that. To call it ‘ the change’, is an understatement! My husband rolls his eyes too, when the ‘ M’ word is mentioned, as do my children. However, I just wanted my daughters and DIL’s to know, and to understand that I’m not always going to be bouncy and energetic, and to have some inkling of what it’s all about. I know I could probably have had a much better relationship with my mum and MIL, had I have known more about menopause. I know no one probably did then.

As you don’t have your car...could you walk, or cycle? This is what we did, and felt better for it. Buses and taxis are still there for days when it’s bad weather. Lucky you that the bus is free. You must be in London or Wales. Is that right? We can’t get a bus pass until we’re 65.....typical!

My advice...do what we may have done, go for bus rides, and see as much as you can, perhaps before they take it away from you too?.

Take care, and here’s hoping you soon feel invigorated again.

Puzzled Sun 06-Jun-21 08:28:27

At the risk of upsetting sensitive folk, regular (frequent?) sex, with plenty of lube, may help.
Reputedly, it produces small amounts of oestrogen, which ought to reduce the effects of the menopause, slightly.
It is certainly good for you mentally and physically, as well as reinforcing the pair bond.
If it makes you feel more feminine and attractive, that is good.

According to various university studies, it also delays the onset of Alzheimers, the pleasure chemicals, Oxytocin and Dopamine prevent the plaques and tangles sticking to the brain cells.

Newbarnowl Sat 25-Sep-21 12:55:27

hello , I'm new here so not to sure if this forum is still active ( I have just posted on the menopause forum ) I have had an awful time since my ovaries were removed and now use oestrogen and utrogestan , I have been suffering with anxiety since the operation and wondering if tiboline would be better . any advice gratefully received .