Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sir Christopher Meyer

(64 Posts)
maryeliza54 Thu 12-Jul-18 15:23:04

I’m quite appalled that the OP thought it was fine to start this thread with no evidence base at all as to motivation and used it to proclaim she was appalled and ashamed of the kind of country we are becoming. It was actually quite Trumpian if you think about it - fake news used to stir up trouble.

SueDonim Thu 12-Jul-18 15:04:02

A 16yo boy and 15yo girl have been arrrested and released in connection with this attack. If they really are involved with the assault, then I find it hard to believe that people of those ages have any clue as to who their victim is.

lemongrove Thu 12-Jul-18 13:51:00

However, sometimes strange improbable things do sometimes turn out to be true.

lemongrove Thu 12-Jul-18 13:49:34

There is such a thing as coincidence, no doubt he looked well heeled and worth robbing , or perhaps said something to his attackers ( beforehand) that they didn’t like?
I would be very surprised if the thugs knew who he was and had done it on purpose. A lot of attacks do take place near or in train stations.

maryeliza54 Thu 12-Jul-18 13:42:18

Of course you were making a political point, linking it to Trump.

Greyduster Thu 12-Jul-18 13:03:01

I wasn’t making a political point, although there are elements of the planned protest for this visit that disgust me to the core, and before anyone leaps on me for being a Trump supporter, I am emphatically not. I think the attack on Sir Christopher is too much of a coincidence for the police to brush it off as routine robbery. It is my personal opinion. Others can think what they like.

maryeliza54 Thu 12-Jul-18 12:39:22

He wasn’t beaten to a ‘bloody pulp’ - what happened to him was horrible but the very idea that it was politically motivated is utter tosh and actually it’s quite nasty to be using the attack on him to make a political point.

Greyduster Thu 12-Jul-18 11:11:30

Because I don’t believe it and I’m angry,

Oldwoman70 Thu 12-Jul-18 10:51:14

He received a cut lip, possible broken nose and injured eye socket - all could be inflicted in seconds. The police believe it was an attempted robbery - I gather two people are in custody. Why try to make what was a cowardly robbery into something political?

Riverwalk Thu 12-Jul-18 10:51:02

I'd be very surprised if this was a 'political' attack.

Greyduster Thu 12-Jul-18 10:10:46

If you are going to rob someone on a busy London station you do it quickly, or subtly. You don’t hang around long enough to beat him to a bloody pulp and then take nothing, even if the police are bearing down on you!

Oldwoman70 Thu 12-Jul-18 09:40:02

This was a cowardly attack but I don't think it had anything to do with the fact he was former Ambassador to the US. My guess is as an older man he was seen as an easy target by thugs who wanted to rob him - I very much doubt they knew who he was.

Anniebach Thu 12-Jul-18 09:21:38

How awful, poor man.

Greyduster Thu 12-Jul-18 09:19:44

I have just read that Sir Christopher Meyer, has been brutally beaten up at a London station this morning and hospitalised. A man and a woman have been arrested. It can be no coincidence that he is a former British Ambassador to the US and the US President is about to visit us. Sir Christopher has always been a consummate diplomat and a voice of reason, and if this has been carried out as some sort of perverted protest, I am appalled and ashamed of the kind of country we are becoming.