Gransnet forums

News & politics

Wandsworth prison

(9 Posts)
jangly Fri 12-Aug-11 09:27:49

I thought they'd sorted the prisons out.

This is diabolical www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14470017

Lack of protection from bullying. Left in cells for up to 22 hours a day.

etc. etc.

Can't be good.

jangly Fri 12-Aug-11 09:47:27

And I bet this doesn't get any replies.

Cos you all don't give a proverbial.

pompa Fri 12-Aug-11 09:50:08

They should move all the inmates to other prisons - then use it for rioters. angry

absentgrana Fri 12-Aug-11 09:55:14

Nonsense jangly. Of course it's wrong that these problems exist. Imprisonment seems to have returned to being just punitive, and rehabilitation has gone out the window. Prisoners should have useful things to do, not just to occupy their time and prevent boredom, which can lead to riots and disturbances, but also to teach about the working life that is the norm for the majority of the population. Illiteracy and innumeracy – problems for a sickeningly high proportion of offenders – should be seriously addressed. Prisoners should be safe – the prison service has a duty of care. No matter how hideous the crime for which someone is convicted, society has a responsibility for their welfare and society should not take its moral compass from the offender.

jangly Fri 12-Aug-11 10:05:00

Whisper ... sorry absent

grannyactivist Fri 12-Aug-11 12:49:28

jangly I wrote a very long reply to this, along the lines of what absent put, but then my pooter crashed and I've only just got back online. Do care!

susiecb Fri 12-Aug-11 15:49:02

Youre right it is hard to have sympathy with criminals who murder and terrorise society but our prisons are full of people with mental health problems who are not receiving the proper care so this has to be wrong. I do care about that.

Jacey Fri 12-Aug-11 16:07:02

Can someone tell me please ...who said/wrote ...'let the punishment fit the crime'? ...I'm just curious as the idea might work with community service ...especially with what has gone on this past week. (hasten to add not thinking about the deaths in this context)

absentgrana Fri 12-Aug-11 16:11:49

Jacey The Mikado in Gilbert and Sullivan's The Mikado sings something along the lines of:

My object all sublime,
I shall achieve in time,
To make the punishment fit the crime,
The punishment fit the crime.

To make each prisoner pent
Unwillingly represent
A source of innocent merriment
Of innocent merriment.

Not I think an enlightened view. grin