Gransnet forums

News & politics

'English' diet will save those in Scotland, Wales and N Ireland

(24 Posts)
bagitha Thu 03-Nov-11 17:12:21

Mmm. I did. Yes, you're missing something, charlotta wink. Don't take that the wrong way! I don't actually think it was deep fried, just fried with a thin coating of soft batter, a scoop of chocolate ice-cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce, and it was in central Glasgow, and it was delicious, and that was a surprise, especially as I'm not really a pudding person. And the friend I shared it with is also healthy (because she eats healthily, as I do) and not in the least bit overweight, and neither am I. We just felt we had some myth-busting to do so we did it. Great fun! grin

Annobel Thu 03-Nov-11 16:49:08

Deep fried Mars Bars? I seem to remember Bagitha waxing lyrical about them on another, earlier thread. grin.

jingle Thu 03-Nov-11 15:39:17

Dunno how that happened. Computer got life of its own!

Wpuld add - not deep fried though. Eeurgh!

jingle Thu 03-Nov-11 15:38:22

Ooooh yes Charlotta!!! Mmmmmm!

Sigh....... (because the best things make you fat)

susiecb Thu 03-Nov-11 15:12:18

ooo now egg and chips I do like if they are big fat home made chips - for a big fat home made me. No no I am on slimming world diet and trying hard to get to Xmas- the food I can do the drink is harder.

glammanana Thu 03-Nov-11 14:09:24

susiecb you left out my favourite :
egg and chip's grin

Charlotta Thu 03-Nov-11 13:52:56

I never eat a Mars bar not even a deep fried one. Am I missing something here?

bagitha Thu 03-Nov-11 12:48:33

Better follow the snorting with a proper comment, I suppose! carol has said it already: if they compared like with like, I don't suppose there's be a statistically (or otherwise) significant difference between English people on poor diets and non-English people (or at least people not living in England) on poor diets.

Am I alone in thinking there has been a bit of an increase in xenophobic remarks in the media lately?

bagitha Thu 03-Nov-11 12:44:02

Rubbish from Auntie Beeb? Surely not! [HUGE sarc emoticon]

Carol Thu 03-Nov-11 12:03:31

Thanks Annobel. I never buy Mars Bars, but every time I see deep fried ones mentioned, my curiosity is aroused x

Annobel Thu 03-Nov-11 11:56:44

carol grin. If I see any deep fried Mars Bars in our area - I think we must live quite near each other - I will let you know right away. But don't get your hopes up...

Jacey Thu 03-Nov-11 11:43:49

How did you manage that 'double-helping' em??

jingle Thu 03-Nov-11 11:42:26

em grin

em Thu 03-Nov-11 11:42:16

Ooops, sorry! Blame a temperamental lap top! Sorry to disappoint Carol but I have never had a deep-fried Mars bar and haven't a clue where to buy one.

em Thu 03-Nov-11 11:40:18

See susieB's comment jinglej! I am aware of a thread which offers wonderful support for grans who are trying to lose weight and as far as I can see it isn't overwhelmed by the Scots among us. However you may choose to interpret that as proof that we are all overweight and just don't care. Strange concept, isn't it, that virtually everything changes for better or worse, at the border?

Carol Thu 03-Nov-11 11:39:38

I have never had a deep fried Mars bar, but would love to. Does anyone know where I can get one in the Greater Manchester/Cheshire area?

em Thu 03-Nov-11 11:39:11

See susieB's comment jinglej! I am aware of a thread which offers wonderful support for grans who are trying to lose weight and as far as I can see it isn't overwhelmed by the Scots among us. However you may choose to interpret that as proof that we are all overweight and just don't care. Strange concept, isn't it, that virtually everything changes for better or worse, at the border?

GoldenGran Thu 03-Nov-11 11:34:45

What a load of rubbish,we are a pretty unhealthy lot all over Britain, where do they get these statistics from. It's enough to make you reach for a deep fried mars bar! (previosly mentioned on another thread)

Carol Thu 03-Nov-11 11:13:08

Sweeping generalisations as usual. No comments about class, level of affluence in certain pockets of England and so on........ If they compared some deprived areas in England with the rest of the UK, my guess is the stats would be similar.

susiecb Thu 03-Nov-11 11:04:00

So lets see what have we got thats so healthy
fish and chips
pie and chips
scampi and chips
steak and chips
kebab and chips
fried chicken and chips
sausage and chips

and of course we dont have obesity or heart disease and diabetes in England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Annobel Thu 03-Nov-11 11:00:52

Leave me out of it. I haven't lived in Scotland since 1965. And in any case, I think my sister who does live there has at least as healthy a diet as I do.

jingle Thu 03-Nov-11 10:32:00

Let's see now. Em, Annobel, supernana, *Bagitha (sort of scotch). Look forward to your comments. smile (Not forgetting the Welsh grannies!)

Me, I agree with it. Definitely. grin

rosiemus Thu 03-Nov-11 10:12:09

Oh sorry - forgot to do the thing to the link which makes you able to click on it www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15561501

rosiemus Thu 03-Nov-11 10:11:34

Did anyone else see this story today? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15561501

I agree that eating healthily is wise - but am sure they could have phrased this a little more tactfully. My sister in Scotland is not happy!