Gransnet forums

News & politics

Republican candidate wears magic underpants

(28 Posts)
carboncareful Wed 01-Feb-12 14:41:37

Looks like Mitt Romney may be Republican candidate for president of the USA.
You may be aware that he is a Mormon.
But how many know that Mormons are expected to wear magic underpants? With symbols in various strategic places and rules about not taking them off.......
Think about it. The most powerful man on Earth (or rather the man who most Americans think is the most powerful including himself) wearing magic underpants to protect himself. Against what? Non-believers?
Look it up on Google if you don't believe me. (I googled "Mormon underpants Romney")

absentgrana Wed 01-Feb-12 16:17:23

I knew about magic underpants as many years ago a work colleague seduced a Mormon missionary (or whatever they call themselves). He was mortified – she dined out on the story. Not perhaps the kindest thing she ever did – but she was very funny.

Jacey Wed 01-Feb-12 16:27:22

You think the womanising amphibian is better? confused

Don't you think that both these candidates tell us a lot about the American mentality?? shock

I would have said 'psyche' ...only I'm not sure how to spell it! blush

MrsJamJam Wed 01-Feb-12 16:27:29

Am off to Google - must find out the details!

JessM Wed 01-Feb-12 16:59:36

Siks too wear special underpants I believe.

jeni Wed 01-Feb-12 17:08:50

Correct. And Jews wear tasselled shawls. Freemasons wear pinnies but never offer to help with washing up!smile

Seventimesfive Wed 01-Feb-12 19:28:42

jeni! smile

Joan Thu 02-Feb-12 01:54:12

Apparently the founder of the Mormons, Joe Smith was a pinny-wearing mason, and masonic symbols are on the magic knickers and vests.

It is a dafter religion than most, and I particularly dislike their recent history of racism against blacks, their sexual repression, and their anti-gay ideas, but if Romney were to be elected president it would be a huge boost to their worldwide recruitment drive through missionaries.

Long live Obama!

susiecb Thu 02-Feb-12 10:21:49

Lets hope whatever under[pants he wears he keeps them on when they should be on!

whatisamashedupphrase Thu 02-Feb-12 10:26:19

Ooh no, Susie. Let's have a bit of spice. smile

carboncareful Thu 02-Feb-12 18:22:26

Just had an email from sis saying....and we Brits thought John Major tucking his shirt into his underpants was odd.

sussexpoet Fri 03-Feb-12 17:02:16

I am informed by a friend who has researched the Mormons that Mormon men wear a onepiece undergarment which actually has to be completely removed as it doesn't unfasten at the crotch, thereby making undressing a very slow process - therefore illicit sex-let alone urination- is very difficult to achieve. By the time the bloke gets his knicks off, the woman will have died of boredom or gone home!

snailspeak Fri 03-Feb-12 17:16:20

Google <<Mormon Undergarments>>. Complete explanation and, better still, photos!

bagitha Sat 04-Feb-12 08:45:23

There's a pic of Romney holding a baby (who is wearing a hat and a 'Romney' head band) in the Beeb week in pics (the penultimate pic when I looked). Suggestions on postcards, please, as to what the baby would be saying if it could talk.

My guess is "WTF!" Just look at the expression!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-16831662

gracesmum Sat 04-Feb-12 08:49:57

Could politicians just get the sort that remain firmly buttoned up please? Mormon underwear sounds a good place to start.

carboncareful Sun 05-Feb-12 13:02:15

David Beckham's underpants (designed by himself!) look far superior (saw them on Johnathan Ross last night - also available from H & M £9.99)

jeni Sun 05-Feb-12 13:41:30

baggy
I'm shocked! Such language!

Jacey Sun 05-Feb-12 14:05:49

OK ...in a moment of boredom I Googled this ...obviously typical USA tabloid press seeking sensationalism.shock

I had to wonder how much the amphibian's backers are paying to keep this sort of 'issue' to the fore-front of the election? hmm

But then USA politics is all about money ...those who have it being determined to keep it, never about social issues. It's a shame that our politics is following down the same path ...but perhaps it has always been the same.confused

JessM Sun 05-Feb-12 14:18:09

It is a great photo isn't it, the one of the bemused looking baby...
"Not sure I want this guy to send me into space - where's that boobie gone?"

bagitha Sun 05-Feb-12 15:00:46

Of course you're shocked, jeni. Who wouldn't be when a baby says that?

carboncareful Mon 06-Feb-12 10:40:25

Correction: David Beckham's underpants are only £7.99 (without him in them presumably!)

Annobel Mon 06-Feb-12 10:55:40

carbon. You saw them on Jonathan Ross! Did he do a strip to show them off?

carboncareful Mon 06-Feb-12 11:21:27

No, but Johnathan did !!! You might know.

JessM Mon 06-Feb-12 13:15:13

Mmm let me think about that. If a man has to strip to his underpants on TV, would we rather Becks or Ross...?

effblinder Mon 06-Feb-12 13:36:13

I watched Beckham on Jonathan Ross t'other night too. He may not have that many brain cells but the whole family man thing really set me off - what a gent! My other half was even impressed (not necessarily for the underpants though... grin)