Gransnet forums

News & politics

What next?

(514 Posts)
ayse Tue 15-Jan-19 20:46:40

Where is the vote in the Commons going to take us next. Whether remainder or leaver, this is a disgraceful shambles!

sarahellenwhitney Wed 16-Jan-19 12:22:55

Blinko
Tin mining in Cornwall???? what Poldark century are you living in.? Our fishing industry is all we have left and if the EU has its way then the lord have mercy on these brave persons who risk their lives to keep this industry afloat.

Jaycee5 Wed 16-Jan-19 12:23:18

I don't see why either Leave or Remain voters should be blamed for the way that the Tories have handled this. Not only should they have set up a cross party committee with experienced negotiators, they should also have made preparation by, eg, increasing the training of health workers, rather than reducing it, investing in industry, particularly small parties etc., having discussions with smaller countries, many of whom have been very frustrated as they see this as an opportunity for them.
There is nothing about the process that the Tories have got right and yet the people that get blamed are:-
1. Corbyn
2. the EU
3. Leave voters
4. Remain voters.
The Tories don't even seem to be on the list of much of the media and many individuals.
It was always going to be difficult but the public should be able to expect a minimum level of competence from their government.

Grampie Wed 16-Jan-19 12:24:04

freyja,

Why try again and again to count the votes of the people who didn’t vote?

It doesn’t help,

As Remainer I hope parliament honours the result of our EU Referendum.

As promised by Blair and Brown, demanded by Clegg and delivered by Cameron.

Jaycee5 Wed 16-Jan-19 12:24:17

That should be small business rather than small parties. I have to remember to preview first. I seem to be making more mistakes day by day now.

LadyGracie Wed 16-Jan-19 12:32:09

Great post Lyndiloo, but I fear democracy is dead.

paddyann Wed 16-Jan-19 12:37:29

Counting the votes of people who didn't vote has been done by government before ..everyone who didn't vote in the Scottish DEVOLUTION referendum of 1979 was counted as voting no.The ACTUAL result was a win for the supporters of devolution but the westminster crooks decided we weren't having devolution so that was the terms we had to abide by.

It took another 20 years before we did get devolution.
Now they want to dismantle our Parliament,one thats fairer and more progressive than theirs has ever been .Of course they cant afford to let us go,they depend on us to pay their bills .Welcome to the REAL corrupt world of Westminster,where they will do all they can to keep themselves in jobs and their money our of reach of the taxman .
The selfservatives have to put themselves first ,its conservativepolicy!!

Craftycat Wed 16-Jan-19 12:38:50

Lyndiloo you said it far better than I could have done.
Let's just get on with it.
I am 100% certain that within months other EU countries will be asking to leave too.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 16-Jan-19 12:42:33

As yet I don't think you really need to be concerned about being the laughing stock of Europe. Here in Denmark many businesses are concerned that the UK leaving the EU will affect trade with the UK, as duty will be levied on imports, which means that container lorries etc. will be kept longer in our ports until the Customs and in the case of foodstuffs or live animals the Veterinary control has inspected and passed imports. Work has started today in various ports implementing the contingency plans for Britain leaving the EU without any deal in place.

Brexit, I may say, is considered a foregone conclusion here. Presumably most firms that export goods to the UK have plans to sell their goods to other countries once you leave.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 16-Jan-19 12:45:18

Grampie. Blair,? who by his actions, and only by the skin of our teeth we escaped WW3, Brown? and now, possibly, Corbyn.?
Say goodbye to our green and pleasant land.

Aepgirl Wed 16-Jan-19 12:46:15

I find it insulting that people like me who voted leave are being told that we didn’t know what we were voting for I knew exactly, and I still believe it is the right thing to do. The EU clearly needs us more than we need the EU. Are we expected to have more and more referenda until the remainders get what they want - that is not democracy. I fear that we will end up with the odious Jeremy Corbyn as our next PM.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 16-Jan-19 12:47:50

Have any of you stopped to consider what will happen to the UK if Scotland pushes for a new referendum on independence, wins it, leaves the UK and applies to join the EU?

Improbable, you say? Surely not any more improbable than the present situation?

GoldenAge Wed 16-Jan-19 12:48:20

I shudder at the level of political consciousness in this country - the talk of a democratic vote - the vote we had was anything but democratic because democracy implies 'agency' - that people have the ability to make free choices when able to weigh up one informed situation over another and anybody with half a brain should be able to work out for themselves that when the Brexit vote was taken the information being peddled by the Brexiteers was a pack of lies. X, Y and Z would result but the evidence is clear, all the premises that these promises were made about were flawed - now we have a generation of young people who have to live out their futures in a country that is already going to the dogs - higher prices, longer NHS waiting times, fewer amenities as many Euro workers have gone home. The idea that we could just return to the situation we were in before we entered Europe in the first place is a nonsense and shows the lack of political understanding the Leave voters possess - we could never be returned to that state because then we could still trade with the majority of Europe as the majority of European countries were not in what was originally the European Common Market. Now they are. Yes the situation in Parliament makes us a laughing stock but Remainers forecast this situation and it has come true. What Brexiteers forecast has not come true.

breeze Wed 16-Jan-19 12:48:34

Very well said Lyndiloo

tickingbird Wed 16-Jan-19 12:52:08

Mummsymags. Personality contest? You sure you’re responding to me? A Corbyn led Labour government would be disastrous for this country. Most of his own backbenchers don’t want him. He’s always been a Leaver anyway. He’s not to be trusted and like his pal, Dianne Abbott, is totally incompetent. He’s just a puppet of the far left.

grammargran Wed 16-Jan-19 12:55:29

Lyndiloo forgive me, but you are living in a fool’s paradise - or looking forward to one. Jaycee5 a lot of good sense in your post - the negotiations should never have been left to a single party of whatever colour. In an issue of such importance, all of them should’ve put forward some of their best - Keir Starmer certainly should’ve been there - to form the negotiating panel. But then, hindsight is perfect vision. And so much better to try to reform from inside an organisation than have no say whatsoever ........

Mycatisahacker Wed 16-Jan-19 13:00:20

Couldn’t agree more tickingbird a Corbyn Abbott led government would be utterly disasterous for this country.

Inept racist and deeply unpleasant and I am no Tory

MoodyMerv Wed 16-Jan-19 13:13:03

who the hell do these politocians think they are , the country voted to leave, mps don't want to leave cause of their gravy train and payoffs being part of Europe eg mr Kinnock etc. why don't they stop argueing and get on with it, why have one all labour want is a peoples vote we have had one,are they going to keep going until they get what they want ,all labour wnt is a vote to try and take power. is Corbyn stupid or does he want every bit of the legestration voted on,

GabriellaG54 Wed 16-Jan-19 13:17:10

paddyann
I was under the impression that we in England supported you to the tune of over £1000 pa pp

sylviann Wed 16-Jan-19 13:20:19

I am ok that I voted Brexit but not ok with undemocratic people telling me I was wrong to vote for what I want we are at this point in time free to vote how we choose

Grampie Wed 16-Jan-19 13:21:32

GabriellaG54,

Don’t expect an iota of gratitude.

...quite the opposite in fact.

notgoneyet Wed 16-Jan-19 13:25:53

I don't agree EllanVannin - and 52% of the population didn't agree with you either. This country is alleged to be a democracy, and as a democracy, the people voted to leave the EU.

notgoneyet Wed 16-Jan-19 13:29:08

Labaik: "I have been wondering tonight if those who have campaigned to leave the EU [and voted for it] are proud of what they've brought this country to sad ..."
It's not those who voted to leave that brought this country to a shambles; it's what the government have done (or not done) since the vote that have brought the shambles and made us a laughing stock.

notgoneyet Wed 16-Jan-19 13:30:28

Well said eazybee

Lily65 Wed 16-Jan-19 13:32:26

Nice one Call me Dave.

ruthiek Wed 16-Jan-19 13:33:17

Whether remain or leave , our MPs should be ashamed of how they are behaving , it seems to be all about scoring points, whilst the people who keep this wonderful country going are struggling and worrying Day by day . People are being laid off and losing their jobs whilst the idiots In parliament play their games,