Gransnet forums

News & politics

‘Grenfell’ bonfire

(274 Posts)
Rosieroe Mon 05-Nov-18 19:21:14

I’m disgusted at what I’ve seen on the evening news. People made a ‘effigy’ of Grenfell tower and put it on a bonfire, laughing and making jokes about it. Some faces were clearly visible on the video and I hope they are all taken to court for hate crime. What is it coming to when a crowd of British people think that the deaths of others in an horrific fire is a joke?

Luckygirl Mon 05-Nov-18 19:37:40

Good lord above - how very crass! What must they be thinking of?

MissAdventure Mon 05-Nov-18 19:39:15

Were they arrested?
Is it a crime?
I'm beginning not to know how the law stands in these things.
Horrible thing to do though. Vile!

oldbatty Mon 05-Nov-18 19:40:55

That event made the news. Think how many others go unreported. Still let's all have a jolly laugh at somebody 'banning' snowmen.

Jalima1108 Mon 05-Nov-18 19:47:23

confused oldbatty

That is shocking Rosieroe - perhaps the news media did not want to give these morons the oxygen of publicity.

Doodle Mon 05-Nov-18 19:50:04

Suppose I should say I find it hard to believe that anyone could do such a thing but the sad truth is there is so much cruelty, unkindness and thoughtlessness in the world I just wonder what sort of people we are becoming.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 05-Nov-18 19:55:04

Totall unacceptable!!!

Bridgeit Mon 05-Nov-18 19:58:01

This behaviour is beyond comprehension. They should be arrested.

EllanVannin Mon 05-Nov-18 20:09:41

Despicable !!
I know what I'd do,but you're not allowed to hurt them.?
My view on punishment is so controversial that I swear I was born in a different century.

POGS Mon 05-Nov-18 20:59:05

Of course it's crass and but that sort of behaviour is not unusual sadly.

Look at the disgraceful behaviour when Thatcher died , or placards at political rallies where politicians are threatened and effigies hanging from a rope are deemed acceptable, I could go on but you get my drift.

I don't think it remotely amusing that effigies of people are burnt on bonfires but some find it highly amusing. Lewes is just one example.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-46103733

An ignorant swine is an ignorant swine and to be honest if you charge one set/group of people where do you start and end.? Are they not all hate crime?

M0nica Mon 05-Nov-18 21:43:28

On a par with the BBC producer who dressed up for a party as a murdered Jamal Khashoggi.

Anniebach Mon 05-Nov-18 22:20:50

POGS, I had never heard of that custom in Lewes, sick , as is burning any effigy

etheltbags1 Mon 05-Nov-18 22:30:45

That is horrible burning an effigy of grenfel tower. However I do find the effigies in Leews quite funny. Politicians must know they will be the target of jokes and pranks but those poor souls in grenfel had no choice but to die

phoenix Mon 05-Nov-18 22:36:21

I agree that is is disgusting and in very poor taste, but what could the perpetrators actually be arrested for and charged with? I can't think of any chargeable offence under the law as it currently stands.

PECS Mon 05-Nov-18 22:36:59

I do think there is a difference between burning 'guys' or effigies (though it is unpleasant) and the burning of a Grenfell model where people recently died which is hateful and deliberately done to make a statement about not caring about the people who died.

petra Mon 05-Nov-18 22:43:01

Some of the effigies at the windows on the model were dark skinned. This must come under the law of hate crime.
'Fortunately' some of the scum were easily identified.

POGS Mon 05-Nov-18 22:45:06

Really?

Says a lot if you condone burning an effigy of human being but that is the problem.

Who defines what is sick behaviour if some find it amusing because the effigy is of something or someone they feel is a worthwhile target or politicians who should accept their effigy being burnt because they should expect to be ' the target of jokes and pranks '.

As I said:-

An ignorant swine is an ignorant swine and to be honest if you charge one set/group of people where do you start and end.? Are they not all hate crime?

Jane43 Mon 05-Nov-18 22:45:54

It was truly appalling and upset me very much. How can people be so cruel?

52bright Mon 05-Nov-18 23:06:21

Unspeakable. I would call them animals but that's an insult to the animal kingdom.

Jalima1108 Mon 05-Nov-18 23:15:53

M0nica I hadn't heard about that shock

ninathenana Tue 06-Nov-18 06:14:45

I read about this on an Australian site on FB the comments show that the world was aware of the tragedy and they were all disgusted by these morons.

BlueBelle Tue 06-Nov-18 06:19:51

Five men (a 19 year old, three in their forties one in his fifties) have been arrested it has to be one if the most unbelievable situations I can ever imaging I felt totally sick when I saw that video the figures were cut out of brown paper and hung on pieces of string some hanging out of windows as they set fire to it they were laughing and whooping with joy
They must be totally psychologically devoid of an ounce of feeling Whatever could enter someone’s head to make fun of such a hideous tragedy immaterial of what colour shape or size the victims were
I think politians or disliked public figures have always been fair game and totally different to this situations ‘poor old’ Guy has done his fair share Teresa is on the Lewis bonfire this year fairly expected
I don’t expect these men will get more than a tongue wagging I d give them hard labour Such nasty hearts

BlueBelle Tue 06-Nov-18 06:21:28

Lewes not lewis,
No edit button hint hint

M0nica Tue 06-Nov-18 06:47:19

Jalima1108 sorry dressed as the executioner not the murdered journalist, not that that makes it less disgusting.
www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/jamal-khashoggi-halloween-costume-party-asif-zubairy-itv-jonathan-ross-saudi-arabia-consulate-a8613871.html

Willow500 Tue 06-Nov-18 06:54:08

Appalling! They're going to be charged with a hate crime apparently but doubt they'll get more than a fine in reality.