Gransnet forums

News & politics

What do you think about President Obama....

(8 Posts)
jinglejangle Sat 01-Oct-11 12:06:52

taking out all the baddies one by one with the old scud missiles?

I think 2% of me says - execution without trial!

The 98% says yeah! Get the buggers.

jinglejangle Sat 01-Oct-11 12:07:37

I thought that swear word would come out disguised! Sorry! shock

jinglejangle Sat 01-Oct-11 12:09:25

No! Its "drones" they're using isn't it. Not scuds. confused

em Sat 01-Oct-11 12:22:33

Will just opt out of this one meantime while you argue it out with yourself.

jinglejangle Sat 01-Oct-11 12:33:19

Oh em!

Joan Sun 02-Oct-11 02:09:53

I'm with jinglejangle. I don't agree with the death penalty, but these disgusting creatures would cause many more deaths if they were in prison, through their supporters committing kidnappings and other atrocities to get them released. Also, soldiers would probably die trying to apprehend them.

The normal rules of human behaviour do not apply to these creatures. They are quite happy to kill innocent people - in fact their targets are usually innocent civilians. I regard them as having opted out of the human race.

jinglejangle Sun 02-Oct-11 09:56:08

I just thought - well, at five o'clock tghis morning actually - if Churchill had had one of those drones, the whole of WW2 could well have been avoided. Just could have taken out Hitler.

Something to be said for modern tech perhaps.

absentgrana Sun 02-Oct-11 10:46:16

Quite apart from moral and ethical issues, responding to violence with violence creates an ever-increasing vicious spiral of violence that is counter-productive. Sending drones into a sovereign country that is supposed to be an ally is also unwise and likely to cause further trouble down the line. More than anything, these actions, I suspect, are designed to placate the more vociferous among the American people – there is a presidential election coming up.