Gransnet forums

Menopause

ovaries removed

(5 Posts)
Newbarnowl Sat 25-Sep-21 12:34:42

hello, I had my ovaries removed a couple of years ago ( I was post menopausal ) a few weeks after I suffered from the most crippling anxiety and fear , joint aches 6 weeks later , had a big ( unintentional ) weight loss and basically felt dreadful , much worse than normal menopause, a couple years on and on hrt but feel like I lost myself completely Has anyone else experienced this . Positive and pre menopausal experiences also welcome . Thankyou .

Newbarnowl Sat 25-Sep-21 13:01:11

.... just to add I would like to hear from any ladies who have had their ovaries removed ...

Barmeyoldbat Sat 25-Sep-21 14:03:43

Had my removed 4 years ago, I had already been through the menopause when I 53, now 73. Never had any problems after the removal but I will say I lost weight going through the menopause and even lost a bit more during lockdown. I would say get a checkup to stop you worrying.

Kate51 Sat 25-Sep-21 14:23:03

I had to have my ovaries removed a few years ago, was 45 and not menopausal before. Quite a shock to the system. Was put on HRT for a few years then recommended I stop. I didn't lose weight, the opposite, gained and struggled since. Also suffer from anxiety even now though it has improved over the years. As mine were removed after a cancer diagnosis I had no choice and happy to be here but it definitely had a huge impact. Wishing you well.

Newbarnowl Sat 25-Sep-21 23:59:38

Thankyou for your reply Barmyoldbat , so pleased to hear that you didn't have any problems after your ovaries were removed .I hope you don't mind if I ask if you take hrt ?

Thankyou too Kate51 and sorry to hear you had cancer and have had struggles since , especially with anxiety , I find I cannot cope with stress as well as I used to . I'm assuming you don't take hrt now but did it help when you did ?
I had my ovaries removed after going to a & e with a twisted ovary but regret agreeing to having the healthy one out given the problems I've had since.
It's really helpful hearing other people's stories so thankyou again for your replies.