Gransnet forums

News & politics

I just had a look, over at Mumsnet.

(17 Posts)
wotsamashedupjingl Fri 09-Mar-12 10:32:28

Have gransnetters watched this video? here

JessM Fri 09-Mar-12 10:44:03

jings if you gave us a clue about what we were going to see it would help. Is it something disgusting, something cute something sad or wot?
Thread topic a complete mystery.

wotsamashedupjingl Fri 09-Mar-12 11:15:35

Oh sorry. If you click it becomes clear, without committing you to watching it.

It's about Uganda and the children being abducted and forced to become child soldiers, sometimes killing their own parents and committing dreadful atrocities. The girls are forced to become sex slaves.

There is a campaign called Invisible Children.

wotsamashedupjingl Fri 09-Mar-12 11:17:24

I just wondered what people thought of it. About the video itself, and how is the best way to help.

glassortwo Fri 09-Mar-12 11:20:27

jingle I am 5 mins into it but the broadband is not playing so at this rate it will take all morning so I will leave it to download and go back to it later.

wotsamashedupjingl Fri 09-Mar-12 11:24:53

I know Glass. It is a long video, too. Probably easier to find the thread on MN. (I suppose I shouldn't say that!)

Annobel Fri 09-Mar-12 11:29:14

Thanks, jingl. I took the risk of watching it and was very moved that at last someone is taking note of the atrocities committed in Uganda by the 'Lord's Resistance Army'. I hope the campaign spreads to UK.

Annobel Fri 09-Mar-12 11:30:41

Oh and I've put the link on my FB page.

glassortwo Fri 09-Mar-12 14:31:27

I have watched it and was very moved by the scenes shown.

But its difficult to know which way to try to help, I have a friend who comes from one of the African states and she is always telling me to be careful where you send any donations as it very rarely helps they people who need it. sad

kittylester Fri 09-Mar-12 19:46:56

My niece posted it on FB - so watched it earlier. Not easy to see!

wotsamashedupjingl Fri 09-Mar-12 22:35:37

I guess UNICEF are the best people to support. Although on the MN thread someone said not everything they do is always for the best. It is hard to know how to help.

I've been hearing about these poor children for ages now, on the World Service when I get a bad night. sad

Carol Fri 09-Mar-12 22:41:43

Yes, I've seen it - it's being shared on Facebook - linked to YouTube. Tragic for these young children.

glassortwo Fri 09-Mar-12 22:42:23

jingle I would never sleep listening to those harrowing stories in the middle of the night.

wotsamashedupjingl Fri 09-Mar-12 22:57:46

I know. Sometimes it seems to go from one awful story to another. I have to switch off sometimes.

glassortwo Fri 09-Mar-12 23:05:04

Get some listening books they will lull you over, and you can have ear phones in.

glassortwo Fri 09-Mar-12 23:07:02

If your anything like me you will have to keep replaying the same chapter over again and again grin

glassortwo Fri 09-Mar-12 23:14:37

Well thats me off to bed, night x