Gransnet forums

News & politics

Wandsworth (again)

(7 Posts)
jangly Sat 13-Aug-11 09:27:48

What's up with this council?!

Whilst I was enjoying my usual mild insomnia, listening to the World prog in the night, they had a bloke (well councillor) on from there, sounding so proud of himself.

Because they were intending to throw a woman and her son out of their council flat onto the streets! The boy (the boy, mark - not the mother!) was a rioter.

Its like saying to the boy, "the only way you're gonna survive from now on is to burgle a few houses/mug a few people every now and then, and we are going to see to it that you really hate society, just to make sure you completely dedicate yourself to your future life of crime.

Smug git!

Baggy Sat 13-Aug-11 09:32:14

What can you expect from "spotlessly clean" [sarc emoticon] councils?

absentgrana Sat 13-Aug-11 10:52:58

Joined up government? hmm

susiecb Sat 13-Aug-11 11:21:01

I understood they were scheduled for eviction before the riot according to the radio this morning.

Baggy Sat 13-Aug-11 11:27:40

"Scheduled for eviction". Nice thing to have hanging over you. I think I might get a bit negative about society in those circumstances.

I don't know what they've done to be on the "schedule for eviction", but how is throwing losers onto the street going to help anything?

Could somebody explain? I'm sure someone will tell me I'm being stupid, so let's take that as read, shall we, and just address the issue of homeless people?

Jacey Sat 13-Aug-11 18:01:55

Baggy I'm not sure what I think about this ...apart from it was something Cameron stated would happen.

Councils can evict tenants ...I think for a variety of reasons ...but few make the effort ...even to help those living as neighbours whose lives have been made a misery. However ...one news account that I read earlier today was talking about their mis-use of benefits ...that they could rent 'privately'.

Who knows! But ...it didn't seem to be a case of 'out on the street' or 'homeless'.

No doubt tomorrow's papers ...of a "certain persuassion", will be full of it ...but then why should we believe what papers print?

glammanana Sat 13-Aug-11 18:11:37

Surely the local council have a duty of care to the family with them having
school age children,putting them out of their home is only going to make the
situation worse I would think,and in no way am I condoning what the child has been accussed of,but it could ignite bad feeling all over again IMO.