Gransnet forums

News & politics

£17m village for people with dementia

(9 Posts)
susiecb Wed 01-Feb-12 07:55:58

Sounds like an episode of The Prisoner.smile

Annika Tue 31-Jan-12 22:38:43

If we I start saving now , by the time we I have saved enough would we I remember what we I was saving for plus would we I remember to pay the £4,000 each month.
Joking aside is it the right way to go about things, I suppose if everyones happy is it so wrong

gracesmum Tue 31-Jan-12 22:30:46

To keep them/us in with guard doggies and watch towers - OR to keep the rest of the world out because they want to be in on the fun we are having?smile

Butternut Tue 31-Jan-12 18:00:08

Presumably it's a gated community? grin

jeni Tue 31-Jan-12 17:21:47

Sounds like home from home!

Annobel Tue 31-Jan-12 16:30:18

Better start saving now... grin

gracesmum Tue 31-Jan-12 15:34:43

I often "offload " my problems to my hairdresser - perhaps she is an undercover nurse/carer?
I think it sounds like a jolly good idea - we could have a GN one with fit young handymen and gardeners and BIG signs above each house saying "YOU LIVE HERE" Anybody up for it? grin
As for living in a world "they think is normal but is anything but" - that sounds familiar?

Elegran Tue 31-Jan-12 15:30:20

Bear in mind that this is the Mail. May not be 100% accurate.

rosiemus Tue 31-Jan-12 15:01:01

I must admit that I checked to make sure it wasn't April 1st when I started reading this story in the Mail today www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2094155/Dementiaville--17m-village-Switzerland-sufferers-fake-reality.html

It seems that the Swiss have spent £17 million on a village for dementia sufferers where carers are disguised as hairdressers and gardeners. I quote "residents pay £4,000 monthly to live in a world they think is normal but is anything but"

While I am all for improvements in care of mental health patients am I alone in finding this bizarre at best?