Gransnet forums

News & politics

Foodbanks

(11 Posts)
glammanana Mon 22-Aug-11 22:07:59

Charitie's do that here at the local Asda at xmas time for the people who stay at the shelter for the holiday period,they also put a basket out for the dog's home and guess which gets filled up first.(nb.I do love dog's by the way)

Notsogrand Mon 22-Aug-11 11:40:14

We have a local foodbank too. A couple of times a year the organisers 'collect' at our local Waitrose, and in each trolley and basket is a printed list of suitable items to purchase and hand to the collectors on your way out. Mostly tins and dried goods.
It's sad that there is a need for foodbanks, but a hungry child or elderly person is even sadder.

harrigran Mon 22-Aug-11 11:09:33

Sad state of affairs, having to give vouchers instead of money but we have to be realistic, there are people who would let their children go hungry so they can have their next fix sad

jangly Sun 21-Aug-11 18:46:28

www.suttonfoodbank.org.uk/

They are everywhere

jangly Sun 21-Aug-11 18:44:28

Its a bit of an eye opener tbh.

jangly Sun 21-Aug-11 18:43:41

I just googled foodbanks. I never knew they existed.

Its sad they are needed, but so good they are there.

greenmossgiel Sun 21-Aug-11 17:54:26

Gillt, I agree with you. The government perhaps should give the money in voucher form. One worry there, may be that even the vouchers may be misappropriated. I would feel humiliated, too. It's even worse, when you think that the people who have to rely on this form of support may have known nothing other than this. With what little we have we can support our families in times of need. When some people have 'nothing', there really is nothing. Not even a family who may be able to offer any means of support at all. Because 'family' is falling away in many cases.

Gillt Sun 21-Aug-11 17:34:42

I fully take this on board but it still feels patronizing and I would rather that it was the government that was giving part of the benefit in food vouchers fopr use in local shops. Charities are very well meaning but it does smack of Victorian times and I would feel humiliated in that situation but of course one has to protect the children. I guess I am just very unhappy about the way we seem to be going, it feels like the erosion of the welfare state.

greenmossgiel Sun 21-Aug-11 13:24:47

glammanana - That's grim indeed. Your heart goes out to these families. What chance do their children have? sad

glammanana Sun 21-Aug-11 13:00:32

Gillt This past week i have spoken to a lady who work's for a charity where voucher's are distributed to people who can use them for basic food stuff's at a well known Supermarket,these voucher's are given to familie's where the main earner/claimant is not forthcoming with the monie's they are paid using them instead for drinking/drug's/gambling etc,the charity then know's that the family has enough of the basic food stuff's to survive,it is a very sad state of affair's but something which is common in some familie's unfortunatley.

Gillt Sat 20-Aug-11 17:08:12

I have probably got this name slightly wrong, however they were talking on the radio this morning about the above operating in Cornwall, Liverpool etc and saying the some supplies were getting low and I found myself feeling uncomfortable about this. The idea of charities providing food for the poor somehow feels patronizing....I much prefer the benefits being sufficient for people to sustain themselves rather than handouts by the goodhearted bountiful! Am I being supercritical, or missing the point but personally if I were in their position I would feel humiliated!