Gransnet forums

News & politics

Our country post Brexit

(1000 Posts)
whitewave Tue 01-Aug-17 07:49:36

I thought I would start this thread to enable those who are enthusiastic Brexiters, to educate us Europhiles and show that our worries are silly and uniformed.

We hear so little from you, except to criticise our worries.

We have so many threads about the negative effects why not have one which shows the positive effects that leaving the EU will come about?

rosesarered Tue 01-Aug-17 09:13:07

No, you didn't ww you started this thread hoping for another contentious bun fight.
Hope that nobody gets taken in by it.

Smileless2012 Tue 01-Aug-17 09:17:55

roses my thoughts toosmile

yggdrasil Tue 01-Aug-17 09:28:27

I too would welcome some positive posts from Brexiteers. We Europhiles are thoroughly dejected by the evidence mounting that leaving the EU will be really bad for the ordinary person in this country.
I do realise that rich people with money in tax havens, and business people for whom making that money is more important than their employees health and safety are in favour of Brexit.
I don't think many of those are on Gransnet.
And there will be no 'bunfight' if posters put reasons or sources for their assertions smile

whitewave Tue 01-Aug-17 09:34:07

I thought that would be the reaction from particular poster who likes nothing better than a "bun fight" but there are of course far more Brexiters out there that like me prefer not to argue but discuss.

Such a shame that that is your first instinct rather than something positive.

I assume there are others far less cynical and happy to inform?

How about I start you off..

The agricultural payments. Many see this withdrawal from large land owners as a good thing. That the government will be able to incentivise the small farmer, and stop payments to wealthy landowners.

Any Brexiter think than a good idea?

Devorgilla Tue 01-Aug-17 09:40:52

I think this is an excellent subject for a thread WW. I too would welcome the positive aspects being raised and discussed. Alas, I am away for a few days so will have to catch up on the discussion when back if it is still up and running. Good luck with it.

kittylester Tue 01-Aug-17 09:51:42

I think it's a good idea for a thread if anyone who puts forward some ideas doesn't get hit by a hail of derision but allowed to have their say.

I voted remain but, from my extremely limited knowledge, the proposed subsidy arrangement seems a good idea.

whitewave Tue 01-Aug-17 09:59:42

I hope so too kitty

Primrose65 Tue 01-Aug-17 10:04:51

www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-manufacturing-july-industry-exports-economy-brexit-eu-leave-survey-a7870311.html

whitewave Tue 01-Aug-17 10:06:28

Do you expect that to continue post Brexit primrose?

Primrose65 Tue 01-Aug-17 10:09:38

Deutsche Bank has signed a lease for a new London headquarters, confirming its commitment to the city despite plans to move some staff to Frankfurt - Deutsche to take at least 469,000 square feet at 21 Moorfields
www.ft.com/content/4319409e-768d-11e7-a3e8-60495fe6ca71

Primrose65 Tue 01-Aug-17 10:15:09

Well, the exchange rate seems to be the driver of export growth, but exports depend on economic growth in the euro area, North America and APAC. I'm not sure there's value speculating on it.
I am pleased that the manufacturing job market is growing though.

Elegran Tue 01-Aug-17 10:54:02

Perhaps all that export activity was people stocking up in advance of Brexit reality, in case the UK manufacturers run into difficulties thereafter. It may not continue unless some really constructive initiatives are set in place at once.

whitewave Tue 01-Aug-17 11:03:40

I think really it is because the goods are relatively cheaper, especially as we are still in the EU and no tariffs etc yet apply.

Primrose65 Tue 01-Aug-17 11:25:41

It's good that Deutsche are keeping the bulk of their staff in London too. I think the speculation about the financial services leaving London has been exaggerated.

Welshwife Tue 01-Aug-17 11:48:45

I read as much of the article as I could before there was a problem with the page - did it show the amount going to EU countries and those outside or only outside?

I hope the manufacturing expands and gives more 'good' jobs - and that they can be exported as and when.

It would seem from other reports that there is a lack of expertise in the UK which we did not have before - indeed we led the world with many things.

Did anyone see the report a few days ago about the reading ability of the British public? On dear me - it is a sad reflection on the education standard the country must have had for years. Basically it was saying that a huge percentage of the population are unable to compose anything more than a small number of simple sentences or read and understand anything more than short simple prose.
It is the comprehension which is more worrying really. It was suggested in the article this lack of comprehension may have been responsible for the Brexit vote.
This report does not reflect the contributors to this forum who clearly do have these abilities which appear lacking in the people the report was about. It would have been interesting to know the ages of the people being referred to and compare them with the people on here - who I imagine are in the main over 50.

I can't remember where I saw the article as I read both online and in the printed versions of a number of sources last week - sorry to those who do like links - but I have tried to give my honest understanding of the report.

mostlyharmless Tue 01-Aug-17 22:08:08

Scraping the bottom of the barrel here - but those old navy blue passports were rather nice.

I expect new replacements would be flimsier though.

petra Tue 01-Aug-17 22:56:33

I put my views on the subsidies some while back, it didn't go down too well with a certain poster, so I won't be repeating myself.

Smileless2012 Wed 02-Aug-17 09:26:33

I would have been interesting to know the ages of those being referred too in that article Welshwife. I wonder how much the decline in reading and writing abilities has to do with technology.

Abbreviations used when texting, using FB and tweeting. I use punctuation when I textblush.

MaizieD Wed 02-Aug-17 09:34:43

Data usually shows that the most literate age group in England is the over 55s.
Decline in reading & writing scores seems to coincide with a practically wholesale abandonment of the teaching of phonics and grammar from 1970s on. This is only now being addressed. Don't expect to see much improvement for decade or so yet.

whitewave Wed 02-Aug-17 09:35:36

I suppose the ability to buy foods from all over the world. Although we seem to have that now to be honest. Except the ability to purchase food from dubious sources like USAconfused

Not sure that is a plus. As you were folks grin

Mamie Wed 02-Aug-17 09:36:53

I think Welshwife that there has always been a percentage of the poulation with poor literacy skills and I suspect that the percentage has probably not changed very much over the years. I know as a young teacher in the seventies that the notes that came in from parents frequently displayed very poor literacy skills. I suspect that the difference is that we now see those errors in their full glory on social media.

whitewave Wed 02-Aug-17 09:51:05

I think that it is true in less privileged areas today. I was talking to a secondary head at the weekend who works in a school in an underprivileged area, and he was saying that there is a small but in his view significant percentage of parents with low/ no literary skills.

GracesGranMK2 Wed 02-Aug-17 09:51:27

First posts! Now that is why I want a hide button. Nothing about the topic just another attack from 'the usual suspect' Every ...... time angry

... and breath.

I think part of the problem about trying to see how things will be after Brexit whitewave, is that it is a bit of a double whammy (well treble really).

1. There will be Brexit of course which will take years to turn round; (We were lied to)

2. The result of the so called austerity which was really the best excuse the Tories could have found to make deep cuts in spending over the past seven years. These were not designed simply to balance the books, they were part of a dream about how Britain’s economy would be reshaped: with a smaller state, a more vibrant private sector, more balanced trade, and growth less dependent on families borrowing to consume. That dream was never what the whole country wanted and it is dying a very nasty death.(We were lied to)

3. And the level of household borrowing which we may not be able to support. We may be seen to be the fifth or sixth richest nation but because this is based on personal debt it is based on shifting sands.(We were lied to)

Now that may seem depressing and some may wish to attack those who feel depressed but I am - very. (and now I am hearing there aren't enough hospice places so we can't even die in peaceangryangryangry

Mamie Wed 02-Aug-17 09:58:09

There was certainly insufficient formal teaching of spelling and grammar in the seventies and eighties, but there has been a steady improvement since the introduction of the literacy strategy in the nineties.
By the way, is anyone else working through the new GCSEs with their grandchildren? I am amazed by the maturity of critical judgement demanded in the English syllabus. And as for the Maths. ?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion