Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is it time for the Big Yin to retire?

(24 Posts)
supernana Sat 04-Feb-12 13:04:12

kittylester grin grin grin

Carol Fri 03-Feb-12 16:41:55

Yum te tum te tum te tum, yum te tum te tum tum! Love it!!

Yummygran Fri 03-Feb-12 16:41:40

I've loved watching Billy on TV over the years, unfortunately we never got to see him live. His travel programmes were brilliant as was his stand-up and it would be so sad if he retired. I agree, it's not like the 'old' Billy to be fazed by hecklers. Maybe he's just had enough and feels it better to retire and make way for the young blood on TV these days, personally I don't think they are a patch on Billy.

Annika Fri 03-Feb-12 16:36:50

The Archers", tune which Billy Connolly suggested as an alternative to the national anthem is very funny. Every time I hear the Archers tune I can see him marching up and down grin

Carol Fri 03-Feb-12 16:34:04

I've enjoyed Billy Connolly in waves over the years. I loved his travel programmes, and the journey around Australia was fabulous. At one of his shows, the tale he told about the incontinence pants that you can tie around your ankles to keep all the pee in when you go out dancing for the evening was hilarious.

The biography that his wife wrote about him - 'Billy' - was really good - poignant in parts. I wonder why he didn't make mincemeat of the hecklers - it's not like him to pass up an opportunity like that.

bagitha Fri 03-Feb-12 16:27:14

I think my favourite BC story is the one he told about a women's gymnastics judge who knocked points off a gymnast's score because her "foot moved" when she landed at the end of her assymetric bars exercise. Anyone remember that?

goldengirl Fri 03-Feb-12 16:20:07

Apparently going to the bar / loo is quite commonplace these days. I suppose it's meant to engender the club atmosphere. For me it's great because I need the loo quite frequently but I can understand that it can be a distraction for others. As far as BC is concerned surely he would have known the type of venue he was playing in and adjust his act accordingly. If he expected everyone sitting in rows then no wonder he was fed up. Heckling is bad manners as far as I'm concerned and spoils the act for others Anyway give me John Bishop and Jack Dee any day.

greenmossgiel Fri 03-Feb-12 16:11:56

I think he's very funny! I've just read the link that Bagitha posted, and agree with the comments about the rudeness of people leaving their seats during the show to go to the bar. We went to a Fureys concert a few years ago, and our enjoyment was spoiled by people wandering about back and forth to the bar. Really disrespectful to the performer, too.
When Billy Connolly had his first band, The Humblebums, my husband, who I hadn't met then (unfortunately!) used to join in the local 'folk music circuit'. Billy and the rest of them played their music in my mother-in-law's back garden - I would imagine Gerry Rafferty would have been part of the crowd at that time too! envy

em Fri 03-Feb-12 14:56:56

First time I saw him was 1971 in the Students' Union in Dundee and I've always found him funny. My mother used to complain that he might be funny but ruined his act by using unnecessary bad language!

crimson Fri 03-Feb-12 14:44:50

It was Parky who made him famous if I remember right.

kittylester Fri 03-Feb-12 14:43:17

It was GoldenGran in late 1970 or very early 1971. My husband was out but I tried to recount it when he came home. I am hopeless at telling jokes but even more so when I can't stop laughing.

GoldenGran Fri 03-Feb-12 14:33:51

That's the first one I remember too. was it on The Parkinson show?

kittylester Fri 03-Feb-12 14:18:17

The first time I saw Billy Connolly on TV he told the joke about a man who, having killed his nagging wife, buried her with just her bottom exposed, so he had somewhere to park his bike! grin

I'm giggling now just thinking about it

crimson Fri 03-Feb-12 14:12:54

Never forget someone playing an lp of his show many years ago; so ahead of his time. Nearly bought tickets for his show recently [the S.O. enjoys watching his recent travel series on the telly], but someone told me how disappointed they were when they went to see him [tickets far from cheap as well]. Going to see Omid instead; caught one of his shows late one night on the box..hope he's as funny when we see him. A problem I have with Billy Connely is that he tends to laugh at what he says; Lenny Henry does the same. I prefer someone like Jack Dee. Saw Dylan Noran a while back, and he wasn't funny either.

GoldenGran Fri 03-Feb-12 14:09:14

I thought he was man enough to tolerate both kitty

supernana Fri 03-Feb-12 14:07:13

kitty That made me laff!

GoldenGran Fri 03-Feb-12 14:06:59

OK maybe there IS something wrong with the brain! It should read "he should call it a day"

kittylester Fri 03-Feb-12 14:05:51

Now, which is worse -being heckled on stage or being married to Pamela Stephenson? hmm

GoldenGran Fri 03-Feb-12 13:52:23

I think maybe she knows he should call it again, and that is why he reacted like that, the Old Billy Connolly would have given as good as he got. It's a shame, I went to one of his shows once and I ached with laughter and was praying for the interval for a bit of a relief. I think at his best he was the funniest man of our time.

absentgrana Fri 03-Feb-12 13:42:06

Verbal abuse is nasty, but I should have thought he would have had a way of coming back at hecklers as they seem to be standard for stand-ups. I don't think he's half so funny now as he used to be so maybe he should call it a day.

jeni Fri 03-Feb-12 13:38:53

Oh I quite like him.

bagitha Fri 03-Feb-12 13:32:29

Billy Connolly

jeni Fri 03-Feb-12 13:22:09

Who please is the big yin?

bagitha Fri 03-Feb-12 13:15:48

Or do you sympathise with his leaving the stage because of verbal abuse?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16870595