Gransnet forums

News & politics

100 Years since women got the vote

(95 Posts)
trisher Mon 05-Feb-18 15:35:27

6th Feb is the anniversary of the Representation of the People Act when women over 30 and working men got the vote.
What are you doing to celebrate?
You could join the Askhertostand 50/50 Parliament campaign
5050parliament.co.uk
I'm commemorating it on 4th March with a performance about the Newcastle Suffragettes
www.newcastlegateshead.com/city-guides
Any other celebrations going on?

durhamjen Thu 08-Feb-18 16:36:32

Have you noticed that there is a new book out about Corbyn, called The Candidate?
Can't remembe who it's by, but it sounds as if it would be very interesting, and put a few myths to bed.

durhamjen Thu 08-Feb-18 16:32:42

How about this next?

theconversation.com/the-next-step-for-suffrage-give-all-immigrants-the-right-to-vote-91175

Eloethan Thu 08-Feb-18 15:56:18

Thaks for that durhamjen.

durhamjen Thu 08-Feb-18 15:37:56

labourlist.org/2018/02/watch-corbyn-on-100-years-of-votes-for-women/

durhamjen Thu 08-Feb-18 10:12:24

This could be why we don't hear about it.

"As recognized by the World Summit, social development aims at social justice, solidarity, harmony and equality within and among countries and social justice, equality and equity constitute the fundamental values of all societies. To achieve “a society for all” governments made a commitment to the creation of a framework for action to promote social justice at national, regional and international levels. They also pledged to promote the equitable distribution of income and greater access to resources through equity and equality and opportunity for all. The governments recognized as well that economic growth should promote equity and social justice and that “a society for all” must be based on social justice and respect for all human rights and fundamental freedoms.Social justice is an underlying principle for peaceful and prosperous coexistence within and among nations. We uphold the principles of social justice when we promote gender equality or the rights ofindigenous peoples and migrants. We advance social justice when we remove barriers that people face because of gender, age, race, ethnicity, religion, culture or disability."

May will have to backtrack a lot on her ideas of human rights and fundamental freedoms.

trisher Thu 08-Feb-18 10:00:47

dj It's full title is the World day of Social Justice. It's in Wiki en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Day_of_Social_Justice
Started by the UN in 2007.
Must admit I'd never heard of it so perhaps it needs a bit more publicity.

durhamjen Wed 07-Feb-18 23:57:34

Trisher, I was looking at the radicalteatowel calendar on their website, and I noticed my granddaughter's birthday is on social equality day.
But I can't find out anything about it.
A search gives lots of links to social inequality.
Anyone know anything about it?

Jalima1108 Wed 07-Feb-18 18:52:08

I think you can buy the film on DVD now.

Anniebach Wed 07-Feb-18 17:50:44

If you mean the film dj possibly it has been bought by sky/Amazon/netflick

maryeliza54 Wed 07-Feb-18 17:41:44

I don’t p actually care what sex black rod is - it’s a silly tradition

durhamjen Wed 07-Feb-18 16:43:41

That's one tradition that's gone; black rod is now a woman.

maryeliza54 Wed 07-Feb-18 16:42:21

Making sure that there were enough seats would be a start. When I see other parliaments I think how grown up they look compared with the physical set up we have and the stupid swords width between them anD black rod and all the fancy costume malarchy

durhamjen Wed 07-Feb-18 16:31:06

By the way, I like football, I watch it, I used to teach it.

However, there are some things that are more important than football. No reason why Suffragette couldn't have been shown.

durhamjen Wed 07-Feb-18 16:26:35

It should also mean that they cannot vote unless they are lisening to and seen to be taking part in the debates.

durhamjen Wed 07-Feb-18 16:25:05

When you watch the EU voting system and the voting in Holyrood, it just seems a no-brainer.
Why should mps in London need a quarter of an hour to cast a vote?
I bet someone says tradition. There are some traditions we can do without in the 21st Century.

mcem Wed 07-Feb-18 16:04:58

There's a thought DJ.
If they manage to make the building more appropriate for the 21st century do you think they might also update the
archaic processes and systems?
Maybe through time they might even find a whole lot of MP's who have a 21st century mindset (unlike JRM et al!)

durhamjen Wed 07-Feb-18 15:40:46

I would like it if they adopted electronic voting in both houses after refurbishment.
All that clearing the lobby, etc., is such a waste of time.

mcem Wed 07-Feb-18 15:36:04

Sifting through this thread more carefully, I found granny23 's post about the daily schedules of Holyrood and Westminster.
I was genuinely surprised that no-one commented on how effective such changes would be in London.
Not only would all MP's have more time with families or for improving their work/life balance but surely it would encourage more women to stand for parliament. Better than all-women lists?

GabriellaG Wed 07-Feb-18 12:26:18

luluaugust
Maybe that's a good thing. I've no idea whether or how my 5 vote. I might ask if they do...but not how. grin

sunseeker Wed 07-Feb-18 11:43:19

The first election after my 21st birthday I remember my father telling me he didn't care how I voted as long as I did vote. I have voted in every election since then.

maryeliza54 Wed 07-Feb-18 11:34:57

I’m going to talk to my dgs when I next see him about this anniversary - I’ll look at the book as well for him

mcem Wed 07-Feb-18 11:03:38

My feisty 7year-old GD was delighted when I told her that she shares her birthday with Emily Davidson and explained about women fighting for equal rights.
At Christmas she was given a lovely activity book which I've kept until this weekend. Others may be interested.
Great Women who Changed the World is by Kate Pankhurst
(Bloomsbury)
Emmeline Pankhurst, Coco Chanel, Mary Seacole, Anne Frank, Jane Austen and others feature and it's full of interesting age-appropriate activities.
I googled it and it's readily available!

trisher Wed 07-Feb-18 10:53:14

Mags50 thanks for the picture of the brooch and the colours interpretation. It isn't one I had heard before but it absolutely fits doesn't it? I was always told Green for Hope, White for purity, and Purple for the king and honour, but Emmeline Pankhurst said "For the royal blood that runs through every suffragette's veins" She was great at inspirational speeches. You are lucky to have such a family heirloom.
I know working class women didn't get the vote until 1928 but this was such a huge step forward it needs a celebration.

Jalima1108 Wed 07-Feb-18 10:28:45

DGD plays football.

maryeliza54 Wed 07-Feb-18 10:26:57

Tbh I just object to football