Gransnet forums

News & politics

First blood to Trump

(1000 Posts)
whitewave Wed 04-Jan-17 06:03:50

Trump will be inaugurated in 16 days time. Ford has recognised this new era.

How will his Junta of advisors deal with the political world?

Will Trump continue to govern by twitter?

Will his erratic behaviour stop?

Will he be less muddled in his thinking?

What will happen to NATO and article 5?

Will the world survive his environmental policy - such that it is?

Will America be able to contain him?

Ankers Wed 04-Jan-17 06:17:58

I think he will carry on using twitter. And also sometimes have rallies, if that is what they are called, in cities.
When he carried on and on about the corrupt and evil media in America, or however he worded it, I thought he was slightly joking. But looks like he wasnt.
It looks like that is what he really thinks, so he is bypassing them as much as he can.

I cant answer the rest of your questions!

rosesarered Wed 04-Jan-17 10:15:35

Who knows? Certainly time he came off twitter.There are no shortage of political advisors to the President, bet they will have to work hard for their money in this case.

Anniebach Wed 04-Jan-17 10:29:30

They will carry on running the country and leave him in his room to Twitter

whitewave Wed 04-Jan-17 10:54:51

anniegrin

Anya Wed 04-Jan-17 11:05:46

IMO Trump uses Twitter instead of giving interviews as he's so ignorant of political issues he'd be caught out within minutes by any interviewer.

The man's a total idiot but I think Putin's afraid of him as he sees him as unpredictable and certifiable.

GillT57 Wed 04-Jan-17 11:53:57

He is ignorant and terrifying in his ignorance. I think he will be impeached and embroiled in all the legal cases that are building up against him. Other than this situation, I suspect it will be a zombie presidency as he will be hobbled by congress.We are in for frightening times.

Ankers Wed 04-Jan-17 13:54:23

Will he be hobbled by congress?
I dont know enough, but I thought that this time, he has the majority of both houses? - something like that.

whitewave Wed 04-Jan-17 14:08:11

Both houses are Republican so I suppose we can assume that he will have a much easier ride than Obama could only dream about.

GillT57 Wed 04-Jan-17 14:34:27

Yes agreed that he will have an easier time than Obama who was hobbled by Republicans on a lot of things, but I don't think that all of the Republican party are big fans of Trump, certainly if the primaries are anything to go by when there was a lot of bad mouthing going on.
I understand why many voted for Trump, and also understand that a lot of the votes were anti-Hillary, but still, every time he opens his ghastly little mouth I am horrified....

Welshwife Wed 04-Jan-17 14:46:56

Ford are continuing to make the current cars - Focus I think- in Mexico - it is the new build etc they will do in Michigan. That State will be very glad of news of more jobs as so many were lost in the downturn. Detroit is being smartened up a lot too - new businesses etc starting up. I think it is a lot safer now than it was 20 years ago.

quizqueen Wed 04-Jan-17 14:49:55

Why would an American company think it was appropriate to open a new branch in Mexico and create jobs there instead of its own country? Cost of course and Ford have form in this area. They accepted a grant from the EU to close down a plant in Eastleigh near Southampton and opened one in Turkey. I will never buy a Ford car and I also boycott companies which do not support this country and those who use halal meat. If the people who voted BREXIT only shopped at companies who put this country first then businesses would soon change their strategy. Americans should do the same. I hope Mr Trump will be a successful President. He's off to a good start and has not even been inaugurated yet. Obama must be seething!

Welshwife Wed 04-Jan-17 14:58:33

Why do UK companies have so much made abroad in cheaper labour cost places? Even Burberry closed their factory in UK and moved it abroad - more profit on the things all the foreign visitors will buy.
Why is China investing in the factory to build all the flat pack houses - to make a profit from UK workers. Why on earth didn't the Govt put the money in to open the factory making these units? Same with the power stations - all the profit will be drained away - just like we did to Countries years ago.

Anniebach Wed 04-Jan-17 15:34:53

Trump off to a good start? God help the world if he has a bad start to a day

Welshwife Wed 04-Jan-17 16:21:52

I have just read a statement from Ford - CEO I think - saying that it was market forces changing their decision - they are not selling as many small cars and can utilise space at one of their existing plants in Michigan to build the smaller number and so will employ local labour.

Anya Wed 04-Jan-17 16:41:29

Oddly enough I'm not against all Trump's ideas. There's a lot to be said for backing local industry. I hate that our steel works are owned by an Indian firm, our energy providers are Spanish, the Japanese are building cars in the U.K. and many of our football clubs are foreign owned and we can't produce enough home-grown footballers ourselves.

If just seems like selling off all your hotels at Monopoly.

Nothing against the buyers of these industries inasmuch as they are providing jobs for workers but where are our own entrepreneurs?

But Trump hasn't a clue about how international politics works or we wouldn't be antagonising China who holds 60%+ of America's National Debt, or talking about a nuclear arms race when the USA already have a stockpile of 7000 nuclear war heads.

How many does he think he needs? A dozen would do the job. Armageddon!

MinniesMum Thu 05-Jan-17 10:04:13

Welshwife - Excellent! The sooner we start to consume only UK products the better off we will be.
I discovered some wonderful Brie over Christmas from Wales - Caws Cenarth Brie, utterly delicious - it is as good as, if not better, than anything from France. I will be ordering more shortly. Our car was made in Swindon (probably one of the last) but we will always look at the label and buy British if we can.

Lewlew Thu 05-Jan-17 10:07:37

Trump... the archetypal anti-christ?

I am surprised the Mormon Tabernacle Choir wants to sing at his inauguration.

My US friend that visited here recently lives almost on top of Capitol Hill... she's planning to shut up house and go down to Chesapeake Bay home of our other school mate for the whole week! DC is bracing for heavy demonstrations during the parade.

Shazmo24 Thu 05-Jan-17 10:29:09

The Senate & Congress are Republican held majorities and they will contain him...He cannot go ahead with all of what he's talking about doing as they have to be passed....He comes from a business world (although been bancrupt at least 3 times and owes Russian Oligarch's huge amounts of money) & I just see him totally and utterly bancrupting the USA

radicalnan Thu 05-Jan-17 10:30:37

Trump was the lesser of two evils perhaps.

American politics created a space his shape and he stepped into it.

They could have had other candidates and chose not to.

He does say some sensible things and people clearly like him or he would have had no votes.

We need to look at the corrupt state of our own country, before we condemn him and his politics, Tony Blair is still a free man, thousands of children were abused in Rotherham and yet a few abused footballers get all the attention, our Brexit vote is being undermined at every turn by people with money enough to play the system for their own ends.

Why not Twitter ? People once thought the television a controversial medium for the monarch to communicate with the people.

Ankers Thu 05-Jan-17 11:02:15

Is it a definite that he owes huge amounts of money to the Russian ogligarchs?
If he does, that explains stuff about the Russians in my opinion.

suttonJ Thu 05-Jan-17 12:28:29

The best we can hope for from Trump, is that he doesn't go to war.

karinu Thu 05-Jan-17 12:38:29

I'm not a regular on this forum but couldn't hold back...
I believe Trump will have to hold a press conference before his inauguration
when he will be required to utter more than sound bites and tweets.
Can't wait!!

GillT57 Thu 05-Jan-17 12:48:16

radicalnan your off topic remarks about a few abused footballers is both cruel and fails to understand the enormity of these men finally telling what terrible things were done to them in a macho world where it would be considered unmanly to cry or tell your parents what the youth coach was doing to you. If this is the manly world of Trump and of post Brexit Britain that you are looking forward to then I feel sorry for you. I for one am thankful for the few people brave enough to stand up and ask, quite rightly, just how the government are planning to take us out of the EU. It is called taking back control and I thought that is what Brexit supporters wanted. Getting back to the odious Trump, it is all very well and admirable to talk of bringing business and manufacturing back into the US, but the costs will be high and I wonder if those same people will be willing to pay 3 or 4 times the price for their consumer goods? I have always attempted to buy British, and local where possible,chiefly because I do not wish to buy anything made in China with their history of copying/pirating/copyright theft/human rights abuses etc, etc. But by doing so I often pay more. I am happy to do so, but ot everyone has that option.

Rinouchka Thu 05-Jan-17 13:08:48

Trump will find that he will have to alter some of his campaign promises as he will not be an absolute monarch even with a Republican majority in both Houses and will not achieve all he wants.

Delighted to learn that Rebecca Ferguson has agreed to sing at his inauguartion but on condition that she can sing a ballad by Billie Halliday about a lynching. Wonder what the Trumpeteers will say to that!

Re tweets, no problem with that, as long as he can speak for longer, when necessary, and at greater depth, with intelligent vocabulary and without threatening and pointing.

My DD2 (a journalist) is covering the inauguration from DC so will get good feedback.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion