Gransnet forums

News & politics

We should think of Jo at the ballot box

(287 Posts)
rosesarered Sat 18-Jun-16 08:42:07

Rubbish annie and you know it!

Anniebach Sat 18-Jun-16 08:40:47

The beliefs of Britain First is at the heart of why the country will vote with or against

Anya Sat 18-Jun-16 08:40:05

I find your remark distasteful in the extreme Anniebach

You are effectively saying that I am of the same mind set as this disgusting group. Well I assure you I am not. But I'm quite prepared to say that I find those on GN who are using this death as a way of hitting out at those who might wish to vote leave, beyond low.

I am disgusted by many of the posts I have read on this forum. I am equally disgusted by the mindset behind them and wonder how low some people can sink.

I won't be on GN for the rest of the day as I don't really want to contribute to site where reasoned political debate is stiffled by a group of 'heavies'. Rant and rave all you want I won't be here to read it.

And if GNHQ choose to delete this post because it infringes their 'guidelines' then do be it, but at least I've had the chance to say what I think.

petra Sat 18-Jun-16 08:39:25

Anniebach I'm voting to leave. But I can assure you that these people are as far removed from my life as the man in the moon. I would go as far to say that applies to 99% of leave voters. Call me naive if you want, but that is what I believe.

rosesarered Sat 18-Jun-16 08:38:49

Exactly, and as others point out, this has nothing to do with our vote next week.There will always be some wanting to push their own agenda.I don't think that anybody will be swayed by comments of Kinnock or Bob Geldof for that matter, or anybody else.

annsixty Sat 18-Jun-16 08:31:58

I agree that it must not change the way we vote and as PRINTMISS has said we we should consider what is best for everyone and not just for ourselves. We must not be swayed by others opinions, personalities who we like or dislike should not sway us in our decision.
It would seem that Jo Cox was a very principled young woman who lived what she believed for others as well as herself . Sadly she died because someone else didn't respect those beliefs as it would seem they weren't his own.

Anya Sat 18-Jun-16 08:31:47

No, you are most definately NOT wrong to find that distasteful. Jo Cox was doubtless a lovely woman, who had worked in some of the most dangerous areas of the world. It is sad, and ironic, that she should end her life, prematurely, in a small Yorkshire town on her own doorstep.

She was killed by a mentally-ill man, with, it would appear, connections to an extreme right wing facist group. No such group is being represented at the ballot box next week. Thank goodness.

Anniebach Sat 18-Jun-16 08:23:07

I voted a few weeks ago too, since the murder if Jo Cox I have had the thought - thank god I didn't vote with Brexit , I would have to accept I was of the same mindset as the Britain First movement .

Stephen is grieving the loss of a dear friend , his parents are devasted . I think it his way of trying to find something positive from her death, if Brexit win she died for nothing, if they lose her fight was not in vain

petra Sat 18-Jun-16 08:22:30

I'm not surprised. I expect there to be a lot more comments like that one.
It won't change the way I vote, nothing will.

PRINTMISS Sat 18-Jun-16 08:16:30

No, I don't think so. Her death brought a pause in the awful 'discussions' which were taking place over the referendum. Time for everyone to take a breath, I think perhaps she would have been pleased about that, because it gave everyone time to stop and think about the values we have. For lovely Jo, the debate become too personal, and she lost her life because she cared; the world is a sadder place for that. Voting one way or the other will not alter the fact.

Welshwife Sat 18-Jun-16 08:08:17

The Kinnock family are distraught at her death - if you saw Neil Kinnock on TV yesterday you would have seen how visibly upset he was. I have not seen the piece Stephen wrote but maybe it was not put in the best prose. I can understand the sentiment behind what he has said - this young woman and mother was murdered for her beliefs - Could he have been suggesting that maybe we should think why she was murdered when we come to vote? It does look as if it was connected to extremism.
As it happens I had a postal vote and sent it back almost three weeks ago and so it can make no difference to how I vote. I can understand why you feel as you do but I can see why he has said it.

PamelaJ1 Sat 18-Jun-16 08:00:23

Stephen Kinnock was a good friend of Jo Cox. He has written an article in my paper about the closeness of their families. I have no problem with most of what he has written apart from the instruction that we must think of her when we vote!
I am appalled by what has happened to her and feel great sympathy for her family but
I fail to see that her death has anything to do with the way I vote!
Am I wrong To feel that this appeal is rather distasteful?