Gransnet forums

News & politics

We should think of Jo at the ballot box

(288 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Sat 18-Jun-16 08:00:23

Stephen Kinnock was a good friend of Jo Cox. He has written an article in my paper about the closeness of their families. I have no problem with most of what he has written apart from the instruction that we must think of her when we vote!
I am appalled by what has happened to her and feel great sympathy for her family but
I fail to see that her death has anything to do with the way I vote!
Am I wrong To feel that this appeal is rather distasteful?

durhamjen Tue 21-Jun-16 23:04:19

Well said, Elrel.
Did anyone notice that the referendum debate was checked by fullfact. Trusted by the BBC.

Tegan Tue 21-Jun-16 22:16:09

sad....

Elrel Tue 21-Jun-16 21:38:31

Sow Farage's rhetoric, reap Britain First.

Alea Tue 21-Jun-16 19:08:39

Actually I posted it even before Whitewave, and yes, I did watch it all the way through..

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 21-Jun-16 18:56:26

obieone I didn't watch it all through! hmm

If anyone hasn't made up their minds by now, it probably means that it won't make a lot of difference to them which way the vote goes.

Granddaughter Tue 21-Jun-16 18:53:48

Pamela, just listen carefully to what Jo Cox's husband has said today, which you and the rest of OK should consider. Unless of course you honestly believe you are not prejudiced or intolerant to migration.

Granddaughter Tue 21-Jun-16 18:49:56

The comments on wealth are silly and chlldish especially when you consider the wealth of many who are financing the leave campaign.

I would like to add "Grandparent" to these words on Twiiter . "Every parent must be be concerned at the nightmare scenario of waking up on Friday to an intolerant prejudicial Farage type Britain".

The words of Jo Cox husband tonight should leave no doubt the damage to our society the distorted poisoning view of hatred and intolerance around migration are
Ycreating? Let's discuss solutions without prejudices around the tables of the EU not on the disgusting lying pages of our RW media.

Tegan Tue 21-Jun-16 17:57:36

Have you seen it Ana?

Ana Tue 21-Jun-16 17:55:38

Oh don't be silly, obieone!

obieone Tue 21-Jun-16 17:55:34

You haven't watched it either I shouldn't think.

obieone Tue 21-Jun-16 17:54:28

I am asking whitewave who posted it. I am not convinced she has watched it all the way through herself.

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 21-Jun-16 17:50:00

obieone the video is less than 25 minutes long and it has quite a long introduction. Why don't you just stick with it instead of asking others what he says? hmm

daphnedill Tue 21-Jun-16 17:28:46

@Jalima

The EU regulations were changed a couple of years ago and the UK got a favourable deal. No thanks to Farage, who was on the EU Fishing Commission, but to the TV chef, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. The fishermen's biggest grievance was discards, which have been abandoned, and quotas. The UK has generous quotas and it's the responsibility of the UK government, not the EU, to allocate them.

Unfortunately for small trawler owners, they've been overtaken by super-trawlers, which scoop up all the fish for miles and then process them before they've even landed. They and the processing plants can't compete, but that's 'progress' not the EU.

If there aren't any quotas, fishing stocks will disappear and there won't be any fish for future generations. This has already happened with herring.

Fishermen would be cutting off their noses to vote Leave. As you mention, they export their catch to the EU and many of the traditional fishing areas receive huge amounts of EU aid to develop other businesses.

To be honest, fishermen have always had to eke out a living. My gt grandfather came from a big fishing family in the North East and when I was doing research into my family history, I was amazed how poor they were. Many of them also worked as builders, so they had work outside the fishing season, and lived in quite squalid conditions.

I think Geldof was protesting at Farage's hypocrisy.

Jalima Tue 21-Jun-16 17:10:03

Juncker the President of the EU did say a couple of months ago that there would be no EU army as so many of the countries did not support it as they felt NATO and UN were probably enough. (Also of course it would mean more man power probably for each country to fund)
That was the reason given to me Welshwife re the RN - resources would have to be spread too thinly.

I think people were upset with Geldof (do-gooder but wealthy - not sure about his tax status, someone queried it but I don't know) because he may have been aiming at Farage with his insults, but it was the ordinary fishermen who were demonstrating - supposedly peacefully - for Brexit. The fishermen were upset because the people on Geldof's boat are probably all very well-to-do, voting Remain, but the fishermen are struggling to earn a decent income due to EU regulations.

That being said, someone I know has extensive contacts with the fishing industry and said many, not all, of the fishermen he has spoken to recently are in favour of Remain because they export most of their catch to the EU.

Alea Tue 21-Jun-16 16:58:58

Jeremy Clarkson and James May say remain.
Jeremy Clarkson for years has wanted Out

Apart from the fact that "celebrities" don't necessarily impress me, however sincere and well meaning they may be, but do we have evidence for your claim?

obieone Tue 21-Jun-16 16:36:42

So he isnt saying anything different or new to what we have all discussed before I presume.

whitewave Tue 21-Jun-16 16:25:30

Oh obieone you really ought to bear with it as I think that is absolutely essential if you intend to vote on Thursday. No one should vote without this information

obieone Tue 21-Jun-16 16:20:50

I got bored 6 mins in whitewave. Is he saying anything that we havent already discussed several times before?

obieone Tue 21-Jun-16 16:08:15

Jeremy Clarkson and James May say remain.
Jeremy Clarkson for years has wanted Out.

I read, [it could be a load of rubbish] that they want in as it is easier to make their show, as regards borders, if we are in.

whitewave Tue 21-Jun-16 16:07:41

obieone watch the Professor Dougan lecture

obieone Tue 21-Jun-16 16:03:52

The wealthy/elite on the whole seem to want to stay in. It is beginning to feel odd.
Like the light and vested interests are beginning to show through everything.

Welshwife Tue 21-Jun-16 15:32:30

Juncker the President of the EU did say a couple of months ago that there would be no EU army as so many of the countries did not support it as they felt NATO and UN were probably enough. (Also of course it would mean more man power probably for each country to fund) He also said that things needed to change but they could not start to look at it till after the referendum.
Guthrie may be clever man and so on but he did retire 15 years ago so probably not quite so up to date - and there are still many other generals etc who feel we should stay in.
There are many arguments in this referendum and it is what is the best way over all - not just one point which the leaders of the campaign wish you to focus on - that is the point they think will get them the most votes.

daphnedill Tue 21-Jun-16 15:18:58

I suppose Boris and his sister can disagree without falling out.

It's interesting, though, that you mention her contempt (if that's the right word) for Farage. I picked up from a blog I was reading a couple of weeks age that there's not much love lost between the official Leave group and Farage.

At the time the Leave side was behind in the polls and the contributors were discussing how the economic arguments weren't persuading anybody. They were all Leave supporters and were mocking the £350 million a day argument saying it was nonsense and nobody would believe it. They called Gove Dominic Cumming's sock puppet and weren't very complimentary about Johnson.

Somebody wrote that they'd have to crank up the immigration argument and somebody else wrote that's what Farage was intending to do.

I don't think Gove and Johnson DO believe in the immigration argument, maybe because they know that the figure of 100,000 isn't realistic and actually do realise how valuable immigrants are to the economy. Carswell has never been in favour of limiting immigration in the same way as Farage.

Richard North, who used to be linked to UKIP and stood as a candidate for the Referendum Party, was one of the contributors.

Tegan Tue 21-Jun-16 15:12:49

Isn't Boris's father in Remain as well?

Anniebach Tue 21-Jun-16 15:06:17

I thought that James Dyson was very wealthy and he supports Brexit