Gransnet forums

News & politics

Revenge terrorist attack

(116 Posts)
Lillie Mon 19-Jun-17 05:31:42

Looks like a deliberate revenge attack on Muslims in Finsbury Park, North London.

ninathenana Mon 19-Jun-17 06:04:44

shock will have to go Google this

Charleygirl Mon 19-Jun-17 08:01:19

One dead and 10 taken to three separate hospitals. London really cannot take much more of this- everything is so stretched- a personal thanks to Boris for getting rid of many police

It does not sound as though this 48 year old is the full shilling but at least he is alive and will not have a good time in jail unless he goes to the one for psychiatric prisoners, its name escapes me.

MaizieD Mon 19-Jun-17 08:17:44

Horrific. Utterly horrific.

But I'm prepared to bet that there'll be plenty of racists thoroughly approving of this today.

gillybob Mon 19-Jun-17 08:20:52

What could more police do to stop someone hell bent on causing harm to others ? Can we really have armed police on every street corner ? If we had another million police then these idiots would still find somewhere to create havoc.

Christinefrance Mon 19-Jun-17 08:26:18

Yes they will MaizieD and that is so wrong, people have been injured and killed. Apparently there were some brave bystanders who held down the attacker until help arrived.
Charleygirl was it really necessary to make that comment about the police.

norose4 Mon 19-Jun-17 08:26:44

Totally agree Gillybob, it's an impossible task. Its minds that need changing , let's hope that the majority of people don't react by becoming more divided because that is exactly what these extremists from all beliefs want us to do.

merlotgran Mon 19-Jun-17 08:30:09

The police were on the scene immediately. There was no lack of police response so your post doesn't really apply, charleygirl

norose4 Mon 19-Jun-17 08:31:24

Yea well said Christianfrance, how can more police stop these sorts of attacks , we would need armed guards everywhere it's impossible. Living together harmoniasly is the only , don't let these extremists of any/every kind divide us.

sunseeker Mon 19-Jun-17 08:32:23

Why don't these idiots understand they are doing exactly what the extremists want - to turn us against each other. To attack people as they are leaving a Mosque is as cowardly as the attacks in London and Manchester. We must all join together, Christians, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Sikhs, all those of faith and those of no faith to send a message to the extremists that we will not allow them to infect us with their hate.

Anniebach Mon 19-Jun-17 08:34:40

Well said Gillybob, more police would not have prevented this, those poor people.

Anniebach Mon 19-Jun-17 08:36:25

Extremists of the right and left are fuelled by hatred

glammanana Mon 19-Jun-17 08:46:47

A reporter has stated that a 48 yr white man has been arrested and taken to hospital,why when there have been other terror attacks has the persons involved colour not been released, information like this will surely add to reactions when feeling are running so high.God bless those injured and killed in this attack and praise indeed for the services involved who are pushed to the limit at this sad time in London.

grannypiper Mon 19-Jun-17 09:03:04

glammanana what happened last night was awful. I do agree with you regarding the information released by the police, straight away they told us he was from Wales and was white, the info released about the man caught with a knife at Westminster on Friday said just that "a man" same with all of the other attacks it took days for them to give us a true description.

Charleygirl Mon 19-Jun-17 09:06:52

I made the comment because the police are stretched due to the attacks recently.

daphnedill Mon 19-Jun-17 09:12:20

grannypiper That's not quite true. I couldn't sleep last night, so was awake and following Twitter as the whole thing unfolded.

There was a lot of anger that the incident wasn't being described as a terrorist incident, despite the fact that the attacker had been heard to shout that he was targeting Muslims. The BBC wasn't even covering it, although Sky was.

Many Muslims were pleading with others to keep calm, because feelings were obviously running high.

One reason the police were able to issue a description was that this attacker hadn't blown himself to bits. He's been named on social media, but I don't think the police have made an official announcement.

Apparently, two people are critically ill in hospital, but the man who died on the scene had a heart attack. The police are trying to establish whether the heart attack was related to the attack.

Lillie Mon 19-Jun-17 09:12:40

I agree it was unnecessary for a poster to bring up the policing issue. I live only 5 miles from the attack, but I didn't expect to see police outside my train station this morning, nor even outside our local mosque. London is so huge in terms of people density, millions of extra police wouldn't stop any extremist up the road jumping in a van and doing a similar thing.

glammanana, I don't think the colour of the attacker is anything more than a physical description, as they are also mentioning tattoos on his skin. It's just a way of identifying someone.

Yes, sad times.

Anniebach Mon 19-Jun-17 09:15:13

No different in saying a white man to a man of Asian decent

rosesarered Mon 19-Jun-17 09:33:33

No, more police everywhere wouldn't help in these sort of blitzkrieg attacks.
Am wondering if government bashing is now going to be included in every GN thread ( including cooking!)
It sounds as if the man in question may have mental health problems.

Anniebach Mon 19-Jun-17 09:41:55

Government bashing will probably crop up in gardening posts too Roses

hulahoop Mon 19-Jun-17 09:48:29

I agree sun seeker trouble is unfortunately a lot don't want to mix .

hildajenniJ Mon 19-Jun-17 10:08:42

Why, oh why can't we all get along together? What happened to British tolerance and acceptance of others?

Rigby46 Mon 19-Jun-17 10:17:02

Because one poster made a comment that some found unacceptable ( and I absolutely agree with gb' s post that said it all) it doesn't mean that other posters then have to start piling in with cheap shots. This is another sad incident and it just adds to the sense of sadness, helplessness and despair that many of us are feeling at the moment.

Anniebach Mon 19-Jun-17 10:18:38

Did it ever really exist Hilda? Our history shows not

Anya Mon 19-Jun-17 11:21:21

At least the OP hasn't called it a revenge 'terror' attack. Why the invested commas I seeing elsewhere?